Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,343 times

Advertisements

Atlanta has less Northern influence compared to the DC area, not that it has none at all of course.
2016 for Georgia to become a blue state? Too soon. Perhaps 2020 or 2024.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Milehigh View Post
Not to make this political but southerners have always considered themselves conservatives at best (just review political history). If you look at the political map RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map only VA, NC, and FL are 'swing' states. I say that to say this, Atlanta is liberal for the South in the core, but soon as you get OTP, it's not so liberal. DC on the other hand is liberal throughout the entire DMV. I'm not drawing an illustration to politics and the term southern, I'm casting a broader net to convey an opinion that DC and Atlanta are different beyond accent and way of life. The political climate in both of these metros are polar opposites which also contributes to the mentality and interaction of its citizens.
I did not see this, Georgia is not a hard red it leans red. the margin of differences is less 7% 2012, 2008 it was less then 5%. This is in contrast to Alabama 2012 election margin was 22%, 2008 was 21%. Georgia has been more swing then some of the claim swing states the last two cycles. And This with little effort from DEMs fighting for Georgia. Bill won in 92 in Georgia, in 96 he lost by 1.2%.

Georgia is projected to become a swing state 2016-2020 and join VA, NC, and FL.

Georgia's last election as solid redstate

Will Georgia become a swing state? - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

The Next Swing States: Arizona, Georgia, and Texas - Robert Schlesinger (usnews.com)

Daily Kos: Ga. and Az. Must be Considered Swing States in 2016

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Florida is probably the "swingiest" state in the South. Even more so than VA probably. I'd go that far and say that. NoVa's influence is by it's proximity to DC, South Florida is just a Southern metropolis to it's own. I'm not saying FLA's more Liberal or more Conservative than VA, I'm not saying that, but I'm just saying Florida seems more "swingy".

Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,349 times
Atlanta of course. DC was southern at one time but has vanillaed itself to become like NYC and Boston, etc. sad but true. The whole Arlington-DC, and the states of Maryland & Virginia have all changed from southern to vanilla. The major cities of North Carolina appear to be going down the same path.

But thus is what "professionals" and hipsters want so I guess there's no stopping it unfortunately.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM

214 posts, read 410,100 times
Good commentary by those of you that contributed to the political climate of the aforementioned regions. I enjoyed your opinions and rationalizations.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM

607 posts, read 1,372,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Atlanta of course. DC was southern at one time but has vanillaed itself to become like NYC and Boston, etc. sad but true. The whole Arlington-DC, and the states of Maryland & Virginia have all changed from southern to vanilla. The major cities of North Carolina appear to be going down the same path.

But thus is what "professionals" and hipsters want so I guess there's no stopping it unfortunately.
How exactly is it "sad?"

Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
People in Atlanta think that their city is on the same level as LA.
What in the world about this thread made you bring up LA? Was that just a chance for you to bash Atlanta?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Atlanta has less Northern influence compared to the DC area, not that it has none at all of course.
2016 for Georgia to become a blue state? Too soon. Perhaps 2020 or 2024.
More like 2040.......

Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oh really? Washington, DC is a post-industrial, working-class city known for unions, machine politics and a heavily Italian, Irish and Jewish identity?

So prior to 1848 the northeastern cities were not northeastern? Vermont is not northeastern? Chicago, OTOH, IS northeastern?

Your set of northeastern charecteristics are not the historic markers of either New England or other northeastern regional identity - they are, more or less, the charecteristicsof large industrial cities in the USA. Period.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 02-19-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This thread sprang from a claim by a native Washingtonian that "DC is a Northeastern city." That's how this discussion got started in the Washington, DC vs Chicago thread. The OP then said that it's indeed a "northern" city (note how the "eastern" has been slyly dropped from the equation) based on the fact that "Yankees" (from places including California, Colorado and Oregon, which are apparently "northern" now)?
yankee means either new englander, northerner, or American. It does NOT mean northeasterner. And I think that folks from the far west are more northern than southern, in this day and age.

Quote:
have "northernized" Northern Virginia, pulling its culture in line with South Jersey.?
They have northernized NoVa. But they have not made it like South Jersey, which is a strawman.

Quote:
The sweet tea and grits divide is obviously what separates North from South. Bojangles, Waffle Houses (which exist in DE and PA, btw) and cornbread is what it's all about. Those aren't superficial cultural hallmarks at all. ?
They are CULTURAL hallmarks.

Quote:
But things such as demographics, economics, immigration history and political culture are superficial, so DC can be "northern" even though there's not a scintilla of Italian, Irish or Puerto Rican cultural or political influence in the region. ?
You continue to A. neglect the irishness of two NovA congressman, the italianness of the leading loudoun county reactionary. And the WASPNESS of of lots and lots of northeasterners. And to identify northeasternness with heavy industry - again making detroit northeastern, but not New hampshire.

Quote:

So my question is...if Atlanta adds another 1.2 million transplants this decade (the majority of whom are not from the South), will Atlanta soon be "northern" just like Northern Virginia?

Possibly, though I still think NoVa (and DC and Md) are more connected to the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City