Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these states have a more neutral accent
Iowa/Nebraska 31 52.54%
Washington/Oregon 28 47.46%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM

374 posts, read 812,442 times

Advertisements

I don't know if there is such a thing as a "neutral" accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times
I'd say Iowa/Nebraska, though it's hard these days to say what a Oregon/Washington accent is due to the transplants to the region.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Many Iowans speak in an accent that is very similar to Minnesota's.
"Most" would be untrue. You're talking about the Twin Cities accent that everyone associates with the state I'm sure, and only a small percentage of people in the state have more than a subtle trace of that. Obviously, this is on the MN (and a touch on the WI) border of the state.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:21 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
We start debates on the weirdest s*** on here

Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 PM

233 posts, read 374,070 times

Here I go again with these maps! Yes, southern and southwestern Iowa do have more of a general, and bland accent. One thing to understand with that is the majority of Iowans don't live in that area, however. Outside of Des Moines, the population is centered on Eastern Iowa, primarily I-80 and north. This area, in literally all of my experience - is where you will find a more nasal, northern, accent. The culture in this area also assimilates to the upper Midwest much more than areas of Nebraska - so the two aren't actually as comparable as people think. You will here things like "gramma" "grampa" "dee-ad" for dad, and "pahp" for soda "pop" in this area. No different than Northern Illinois, which is even in latitude with Eastern Iowa, Northern Indiana, and Northern Ohio.

Keep in mind the Northern border of Iowa is even in latitude with areas like Baraboo, Wisc. whereas Illinois only stops at Beloit, and we all know how strong the accent is in that area.

As with any transitional area - you have hit or miss accents in all areas - it just depends on where peoples families are from, and where they assimilate to most. The Midwest is never cut and dry.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
For whatever it's worth, I've heard the pin/pen merger in rural Washington and Oregon, but not in Iowa and Nebraska.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
There is a certain sort of Midwestern "distinction" with some, not all, native Iowan speakers, like a watered down version of the accent you'd expect to find in Minnesota or South Dakota.

For me, the clear choice in this poll is Oregon/Washington. Think Rick Steves; his voice is quite neutral.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
I heard that the PNW has the Northern Vowel Shift in their accents, making you sound a bit like MN, WI, MI, SD, ND. Iowa is a mixed basket of accents because it's surrounded by different regional accents:

Chicago and the "Da BArce" accent to the East
Missouri and the "Drawl Ya'll" accent to the South
Minnesota and the "DOncha KnOw" accent to the North
and the fairly accent-neutral areas to the West that becomes the Western U.S.

For this reason I can see why Iowa is purportedly known to have many newscasters and peoples with neutral accents. That is, neutral for an Eastern (East of the Rockies or I-29) state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City