Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city on the West Coast has the strongest Black presence
Los Angeles 83 24.78%
Oakland 220 65.67%
Seattle 6 1.79%
Phoenix 4 1.19%
Las Vegas 7 2.09%
Sacramento 2 0.60%
Richmond, CA 5 1.49%
Vallejo 5 1.49%
Riverside 1 0.30%
San Diego 2 0.60%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
I agree. Why is Seattle even on this poll?
Yes, but why is Phoenix, San Diego, and Riverside(maybe they mixed it up with San Bernadino) on this poll as well? Seattle actually has a slightly higher percentage than those cities and a few suburbs like Tacoma and Renton do as well. Actually even Portland has a close if not slightly higher percentage of blacks then San Francisco these days...

And look we all know the Northwest is one of the whiter areas of the country, though I live in Portland and travel to Seattle frequently and I see plenty of black people daily--you just don't have a large central area full of inner black neighborhoods. In the end though metros in the Northwest will follow similar demographic trends to much of California--higher Hispanic populations and growth in Asians in the future and many blacks moving to the suburbs.

As far as presence of blacks goes on the West Coast--well there's basically Oakland and Los Angeles. Almost every other major city the black population is under 10 percent of the population. But there's not that much difference in percentage between Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Phoenix, and San Diego(all around 6-8 percent)... Hell, Sacramento even has a higher percentage(around 18 percent) then any of those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think once a city or metro gets past a certain number of people(like 800,000+) I think once it gets to that level, percentage doesn't matter as much. If greater LA has a million+ Blacks, and they only make up like 10% of the population, does that really negate LA's Black presence?
If just about 1 in 3 Oaklanders is Black and they are well represented in three fourths if the city, I dont know how exactly LA beats that?

Quote:
Especially if Blacks have already left their historical, and cultural, marks on the city. We see this with South Central, and all the middle-class neighborhoods like Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park, etc. These are still some of the most famous, if not THE most famous middle-class to affluent predominantly black neighborhoods in the US. Plenty of black megachurches for Black actors, athletes, etc. Plenty of Black shows and films take place in LA. And Mayor Bradley was one of the 1st Black mayors of a large US city, and was mayor in LA for many, many years.
Again, how does this equate to Blacks being a stronger presence in LA than in Oakland?

Quote:
And South Central was historucally one of the largest predominantly black geographic city districts in the nation. At this point, percentage doesn't mean all that much. Think of it this way, even the blacks in the blackest states in the nation percentage wise, are still dwafed by the White population.
But that's just it,.Blacks are not dwarfed by any other group in Oakland. In LA Blacks are 4th.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,552 times
Quote:
As far as presence of blacks goes on the West Coast--well there's basically Oakland and Los Angeles. Almost every other major city the black population is under 10 percent of the population.
But L.A. is less than 10% black as well. L.A. is only 9% black. It just so happens that since L.A. is so huge, that 9% of the population equates to well over 300,000 people. A little bit more than the number of blacks residing in the District of Columbia, which is much smaller than L.A.

However, the spotlight has always been placed on L.A.'s black population through the lens of the media because Hollywood is right in their backyard. Because of this, many people assume that L.A.'s black population is significantly larger than what it really is. Yes, L.A. has the largest concentration of black people in California. There is no doubt about this. It is worth mentioning that many famous areas in L.A. county are historically black majority. However, in terms of municipality and the way city boundaries are drawn, Oakland has always been much blacker than L.A. Oakland was about 50% black in the 80's.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
I think once a city or metro gets past a certain number of people(like 800,000+) I think once it gets to that level, percentage doesn't matter as much. If greater LA has a million+ Blacks, and they only make up like 10% of the population, does that really negate LA's Black presence?

Especially if Blacks have already left their historical, and cultural, marks on the city. We see this with South Central, and all the middle-class neighborhoods like Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park, etc. These are still some of the most famous, if not THE most famous middle-class to affluent predominantly black neighborhoods in the US. Plenty of black megachurches for Black actors, athletes, etc. Plenty of Black shows and films take place in LA. And Mayor Bradley was one of the 1st Black mayors of a large US city, and was mayor in LA for many, many years.

And South Central was historucally one of the largest predominantly black geographic city districts in the nation. At this point, percentage doesn't mean all that much. Think of it this way, even the blacks in the blackest states in the nation percentage wise, are still dwafed by the White population.
This isn't necessarily true, as when I went to my father's hometown in Mississippi, I think I saw 1 White person and you can got for miles and see very White folks in the Delta of Mississippi. Even where my mother is from in SC, most of the continuous towns are highly Black(at least 30%). So, it depends on what part of a state you are talking about.

I agree with Oakland, by the way, but I also agree with the point above in regards to L.A. and how continuous the highly Black concentrated areas are.

With Seattle, Central and South Seattle does have a high concentration of Black folks and many of the suburbs to the south and into Tacoma(14% Black) have at least notable amounts. This is due to a strong military presence in the area. Renton, Kent, Federal Way, Lakewood, SeaTac, Spanaway and Tukwila are between 12-20% Black. Bryn Mawr-Skyway, which is between Rainier Beach and Renton is 34.2% Black and Black folks are the biggest group in plurality: US2010 Rainier Beach High at the same time had current NBA ballers in Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson and Doug Christie also went to the predominately Black high school. Quincy Jones, Jimi Hendrix and Brandon Roy went to Garfield High, which is currently about 33% Black. Cleveland(about 45% Black) and Franklin(about 33% Black) High Schools also have about good sized Black student enrollments. I say this, because I think people underestimate the Black presence in an area like Seattle-Tacoma. For instance, this is a high school on Portland OR's Northeast side: Jefferson High School - Public School

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffers...rtland,_Oregon)

Here's another Portland high school: Benson Polytechnic High School - Public School

Benson Polytechnic High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe that Roosevelt, Madison and Grant High schools in Portland are about 20-25% Black too.
So, you never know........

Old 02-22-2013, 05:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
But L.A. is less than 10% black as well. L.A. is only 9% black. It just so happens that since L.A. is so huge, that 9% of the population equates to well over 300,000 people. A little bit more than the number of blacks residing in the District of Columbia, which is much smaller than L.A.

However, the spotlight has always been placed on L.A.'s black population through the lens of the media because Hollywood is right in their backyard. Because of this, many people assume that L.A.'s black population is significantly larger than what it really is. Yes, L.A. has the largest concentration of black people in California. There is no doubt about this. It is worth mentioning that many famous areas in L.A. county are historically black majority. However, in terms of municipality and the way city boundaries are drawn, Oakland has always been much blacker than L.A. Oakland was about 50% black in the 80's.
Yes, it's also because the black population in South LA is also surrounded by several smaller towns with sizable black populations like Inglewood, Carson, or Compton. But you can say the same thing for Oakland and the East Bay.

Though, yes, Oakland as an sizable independent city alone has the largest black presence.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
This thread would be more interesting if we discussed what's unique about the black histories, cultures and populations of each of these cities.

Seventh Street in West Oakland was at one point the Oakland equivalent of Central Avenue in Los Angeles; it was the heart of the city's black community and served as the hub for jazz, blues, commerce and etc. within the community. Prominent black musicians from all over the country came to play at Esther's Orbit Room, Slim Jenkins and the Lincoln Theater. Here's an old picture of Slim Jenkins (not mine):

Here's a photo I took of the now closed Esther's Orbit Room:

Esther's Orbit Room by BayRaised, on Flickr

Another notable West Oakland club that isn't on 7th Street is Eli's Mile High Club (37th Street & MLK) which is still around. Around 8 years ago a club called Black New World opened up around the corner from Esther's that replicates the feel of the old black clubs.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 PM

112 posts, read 257,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This isn't necessarily true, as when I went to my father's hometown in Mississippi, I think I saw 1 White person and you can got for miles and see very White folks in the Delta of Mississippi. Even where my mother is from in SC, most of the continuous towns are highly Black(at least 30%). So, it depends on what part of a state you are talking about.

I agree with Oakland, by the way, but I also agree with the point above in regards to L.A. and how continuous the highly Black concentrated areas are.

With Seattle, Central and South Seattle does have a high concentration of Black folks and many of the suburbs to the south and into Tacoma(14% Black) have at least notable amounts. This is due to a strong military presence in the area. Renton, Kent, Federal Way, Lakewood, SeaTac, Spanaway and Tukwila are between 12-20% Black. Bryn Mawr-Skyway, which is between Rainier Beach and Renton is 34.2% Black and Black folks are the biggest group in plurality: US2010 Rainier Beach High at the same time had current NBA ballers in Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson and Doug Christie also went to the predominately Black high school. Quincy Jones, Jimi Hendrix and Brandon Roy went to Garfield High, which is currently about 33% Black. Cleveland(about 45% Black) and Franklin(about 33% Black) High Schools also have about good sized Black student enrollments. I say this, because I think people underestimate the Black presence in an area like Seattle-Tacoma. For instance, this is a high school on Portland OR's Northeast side: Jefferson High School - Public School

Here's another Portland high school: Benson Polytechnic High School - Public School

I believe that Roosevelt, Madison and Grant High schools in Portland are about 20-25% Black too.
Garfield was 50% black after the Great Migration. The Central Business District was the "black neighborhood" in Seattle during that time.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

In addition to the other persons you have mentioned, there is also Ahmad Rashad(sportscaster and former NFL player, was once married to Cosby Show actress Phylicia Rashad). He was born in Portland,Oregon and grew up in Tacoma,WA. He graduated from Mount Tahoma High School. And then you also have Terrell Brandon, former NBA player, who was born and raised in Portland,OR and graduated from Grant High School.

And then you have former MLB player Brian L. Hunter, born in Portland and grew up across the river in Vancouver,WA.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Sir Mix Alot, Jimmy Hendrix, Brandon Roy, Nate Robinson, all from Seattle.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Sir Mix Alot, Jimmy Hendrix, Brandon Roy, Nate Robinson, all from Seattle.
As is Quincy Jones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City