Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I dont believe OMB classifications are idle chatter and insignificant, at least in regards to 1 state losing prestige and marketing autonomy to another. It could possibly effect global and domestic corporate marketing decisions.

Pennsylvania loses the subconcious glitter and honor of close to 1 M people and a $50 B economy to an already overinflated glutton.

For instance if the upstart Lehigh Valley was to become part of the Philadlephia region it could greatly enhance marketability between the 2 regions along 476 and 309.

Now that the incorrect perception is out there that the Lehigh Valley is connected with NJ/NY perhaps corporate interest sways eastward.

If the Lehigh Valley was a direct offspring of NY/NJ Id be the first person to give them credit ,But its Not and I dont. I just dont think any good can come to Pennsylvania to be losing perception and county data to NY. I'll give NY credit for Bergen County. I won't give them credit for Lehigh County where certain parts are 100 miles from NYC.
I don't even understand this. Surely for the Valley itself it would be economically better to be associated with "Greater NYC area". Most multinationals in NYC haven't even heard of old industrial area of Allentown, but now if they want to expand in the Greater NYC area it would at least show up on their radar. Also, businesses in the Lehigh valley can market themselves as "servicing New York City area", which will give them much more clout. Not to mention, the only NYC PA territory from 2000 census (Pike county) was the best performer in the whole state, so I don't understand how you can even make a case that being associated with NYC is bad for an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
I dont think it is too much either really, probably should be its own place in actuality with ties to both, commuters slight advantage NYC CSA and culturally a stronger tie to Philly for Allentown

One totally non scientific metric

Google hits

Allentown/Philadelphia
20.8 Million hits on google
Google

Allentown/NYC
8.8 Million hits on google
Google

Trenton/Philadelphia
15.6 Million hits on google
Google

Trenton/NYC
9.3 Million hits on google
Google

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I dont think it is too much either really, probably should be its own place in actuality with ties to both, commuters slight advantage NYC CSA and culturally a stronger tie to Philly for Allentown

One totally non scientific metric

Google hits

Allentown/Philadelphia
20.8 Million hits on google
Google

Allentown/NYC
8.8 Million hits on google
Google

Trenton/Philadelphia
15.6 Million hits on google
Google

Trenton/NYC
9.3 Million hits on google
Google
"NYC" is not a proper city name. Trenton/Philly gives only 2.4 million hits too.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Well Allentown New York City is 8.4 Million
Google

And Trenton New York City is 12.3 Million

Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well Allentown New York City is 8.4 Million
Google

And Trenton New York City is 12.3 Million
So now we know that more pages use Allentown/NYC combination and not Allentown/New York City, but for Trenton its the other way around.

I'd bet that even more use Allentown/New York and Trenton/New York, but it is hard to judge since there is Trenton, NY and Allentown, NY in New York State.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
So now we know that more pages use Allentown/NYC combination and not Allentown/New York City, but for Trenton its the other way around.

Yeah I was going through page by page de-duping the cross-over of New York City and NYC but stopped after a few thousand or so

Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
They should have retitled this thread "The Philadelphia Inferiority Complex" (no disrespect to Kidphilly).
Maybe a few might but I don't. Census cuts don't stop me from going to Mercer County and I'm pretty sure it doesn't stop the thousands of people who commute to Mercer County from the Philly area. Overall I actually think the Philly area was represented well in the eastern and southern portions of the Delaware Valley.

However I will say that the Lehigh Valley being added to the NYC CSA was a complete shock to me. The New York area once again, continues to gobble up more areas surrounding Philly. I do feel that it's only a matter of time before the Philly area is absorbed by the NYC CSA as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
The bigger these areas get the more useless they become as evaluating size and how to get around the metro. The best is just to get actual drive times, and add up the number of urban neighborhoods/downtowns if you are actually a city buff.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Maybe a few might but I don't. Census cuts don't stop me from going to Mercer County and I'm pretty sure it doesn't stop the thousands of people who commute to Mercer County from the Philly area. Overall I actually think the Philly area was represented well in the eastern and southern portions of the Delaware Valley.

However I will say that the Lehigh Valley being added to the NYC CSA was a complete shock to me. The New York area once again, continues to gobble up more areas surrounding Philly. I do feel that it's only a matter of time before the Philly area is absorbed by the NYC CSA as well.
What would be needed for it to become a Philadelphia-New York CSA? I mean what's the definition?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
What would be needed for it to become a Philadelphia-New York CSA? I mean what's the definition?

In theory Burlignton County can make the connection today. If Mercer become a full blown MSA NYC county (think is like 24% now Burlington exceeds 15% with NYC and maintains over 25% with Philly)

Though based on the most recent commuter data Allentown connects with CSA NYC counties to make the CSA connection. Burlington already meets this criteria today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City