Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times

Advertisements

Heh, the Pittsburgh CSA now includes parts of three states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
So how do those numbers account for this?

Trans-Bridge Lines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
three things

First take daily ridership and divide by 2 (they count once each way)
Two - This line also services NJ along 78 (maybe even 50% of the riders)
Three - This includes daily trekers for things like shopping and Broadway shows

Combined Philly to NYC on Bolt/Greyhound/Mega is over 20K per day but not all are commuters

There is something like 1K commuters from Newtown/Yardely/Upper Makefield PA on busses from ride and ahre lots just on the PA/NJ border (PA side that go into Manhattan to but Bucks is def part of the Philly MSA) That is on top the far more who go from Trenton and Hamilton NJ Train stations into Manhattan

Reading even further on the link one of the Main depature places is a SEPTA Regional Rail Train Station (SEPTA is the Philadelphia PT System) in Doylestown PA (Part of Bucks county)

Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Heh, the Pittsburgh CSA now includes parts of three states.
And DC has 4 states plus the District in their CSA adding a PA County (So MD/VA/WV/PA/DC)

NYC (NY/CT/NJ/PA) and Philly (PA/NJ/DE/MD) both have 4 states in their CSA

Philly has 4 states in its MSA (DC with 3 (MD/VA/WV) plus the district)

Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think people are getting their thoughts crossed when they compare the CSA populations to the general population of a city's metro area. CSA is a better definition of a media market and the total area that a central city's influence covers. It really has nothing to do with the urban area population of Atlanta, Washington DC, etc.

Interesting to see from my home state of Iowa they combined Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, and gave Des Moines multiple cities, including Ames.

Cedar Rapids/Iowa City is now around 420,000 and Des Moines is up around 715,000.
Well these new CSAs put 1.4 million people from the Philly Media market into the NYC CSA

Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
These CSAs will one day stretch from sea to shining sea (and not just in FLA)!!!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well these new CSAs put 1.4 million people from the Philly Media market into the NYC CSA
This was my first thought too. I wonder if people in the Lehigh Valley can get NYC media on cable or even over the air to supplement Philly media. I know there are parts of Central Jersey where this is already the case.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Well, it looks like Miami is getting a CSA this time around with the addition of Indian River, St Lucie and Martin Counties: adding another ~566,000 to the almost 5.7 million in the MSA.

Raleigh-Durham adds a few more micropolitan areas to the CSA bringing it nearer 2.0 million.

It looks like Austin is losing its CSA and will be just a MSA for the next ten years.

Charlotte's MSA grows in county count but it appears it loses overall county count in its CSA.

It will be interesting to see how the rankings of MSAs, CSAs and PSAs (the most extensive population definition whether MSA or CSA) change for all the metros. There will be some perceived winners and losers and I imagine there will be some robust conversation about it in months to come.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
The Bay Area became less diverse, more poor, more crime ridden and fatter overnight. And it's going to be worse when Modesto is added in next time.
San Joaquin County is pretty diverse, probably even more so than every Bay Area County not named Alameda.

38.9% Hispanic
35.4% Non-Hispanic White
14.4% Asian
7.6% Black

The only difference between San Joaquin County/Stockton and the rest of the Bay is that it has a Hispanic plurality.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
San Joaquin County is pretty diverse, probably even more so than every Bay Area County not named Alameda.

38.9% Hispanic
35.4% Non-Hispanic White
14.4% Asian
7.6% Black

The only difference between San Joaquin County/Stockton and the rest of the Bay is that it has a Hispanic plurality.
Do not test me, I stand by my statement. The Bay Area became less diverse than it once was, more crime and the people are fatter now. And it's going to get worse once that hick Modesto gets included soon.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:41 PM

Well Philly just picked up this dude, you want to talk diversity - Next Census the Loch Ness

The Jersey Devil On Video - 1st Footage Of It Ever Caught! - REAL DEAL PEOPLE - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City