Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
DFW MSA lost Delta County but gained Hood and Somerville. Somerville only has about 8,000 people and has a density about 15 people per sq mile
Somerville is no probably the most beautiful county in the CSA. I dont know if youve been to Glen Rose, but its worth a visit. Awesome place, very hilly, and home to a wildlife park thats really awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Exactly. My point is that Center City Philly and Midtown Manhattan aren't at issue. This is looking at commuting patterns into adjacent MSAs.

For all we know, everyone could be commuting a few miles away to office parks just over the MSA line.
But we do know. The info is available online via census/gov.Id post the link here but then I would get an infraction. And this info unequivocally trashes any notion that Lehigh County should be part of NYC metro.

2.8% of workers of Lehigh County(Allentown) commute to work across state lines. So 97.2 % of Lehigh County residents work in PA yet its part of a metro who's core namesake is 2 states away(75 miles away). Do you realize how ridiculous that is? And its not like central Jersey has urban density to connect the 2 seperate regions. Central + Western jersey have the same setting as the middle of Kentucky.

Northampton County is a bit more associated with central Jersey but still 90% of Northampton residents work in PA.

Lehigh County commuter outflow pattern:

Bold=Phil msa

Northampton(PA)- 18,040
Montgomery(PA)- 4,880
Bucks(PA)- 3,976
Berks(PA)- 3,622
Philadelphia(PA) 578
Chester(PA) 497
Delaware(PA) 464

Hunterdon(NJ) 435
Sussex(NJ) 6

NY (NY) 302
Nassau (NY) 12

There is just no debate to be discussed here. The fact that the Lehigh Valley is part of NYC is a joke.

Last edited by rainrock; 03-11-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So Hagerstown is now in the DC metro. I can't wait until Cumberland and Salisbury is added in 2023.
Lmao

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Somerville is no probably the most beautiful county in the CSA. I dont know if youve been to Glen Rose, but its worth a visit. Awesome place, very hilly, and home to a wildlife park thats really awesome.
For us we did the opposite. We lost San Jacinto County which is basically Sam Houston National Forest on the shores of Lake Livingston but gained Davy Crocket Forest. I really like the SH Forest area and the shores of Lake Livingston.

Lol, so the bottom 75 percent of the Lake is not in Houston but the top tip is. Weird. The Houston area surrounds SJ county almost all the way around.

It didn't add anything population-wise to the metro, but with the highway 59 work and everything, I would think the area would have strengthened ties to the metro instead of being removed.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont know that many of us care, much less are celebrating about a CSA measurement. Im the only Dallas poster thats even commented on this thread thus far. If your really interested to know what people think, you can start a thread on the Dallas forum about it.
You seriously do not understand sarcasm.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 AM

465 posts, read 872,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
But we do know. The info is available online via census/gov.Id post the link here but then I would get an infraction. And this info unequivocally trashes any notion that Lehigh County should be part of NYC metro.
First thing, you aren't understanding the CSA definition. It has nothing to do with defining metro areas.

Second thing, the Census data confirms the CSA. They use the exact same standard for all CSAs. It has nothing to do with NYC; it's whether or not people in Allentown are working in the adjacent MSA.

Now maybe you think that the Census definition of CSA is a joke, which is fine, but has nothing to with Allentown as it relates to NYC, but rather all CSAs, since all CSAs use the exact same standard.

I have no idea why you posted random counties in the two adjacent MSAs, because that's not how it works. It's MSA-to-MSA employment. Whether there's one person from Allentown working in Westchester County, NY is irrelevent. Obviously there are many people from Allentown working in the NYC MSA, or it wouldn't be included in the CSA.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I guess the Lehigh Valley is going to NYC instead of Philly because if you want to work in the Philly MSA, it's easy and cheap (relative terms of course) to live there as well. Whereas a lot of people cannot afford to live in NYC/North Jersey and are willing to do extreme commutes to be able to work there.

The numbers simply arent there to support your argument.

Research county to county commuting patterns. There is limited transit to get from Allentown to NYC and its simply too far for people to commute via automobile.

The Lehigh Valley(nearly 1 million people) is its own region. It is idendendent. That being said historically and currently it has a much much closer relationship with the Philadelphia region than NYC.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

2.8% of workers of Lehigh County(Allentown) commute to work across state lines. So 97.2 % of Lehigh County residents work in PA yet its part of a metro who's core namesake is 2 states away(75 miles away). Do you realize how ridiculous that is? And its not like central Jersey has urban density to connect the 2 seperate regions. Central + Western jersey have the same setting as the middle of Kentucky.

Northampton County is a bit more associated with central Jersey but still 90% of Northampton residents work in PA.

Lehigh County commuter outflow pattern:

Bold=Phil msa

Northampton(PA)- 18,040
Montgomery(PA)- 4,880
Bucks(PA)- 3,976
Berks(PA)- 3,622
Philadelphia(PA) 578
Chester(PA) 497
Delaware(PA) 464

Hunterdon(NJ) 435
Sussex(NJ) 6

NY (NY) 302
Nassau (NY) 12

There is just no debate to be discussed here. The fact that the Lehigh Valley is part of NYC is a joke.
Actually in looking through the data it is odd

Commuting to Monroe PA and Warren NJ are high but look at Bucks, Montgomery, Berks and Philadelphia

This will be another case where a place Allentown has more interaction with the Philly MSA yet will be attached to the NYC CSA - its odd really as attachment is made to far outlying NYC CSA counties

lots of commuters going everywhere though

Metropolitan and Micropolitan - Resources - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
I think people are getting their thoughts crossed when they compare the CSA populations to the general population of a city's metro area. CSA is a better definition of a media market and the total area that a central city's influence covers. It really has nothing to do with the urban area population of Atlanta, Washington DC, etc.

Interesting to see from my home state of Iowa they combined Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, and gave Des Moines multiple cities, including Ames.

Cedar Rapids/Iowa City is now around 420,000 and Des Moines is up around 715,000.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,489 times
Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'm siding with rain rock on this one.

I believe Allentown should be it's own metro but if forced into a metro it should've gone to Philly and not New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City