Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Pretty much describes Miami to a T. Houston has the clear edge when it comes Asia, and Africa. But Europe and Latin-America tips in favor for Miami. And I understand Houston has a larger and more important cargo port than Miami, but the Port of Miami is tops as far as traveling and leisure(and Immigration).
The only thing holding Miami back as a global diverse international city is it's lack of Asain ties. I don't think there is one single passenger flight to Asia. For a region (Asia) that's had the fastest economic growth in the world over the last 20 years, plus it's the continent with the highest population. It's essential to have that Asian connection in a US city's resume IMO when the topic of future Alpha World Cities are discussed.

To be fair to Miami, perhaps it's due to being to geographicly distant. If any flight were to commence between Miami and Asia it would be a ULH route which are very difficult for an airline to sustain. Not so much for the aircraft equipment itself (flying range), but for economic reasons. ULH routes require aircraft with high capacity premium seating to make a route like that viable and those seats must be filled. At this point in time, Miami is in no position with it's O&D base to make a flight like that viable and I don't see that happening anytime in the near future IMO. Miami is heavy on Latin America and at this point in time, the money is in the Far East. That is why I think Houston is in a better position at this point in time than it's other Southern competetors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:45 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
The only thing holding Miami back as a global diverse international city is it's lack of Asain ties. I don't think there is one single passenger flight to Asia. For a region (Asia) that's had the fastest economic growth in the world over the last 20 years, plus it's the continent with the highest population. It's essential to have that Asian connection in a US city's resume IMO when the topic of future Alpha World Cities are discussed.

To be fair to Miami, perhaps it's due to being to geographicly distant. If any flight were to commence between Miami and Asia it would be a ULH route which are very difficult for an airline to sustain. Not so much for the aircraft equipment itself (flying range), but for economic reasons. ULH routes require aircraft with high capacity premium seating to make a route like that viable and those seats must be filled. At this point in time, Miami is in no position with it's O&D base to make a flight like that viable and I don't see that happening anytime in the near future IMO. Miami is heavy on Latin America and at this point in time, the money is in the Far East. That is why I think Houston is in a better position at this point in time than it's other Southern competetors.
Right. Seems more or less impossible for Miami to ever sustain a flight to Asia. Atlanta has a grand total of 2 flights with generally higher O&D and much higher connecting volumes. And it couldn't sustain Shanghai (although that may come back in time). This is all despite being 2 hours closer. I actually would think Orlando has a better shot at getting a flight to Asia (probably Korean).

Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
I am very sorry when it comes to world known Miami takes the cake over the other three. Go to Berlin and ask someone about Houston, Dallas, even Atlanta. Chances are they do not know much about the cities let alone know them.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I am very sorry when it comes to world known Miami takes the cake over the other three. Go to Berlin and ask someone about Houston, Dallas, even Atlanta. Chances are they do not know much about the cities let alone know them.
I do travel the world very frequently. When I say I from Dallas, I can count the number of people who had never heard of it on one hand. Mostly in small cities in China and Southeast Asian.

I won't argue that Miami is the best known, but the other three have very high name recognition internationally.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:
And you travel overseas and do this how often?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 PM

200 posts, read 294,856 times
Quote:
Being the most internationally recognized out of the four doesn't automatically make you "world class". It certainly helps though. What the others lack in name recognition, they make it up with other world class attributes. For Houston, they don't have the name recognition but they have a world class economy to make up for it.

For the record, I don't think any of these cities are "world class" in the sense of being compared to NYC, Toronto, or other prominent world capitals. However, I think Miami is the closest to reaching "world class" status (if it ever does reach that title, it still needs work imo) largely because of its strong connections to Latin America, presence in the media, and yes, international name recognition.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Right. Seems more or less impossible for Miami to ever sustain a flight to Asia. Atlanta has a grand total of 2 flights with generally higher O&D and much higher connecting volumes. And it couldn't sustain Shanghai (although that may come back in time). This is all despite being 2 hours closer. I actually would think Orlando has a better shot at getting a flight to Asia (probably Korean).
If not Korean, Orlando would probably get South Asian connections.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post

I guess it all comes down to quality vs quantity. Miami serves 38 flags(Highest in the South), but as you said, Business is currently blossoming in the far-east, and ATL, HOU, DAL all 3 excell further than Miami in this regard.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Well, ATL-Shanghai was the laughing stock of Deltas international network when it flew. I was privy to some numbers and that flight (at times) would lose a million dollars just by taking off. It isn't coming back. Detroit-Shanghai is a much better performer and does extremely well for Delta.

As for Orlando, I don't see KE, but rather a Japanese carrier. Thats where the market comes from and it makes more sense from a network perspective.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,399 times
Which city overseas people have "heard of" has very little to do with Alpha City ranking. By that criteria, Las Vegas would be an Alpha city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City