Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is least Southern
Northern Virginia 78 43.58%
South Florida 101 56.42%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 08:21 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach didn't become cities until well after the Civil War ended. There isn't even Southern history there. Northern VA is not one bit Southern now, but there are traces of Southern history in the region.
True, but that didn't stop them from having Jim Crow laws until the mid-1960s (segregated schools, buses, neighborhoods, theaters, beaches, etc.)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/313140...=530&x=15&y=11

Last edited by Ben Around; 11-25-2019 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 08:37 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
A Longhouse built for slaves in the 1840's means what?
Miami didn't even exist then as a city until it's founding in 1896.
How did I know there would be a "yeah, but..." in your response?

Sorry Bob, it is what it is. You can't erase nor rewrite history, no matter how hard you try.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:03 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Why must an area's Southernness revolve around slavery and segregation? Those are the negative parts of Southern history, not things that define the South today

Old 11-25-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Why must an area's Southernness revolve around slavery and segregation? Those are the negative parts of Southern history, not things that define the South today
I agree, they shouldn't define an areas Southerness. But, it's solid proof as well as a part of the fabric of a place that its history is indeed Southern. There are a lot of people in Miami that are in total denial of any of this, it doesn't fit their narrative.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:37 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
How did I know there would be a "yeah, but..." in your response?

Sorry Bob, it is what it is. You can't erase nor rewrite history, no matter how hard you try.
What history is there to rewrite? Seriously you act like Miami and south Florida is some bastion of Southern culture when it's not. I grew up there & have lived there for over 4 decades.
Where are the antibellum homes and plantations in it's history? There are none.
Does south Florida have some aspects of Southern culture? Sure it does but it wasn't derived or founded on it and it's not the predominant culture in the region. You should go read the history of Miami & South Florida.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What history is there to rewrite? Seriously you act like Miami and south Florida is some bastion of Southern culture when it's not. I grew up there & have lived there for over 4 decades.
Where are the antibellum homes and plantations in it's history? There are none.
Does south Florida have some aspects of Southern culture? Sure it does but it wasn't derived or founded on it and it's not the predominant culture in the region. You should go read the history of Miami & South Florida.
I have lived in Florida for about half of my life in multiple cities, and go back constantly. I know the place extremely well. You continue to portray a very whitewashed and Chamber of Commerce version of the History of South Florida. It's a fake narrative, and the proof is documented that Miami's roots and History are of the South as much as they are of the Tri-State, Cuba or anywhere else.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I agree, they shouldn't define an areas Southerness. But, it's solid proof as well as a part of the fabric of a place that its history is indeed Southern. There are a lot of people in Miami that are in total denial of any of this, it doesn't fit their narrative.
I think this board is obsessed with the idea that Southern Florida is nothing but unassimilated Cubans and New York transplants
But I personally do not think of it as being removed from the South

(explicit lyrics and video warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QryoOF5jEbc

This Miami based rap group (two African American chicks) have full blown Southern accents and make Southern sounding hip hop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ

And there's Lil Pump who is a Colombian-American from Miami, his accent and style are blatantly Southern to me too (though how natural that is, I'm not sure

Old 11-26-2019, 01:58 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Hispanics in both Texas and Florida largely assimilate to either the white American or black American culture or the state. You seem to think that all Hispanics in the US are either immigrants or act like immigrants, neither of which is true.

And NoVa has a huge Hispanic population anyway
Miami is a mix. You got cultural assimilation and cultural segregation in vast numbers amongst various LatinX groups down there. There are many parts of Miami where Southern culture let alone non-LatinX culture is nowhere to be found. It's REALLY a mixed bag. Miami can change from African-American Southern influenced culture to Dominican culture to Cuban culture within a minute drive. While there is cultural overlap(IE African American influenced Cubans like Pitbull or any young Haitian American raised in Black Miami) various groups still tend to have their own enclaves where their homeland culture still dominates. And Miami is different from The South and the rest of the US in which EVERY ethnic neighborhood is an enclave INCLUDING English-speaking, primarily American neighborhoods. An AA neighborhood like Liberty City or Overtown are enclaves in Miami. Just as much as Little Havana is an enclave. Miami is an anomaly in the South and in the US as a whole.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
What's so important about history? WV was on the side of the Union but it is arguably more Southern culturally than Virginia
Rural=/=Southern. A higher percentage of WV is more rural than VA, but I've met native West Virginians, and many are conflicted over what they consider themselves. Some of them didn't even have accents.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
I think this board is obsessed with the idea that Southern Florida is nothing but unassimilated Cubans and New York transplants
But I personally do not think of it as being removed from the South

(explicit lyrics and video warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QryoOF5jEbc

This Miami based rap group (two African American chicks) have full blown Southern accents and make Southern sounding hip hop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ

And there's Lil Pump who is a Colombian-American from Miami, his accent and style are blatantly Southern to me too (though how natural that is, I'm not sure
Miami is a mixed bag, 4min video clips won't do any justice to what Miami currently or historically is or isn't. Just as much as you can find cultural assimilation, you can find stark cultural segregation in Miami among the Latinos. Cultural assimilation for the sake of making a buck and jumping into the Rap industry, isn't the same as true cultural assimilation due to proximity and or daily influence. Anybody can put on a front "for the culture".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City