Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is least Southern
Northern Virginia 78 43.58%
South Florida 101 56.42%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 09:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You don’t know South Florida.
Remove the Brickell and SoBe glasses. It’s the South. And they’re proud of it.
That would be breaking news to the hundreds of thousands of transplanted New Yorkers and their children who live in Broward and Palm Beach counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 05:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That would be breaking news to the hundreds of thousands of transplanted New Yorkers and their children who live in Broward and Palm Beach counties.
No, it’s not. Doesn’t take much for anyone living there to encounter southern culture or influence of some sort. It’s there.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:49 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
New Yorkers move to a lot of places, including Raleigh. Raleigh and Miami are still southern.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:52 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Lol. These people are not from New York boroughs or north Jersey. They are local Miami natives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ4oglk_v7M

The funniest thing about all of this is that they claim to be Southern to the core. Yet posters on C-D are denying this.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol. These people are not from New York boroughs or north Jersey. They are local Miami natives:

The funniest thing about all of this is that they claim to be Southern to the core. Yet posters on C-D are denying this.
People forgetting the whole "dirty South" rap movement, which was very heavy in Miami/SFL. Or how Flo Rida, Ace Hood, Rick Ross, and virtually all hip hop artists from there claim southern heritage.
Hip Hop aside, native whites sound VERY southern, and yes, they tend to sound like the DeerMeatforDinner guy, who lives in Palm Beach County (Jupiter I believe.)

Old 04-08-2021, 09:40 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
DC is "technically" a Southern Metro. It is Southern according to the US Census, but for all intents-and-purposes, most people consider it part of the "Mid-Atlantic."

https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/gen...nsusRegDiv.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Historically, using the Mason-Dixon Line, MD/DC were considered part of the traditional south, but over the years they have lost a lot of their Southern traits. They are the cultural meeting point of the South and the NE. They don't feel like the stereotypical South, but they also don't feel like the NE either.

DC (and Maryland) are "technically" Southern though.

According the the Department of Homeland security, Transportation, FCC, FAA, DC is in the NE corridor. I think these federal agencies have way more influence and higher budgets than the lowly Census.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:08 AM

467 posts, read 427,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Well said, and great points made by Arcenal as well...

Anyone denying that South Florida has any Southern elements or influences is being disingenuous. I'm not going to necessarily claim it's more Southern than NoVa, as I am actually less familiar with the latter despite being much closer, but that's beside the particular point.

Sure, South Florida is heavily Hispanic and Northeastern and/or Jewish, but that doesn't magically terminate any Southern aspects, particularly for those who identify as South Floridian AND Southern. Not everyone does or even feels any identifiable connection, but that's fine. Just like not everyone is Cuban or from New York, etc...

Old 04-08-2021, 10:28 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I cannot comment on NoVa, will not deny some Southern culture exists in SoFla but it is far from the dominant culture in the majority of coastal SoFla from my 4.5 year experience and why coastal/Atlantic Miami MSA is likely the only area of the state I could live in since it does not come across as Southern (or overly Southern...more like South America meets Santa Monica)—at least to me.

As I visit and drive north to Palm Beach County (and parts of Broward) it feels more “American”, not necessarily Southern to me. I have encountered Confederate flags when taking alternate routes down to the Keys though, overall, not close to what I experienced from a Southern experience when I lived in Atlanta (few decades ago) or Texas (mostly, but not exclusively Dallas, which I visited frequently for work for 30+ years)—and both of these areas have their share of ex NY’ers.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-08-2021 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-08-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I cannot comment on NoVa, will not deny some Southern culture exists in SoFla but it is far from the dominant culture in the majority of coastal SoFla from my 4.5 year experience and why coastal/Atlantic Miami MSA is likely the only area of the state I could live in since it does not come across as Southern (or overly Southern...more like South America meets Santa Monica)—at least to me. Not remotely close to what I experienced when I lived in Atlanta (few decades ago) or Texas (mostly, but not exclusively Dallas, which I visited frequently for work)—and both of these areas have their share of ex NY’ers.
I agree that it's not the dominant culture in the majority of COASTAL SFL, but it becomes quite heavy in many parts West of I-95/Turnpike, in the African-American communities throughout, those communities/towns South of Miami, and some rather large swaths of Palm Beach County.
Obviously, if you're going to stick to Brickell/Downtown Miami and Miami Beach, you will see very little (perhaps even none) of Southern culture.

Curious: Do people here consider Houston to be "Southern?"

Old 04-08-2021, 11:12 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree that it's not the dominant culture in the majority of COASTAL SFL, but it becomes quite heavy in many parts West of I-95/Turnpike, in the African-American communities throughout, those communities/towns South of Miami, and some rather large swaths of Palm Beach County.
Obviously, if you're going to stick to Brickell/Downtown Miami and Miami Beach, you will see very little (perhaps even none) of Southern culture.

Curious: Do people here consider Houston to be "Southern?"
I would guess if you asked the non south Beach/Brickell crowd, the majority of them would consider themselves southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City