Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia will have the most to do... also a great selection of dining and craft beer scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
I think he was talking about the difference in distance between DC & Pittsburgh vs Philly & Pittsurgh saying that they were thinking about the 4-5 hours to pittsburgh was from Philly and not from DC which is a little closer to pittsburgh than philly is

I'd probably lean towards Philly .... however, if this is a friend you see more frequently then maybe do Pittsburgh this time and then next time around use Philly as a stay point and then spend a day going to the dogfish head brewery in DE and spend a little time at the beach if you have a warm weather trip in the works

Old 03-19-2013, 04:55 PM

630 posts, read 994,180 times
Philly-South St, waterfront, South Philly, Center City East for history checkup and Manayuk.

Baltimore-Fells Point, Inner Harbor East, Inner harbor and the Hill.

Pittsburgh-South Station entertainment area, North End and the Strip

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
No offense to Pittsburgh, but that's quite a bit out of the way for your friends. I say go to Philly, but I'm biased.

What are your interests? That'll make some difference.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The advantages to Philadelphia are that it's much larger than Pittsburgh, and there's more stuff to do. The disadvantages are that you'll need a lot more than one weekend to cover it all, and the flight will be longer for you. The advantages to Pittsburgh are that it's a shorter flight for you, and you can cover a good bit of it in one weekend. The disadvantages are that it'll be a longer drive for your friend, and it doesn't have quite the ambiance that Washington DC or Philadelphia do.
I disagree......Philadelphia would seem to be easier to cover in a weekend since everything worth seeing is pretty much confined to Center City borders. This makes it much easier for Tourist everything in a neat perimeter.

Pittsburgh everything worth seeing is more spread out into the Neighborhoods, so it could take more time to cover granted if you know what you want to experience it can be done in a weekend, but if you're coming with a blind itinerary, then it will take longer.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Philly-South St, waterfront, South Philly, Center City East for history checkup and Manayuk.

Baltimore-Fells Point, Inner Harbor East, Inner harbor and the Hill.

Pittsburgh-South Station entertainment area, North End and the Strip
Philadelphia Center City, South Street, South Philly, Penns Landing, Olde City, University City

Pittsburgh The Carnegie, South Side, Station Square, Mt Washington, The Strip, North Shore, Mex War Streets, Oakland, Downtown and Lawrenceville.

Baltimore Inner Harbor and Fells Point.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 03-20-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I disagree......Philadelphia would seem to be easier to cover in a weekend since everything worth seeing is pretty much confined to Center City borders. This makes it much easier for Tourist everything in a neat perimeter.
There are definitely things worth seeing outside of Center City. Fairmount Park and the Italian Market come immediately to mind. There's also the zoo.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
There are definitely things worth seeing outside of Center City. Fairmount Park and the Italian Market come immediately to mind. There's also the zoo.
Still Philadelphia's pulse isn't as spread out like Pittsburgh's is....by staying in Center City, you can cover a lot of what Philly Offers....Staying in Downtown Pittsburgh and you'll miss a lot of what Pittsburgh offers.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
First, accept that I'm basied since I chose to move here two years ago, but out of the three, I recommend Philly. Everyone should see where their nation was born once in their lifetime and it will be very enjoyable in the spring. I note in particular you are looking for walkable neighborhoods with local flavor. Center City is a compact area (about 2 sq miles) with charming nooks and alleys you can easily explore by foot:

(my pix)

Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
First, accept that I'm basied since I chose to move here two years ago, but out of the three, I recommend Philly. Everyone should see where their nation was born once in their lifetime and it will be very enjoyable in the spring. I note in particular you are looking for walkable neighborhoods with local flavor. Center City is a compact area (about 2 sq miles) with charming nooks and alleys you can easily explore by foot:

(my pix)
Pittsburgh offers the same walkable neighborhoods, they just aren't walkable from Downtown, LOL.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-B...riginalfgg.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z...riginalhjm.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o...9be47d2b_o.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 03-21-2013 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City