Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I'm real tired of Ignorant Philly Homers who don't know 2 Sh*ts about Pittsburgh, continually Pi$$ on it, like some insignificant bastard child of PA.
Once again with all due respect, BlackBeauty, with the exception of one of the Philly homers (whose name I shall not disclose) I have rarely, if ever, seen a Philadelphia member "bash" Pittsburgh. Likewise I rarely, if ever, see a Pittsburgher bashing Philadelphia. Our cities are both crucial anchors in a beautiful Commonwealth. Philadelphia is often overshadowed on City-Data due to its very close proximity to NYC/NNJ and DC/Baltimore, which is a shame because it has so much to offer. Pittsburgh isn't really in the "overshadowed" category any longer. We've been "discovered" on City-Data, and we've been "discovered" in real life, as our recent population turnaround proves. I personally think the next "hot" or "hip" city will be Cincinnati once the torch has been fully passed from Portland to Austin to Pittsurgh and then onwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
I will continue to stand by my statement
The central statement I see you making is that in Pittsburgh, to use your words "everything worth seeing is more spread out into the Neighborhoods, so it could take more time to cover." If that is the case, then we are in what some would call "violent agreement." I have offered my view that in contrast, Philadelphia offers a vibrant, contiguous walkable and charming core featuring a concentration of attractions and amenities that might interest a tourist (which I detailed in an earlier post), in addition to worthwhile things to see in the neighborhoods further afield (which I have also outlined).

How this leads to this set of histrionics, I am uncertain:
Quote:
I will continue to stand by my statement, and NO amount of Insecure, Paranoid, Irrational Philadelphia Booster/Homers are going to get me to back down from that....[/b]

I'm real tired of Ignorant Philly Homers who don't know 2 Sh*ts about Pittsburgh, continually Pi$$ on it, like some insignificant bastard child of PA.
I've seen no one doing that in this thread, but if you have, point it out and a rationale approach might spark a more mature discussion for all involved.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM

725 posts, read 1,211,108 times
Quote:

JESUS CHRIST........ Again I said NOTHING ABOUT Pittsburgh being better or offering more than Philadelphia.....

LEARN HOW TO READ PEOPLE!

The 2 Cities However are set up Differently in the way their Cultural Attractions are distributed within the cities! And as someone who has actually Lived in Both Cities for a significant amount of time....I will continue to stand by my statement, and NO amount of Insecure, Paranoid, Irrational Philadelphia Booster/Homers are going to get me to back down from that....

You proved StealCityRising's point. Stop always arguing, and calm down. No one bashed the Burg once. You keep implying/bashing Philly, and saying the only Philly attractions are in a 2 mile neighborhood of Philadelphia. And your WRONG. Did you know Philly is in the top ten visited city by overseas visitors and top 5 by domestic(Americans). And I'm sure 30 million visitors don't just visit the 2 sm of Center City. It's a complete city...

Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Oh and BTW I love Pittsburgh... <3

Old 03-21-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
She said population doesn't matter.
Actually, I didn't read her claim that, although her points in this thread at times elude me at time. If that was her claim, however, I would agree. If someone asked me if Phoenix or Santa Fe would be better for a weekend, I could make a solid case for Santa Fe, despite the fact it has a fraction of the population.

Instead, I read her claiming that Pittsburgh's attractions are not centered around downtown but are instead spread across her metro. It seems a positive in her eyes. If that's her view, good on her. The fact that Philly offers both is a positive to me.

As for this:
Quote:
And I'm sure 30 million visitors don't just visit the 2 sm of Center City. It's a complete city...
This strikes me as an unnecessary and baiting comment. Pittsburgh is a complete city, as well.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Why can't we just appreciate both cities as being great places for tourists? For what it's worth it's been many years since I've visited Philadelphia, and I plan to return soon. Guess what? Northwest Philadelphia IS on my list, along with Center City/University City (or are they the same neighborhood?), and potentially the Main Line.
No... they are not. Center City and University City are two different districts separated by the Schuylkill River. University City is in West Philadelphia. Glad you are returning! Philadelphia has really done a lot and rebuilt a lot in a short time. I think you will be impressed! There are new parks and buildings everywhere. Don't forget to check out some areas of South Philadelphia (Bella Vista, Queen Village, Italian Market, Passyunk Ave.) as well as some areas of Lower North Philadelphia (Northern Liberties, Fairmount, Eastern State Penitentiary), and some of the neighborhoods that surround University City like Spruce Hill and Clark Park

Thanks for your support of the city. We tried telling similar things to Blackbeauty multiple times but she always insists that "Philadelphia is nothing outside of Center City," "Philadelphia is ghetto," "Pittsburgh is better," and my personal favorite "Pittsburgh produces a higher GDP than Philadelphia."

Pittsburgh is a great mid-sized city without a doubt! And it is certainly at the top of the list when it comes to that. I always look forward to going back to Pittsburgh.... it is just that though, a mid-sized city. Philadelphia is a major city, in a major metropolis, in the middle of one of the largest megalopolis in the world. Of course it's going to do things better and have more things to do.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
The central statement I see you making is that in Pittsburgh, to use your words "everything worth seeing is more spread out into the Neighborhoods, so it could take more time to cover." If that is the case, then we are in what some would call "violent agreement." I have offered my view that in contrast, Philadelphia offers a vibrant, contiguous walkable and charming core featuring a concentration of attractions and amenities that might interest a tourist (which I detailed in an earlier post), in addition to worthwhile things to see in the neighborhoods further afield (which I have also outlined).

How this leads to this set of histrionics, I am uncertain:

I've seen no one doing that in this thread, but if you have, point it out and a rationale approach might spark a more mature discussion for all involved.
I never stated that one was better than the other...I stated that the way their attractions are distributed with the confines of the cities, are Different...Nothing more nothing less...You decide which is better.

I even gave a nod to Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in the fact that having most of its Cultural Attractions condensed into Center City, is much easier for tourist to cover....Pittsburgh's Cultural Attractions being more spread out away from Downtown is HARDER for Tourist and will take more to cover because you literally need to crisscross the city neighborhood to visit even the Main attractions.

This is all I said....Somehow the Philly Homers read that as some sort of Knock Against Philadelphia, as they always do....again Just mentioning Pittsburgh along side Philadelphia is enough to set them off prematurely.

Because they think by Pittsburgh being smaller in population it can't possibly compare to Philly, and nothing is further from the truth, if they actually KNEW Pittsburgh at all.

The fact I'm explaining this for the 3rd time, is Amazing.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Quote:
You proved StealCityRising's point. Stop always arguing, and calm down. No one bashed the Burg once. You keep implying/bashing Philly, and saying the only Philly attractions are in a 2 mile neighborhood of Philadelphia. And your WRONG. Did you know Philly is in the top ten visited city by overseas visitors and top 5 by domestic(Americans). And I'm sure 30 million visitors don't just visit the 2 sm of Center City. It's a complete city...
Philadelphia's main Tourist Attractions are mostly within the confounds of Center City, this is a FACT!....You are the one who is Wrong. I never stated ALL of it's attractions are within Center City. Again that just your Paranoid Homerism running wild.

I lived in Philadelphia, I know Philadelphia just as well as I know Pittsburgh. and when I see Boosters such as you constantly throw up opposition to anyone who offers the slightest criticism of Philadelphia...I have to call you guys out on your BS. Not Arguing, just stating my opinion from someone who is well versed in both cities.

BTW we see the same type of Insecure Paranoid Homerism from Philly Booster in the Philly vs. Seattle, Philly vs. SF, Philly vs Baltimore threads on this forum. Any thread vs. Philly and all these Paranoid Homers flood the threads attacking anyone with view and that isn't all Raves about Philly.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I never stated that one was better than the other
Neither have I.
Quote:
I even gave a nod to Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in the fact that having most of its Cultural Attractions condensed into Center City, is much easier for tourist to cover....Pittsburgh's Cultural Attractions being more spread out away from Downtown is HARDER for Tourist and will take more to cover because you literally need to crisscross the city neighborhood to visit even the Main attractions.

This is all I said....Somehow the Philly Homers read that as some sort of Knock Against Philadelphia, as they always do....again Just mentioning Pittsburgh along side Philadelphia is enough to set them off prematurely.
As I stated in my post that you linked to, we are in "violent agreement." If you see someone doing what I've bolded and it bothers you enough to post, then take them on. Since I'm not doing that, I'm clueless as to why you reference my posts.

I would be curious, however, to see any content of any of MY posts in this thread in which you feel I have been "set off pre-maturely."

Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Philadelphia's main Tourist Attractions are mostly within the confounds of Center City, this is a FACT!....You are the one who is Wrong. I never stated ALL of it's attractions are within Center City. Again that just your Paranoid Homerism running wild.

I lived in Philadelphia, I know Philadelphia just as well as I know Pittsburgh. and when I see Boosters such as you constantly throw up opposition to anyone who offers the slightest criticism of Philadelphia...I have to call you guys out on your BS. Not Arguing, just stating my opinion from someone who is well versed in both cities.

BTW we see the same type of Insecure Paranoid Homerism from Philly Booster in the Philly vs. Seattle, Philly vs. SF, Philly vs Baltimore threads on this forum. Any thread vs. Philly and all these Paranoid Homers flood the threads attacking anyone with view and that isn't all Raves about Philly.
No ones boosting! FOH! You act as tho Philly and Pittsburg have equal amenities, and they are just distributed differently. That's not the case. Philadelphia county is home to the most historic landmarks followed by NYC then Boston. Center City does NOT contain even most of the attractions I would say %35 of the landmarks. Your not saying it, but it sounds as tho your saying that they compare. Answer this simple question blackbeauty, because I'm not understanding you:

Do you believe Pittsburgh offers equal attractions/amenities as Philadelphia? This question will let me see you train of thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City