Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
D.C. also has the U.S. government to fill up office space. The height limit in D.C. also causes development to spread outward instead of upward, as I stated multiple times. With how into development you are, you think you of all people would know this. I know there is more office space in D.C. but there are more residents in Center City/UCity. There are over 150 buildings in Philly over 200 feet. Split them all into 130 or so foot buildings and Philly would have many many more highrises (midrises) than D.C.
Below really sums up everything I have been talking about. The crazy thing is, D.C. has more buildings in the pipeline than almost every city and already has this many buildings. And before someone says this building is missing or that building is missing, we have a 700 building lead not even counting Alexandria V.A. and Arlington V.A., don't kid yourself.

Emporis

Philly (134.1 square miles):
76 Skyscrapers
376 High-rises
225 Low-rises
Total: 677 buildings

Washington D.C. (61.4 square miles):
416 High-rise
961 Low-rise
Total: 1,377 buildings

And then this is a bigger revelation:

Arlington V.A. (26 square miles)
6 Skyscrapers
266 High-rise
123 Low-rise
Total: 395 buildings

Alexandria V.A (15.2 square miles)
91 High-rise
59 Low-rise
Total: 150 buildings

D.C., Alexandria, and Arlington would be in Philly's 134 square mile footprint. This really isn't close.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-21-2013 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Well Philadelphia's downtown area has an older historic section and a modern highrise section. Architecture and building types spanning several hundred years. If the definition of a downtown is highrises and skyscrapers than D.C. does not have a downtown. Since Philly has the highest concentration of highrises/skyscrapers downtown in the U.S. outside of NYC, Chicago and San Francisco, I would say every other city has a pretty small Downtown than.
Total "highrise" count rankings within city limits (not metro):

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Honolulu
5. SF
6. Philly
7. DC

Source: List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When it comes to "skyscraper" totals for each US city Philly actually ranks even lower. I believe Miami is ahead.

Source: List of cities with the most skyscrapers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Below really sums up everything I have been talking about. The crazy thing is, D.C. has more buildings in the pipeline than almost every city and already has this many buildings. And before someone says this building is missing or that building is missing, we have a 700 building lead not even counting Alexandria V.A. and Arlington V.A., don't kid yourself.

Emporis

76 Skyscrapers
376 High-rises
225 Low-rises

416 High-rise
961 Low-rise

6 Skyscrapers
266 High-rise
123 Low-rise

91 High-rise
59 Low-rise

D.C., Alexandria, and Arlington would be in Philly's 134 square mile footprint. This really isn't close.

What's crazy is, if you add in Bethesda and Silver Spring to this:

Emporis

Bethesda MD
47 High-rise
44 Low-rise
Total: 91 buildings

Silver Spring MD
50 High-rise
31 Low-rise
Total: 81 buildings

D.C., Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, and Silver Spring Total Buildings: Total: 2,094 buildings

D.C. has roughly 1,417 more large buildings than Philly in less than Philly's 134 mile city limit footprint. I don't even know why anyone would try to argue this.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:

Emporis

76 Skyscrapers
376 High-rises
225 Low-rises

416 High-rise
961 Low-rise

6 Skyscrapers
266 High-rise
123 Low-rise

91 High-rise
59 Low-rise

low rise buildings shouldn't even be counted, emporis is insanely innacurate when it comes to that. basically any historic building can be listed under that.

high rises are only "somewhat" accurate... basically the only thing that is ever accurate on that site is skyscrapers b/c there are comparatively few of them and easy to see.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:11 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
I'm still trying to find out where this whole Center City versus the D.C. suburbs competition came from? This is D.C. suburb downtown's versus Philly suburb downtown's. Center City is compared to D.C., not it's suburbs.
Philadelphia has as about the same population in 135 sq. miles as the DC area has inside of the Beltway (256 sq. miles). So Philly doesn't really need urban suburbs because there's just a lot more "city" to begin with.

What if "inside the Beltway" were a city? - Greater Greater Washington

Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Huh? I never said Center City wasn't Philly's downtown. I said it is tiny, residential neighborhoods included and all compared to D.C.'s built up core. What exactly are you talking about? I said D.C. has an area about 3-4 times the size of Center City and University City with large multi-story buildings. Philly is basically row houses. DC has a higher intensity over a larger area. Philly drops down to row houses.
But DC is mostly rowhouses too. I mean, the area full of multi-unit buildings in DC is a decent size (spanning roughly from Adams-Morgan to just west of Georgetown), but it's not that large. The majority of the core is rowhousing.

And I'm not sure if I would say DC has a higher intensity over a larger area because Center City is a much higher peak than peak DC. Again, there's really nowhere in DC where you can walk out of your door and eat on the ground floor of your building. They are trying to develop that type of lifestyle in Downtown DC, but it's not close to being the same.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
low rise buildings shouldn't even be counted, emporis is insanely innacurate when it comes to that. basically any historic building can be listed under that.

high rises are only "somewhat" accurate... basically the only thing that is ever accurate on that site is skyscrapers b/c there are comparatively few of them and easy to see.

That may be true for every other city in America except D.C. where buildings are all large with huge footprints. Take a look at the lowrise list for D.C. and tell me it shouldn't be included. Have you been to D.C. and actually seen how many buildings are in the city? D.C. is covered with large buildings that are 6-11 stories along with tons of buildings that are 12-14 stories.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But DC is mostly rowhouses too. I mean, the area full of multi-unit buildings in DC is a decent size (spanning roughly from Adams-Morgan to just west of Georgetown), but it's not that large. The majority of the core is rowhousing.

And I'm not sure if I would say DC has a higher intensity over a larger area because Center City is a much higher peak than peak DC. Again, there's really nowhere in DC where you can walk out of your door and eat on the ground floor of your building. They are trying to develop that type of lifestyle in Downtown DC, but it's not close to being the same.

The intensity this discussion has focused on has only been buildings versus row homes. Also, this comparison and discussion has been about future development footprint and where the cities are headed. That is what KidPhilly and I have been talking about. If you go back and read, we were comparing the core's at full build out from Columbia Heights-Capital Riverfront/SW Waterfront and from Atlas District to Foggy Bottom. We have already established that having a few row house clusters here and there is fine, however, the majority of that area should be buildings. That is the metric we used to define the core.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
What's crazy is, if you add in Bethesda and Silver Spring to this:

Emporis

Bethesda MD
47 High-rise
44 Low-rise
Total: 91 buildings

Silver Spring MD
50 High-rise
31 Low-rise
Total: 81 buildings

D.C., Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, and Silver Spring Total Buildings: Total: 2,094 buildings

D.C. has roughly 1,417 more large buildings than Philly in less than Philly's 134 mile city limit footprint. I don't even know why anyone would try to argue this.
Well it's not that surprising that DC would have more buildings when adding in those nearby satellite cities. You act like Philly's city limits are so large. It's only a 73 sq. mile difference. Big deal! If Philly had the land area of places like Oklahoma City or Jacksonville than I could see your gripe but it doesn't. You don't see Chicago posters boosting about if their nearby cities where included in their city proper than they would have just as much buildings as NYC for example. Also who brags about low rises! Seems like your getting a little desperate.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Your right as both cities have lots of row-houses. MDAllstar is making it seem like DC doesn't have a lot of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City