Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
My point is, there are only four ways to get to U City from Center City. Four sidewalks. How can you include that as a part of Center City? Also, I don't see Central Park hurting Manhattan. Shoot, at least D.C. has museums and monuments on the national mall. Central Park is just nature. I think they are both great and add to both areas. My point is not about not having any open space, it's that for cities like Baltimore and Philadelphia, it becomes ALL row homes for miles. Not pockets a few streets then back to buildings, but just row homes.

Also, how am I making the rules as I go along? I didn't include those area's till you decided U City should be included with Center City which is nothing other than Poplar Point/St. Elizabeth in D.C. You are the one that seems to be changing as you go trying to pad Center City stats.
No there are 6 ways on the grid - actually with the exception of Locust alll street cross in the same grid as CC.

I mean 395/695 are probab;y a bigger barrier than is the river between CC and U City to begin with

Its actually a shorter walk than walking accros the Mall in DC (2mins and .1 miles to be exact)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=24th+...&dirflg=w&z=19

I dont see how U City and CC are not directly connected TBH nor is any of the area in the block I posted for Philly row house street after row house street

The SE developments are more cut off than U City - but believe what you would like I suppose. Just think we wont agree

Last edited by kidphilly; 10-18-2013 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 01:00 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No there are 6 ways on the grid - actually with the exception of Locust alll street cross in the same grid as CC.

Its actually a shorter walk than walking accros the Mall in DC (2mins and .1 miles to be exact)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=24th+...&dirflg=w&z=19

I dont see how U City and CC are not directly connected TBH nor is any of the area in the block I posted for Philly row house street after row house street

The SE developments are more cut off than U City - but believe what you would like I suppose. Just think we wont agree

I didn't say the area you posted was row house after row house. I was talking about the statement you made in reference to my criteria. You keep saying I am trying to exclude any and all row homes. That is not the case at all. Also, would you say all that industrial/railroad space right at the bridges in U City is going to be re-developed? That is a huge barrier I think when trying to make it one area?

I am talking about area's like this full of rowhomes by the way in reference to what I said in an earlier point:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...p=5&sz=14&z=14

Area's this large don't exist in D.C. between Columbia Heights and the Anacostia/Potomac River. I could draw the same thing to the north of Center City. That's my only point, Philadelphia much like Baltimore is covered with rowhomes. It's not really a large building city, with rowhome pockets.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-18-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I didn't say the area you posted was rowhouse after rowhouse. I was talking about the statement you made in reference to my criteria. You keep saying I am trying to exclude any and all rowhomes. That is not the case at all. Also, would you say all that industrial space in U City is going to be developed

I am talking about area's like this full of rowhomes:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...p=5&sz=14&z=14

Area's this large don't exist in D.C. between Columbia Heights and the Anacostia/Potomac River. I could draw the same thing to the north of Center City. That's my only point, Philadelphia much like Baltimore is covered with rowhomes. It's not really a large building city.
well the areas you referenced in the East (East of the Capital is pretty much all row homes between the Library of Congress and RFK in many ways.

ALso North of CT has many many many row house streets in that expanded selection

And further to your point - yes you are correct that style of rowhomes permiates in S Philly, West Philly and North to Northeast Philly and covers a vastly larger footprint than any similar developed area in DC - dont think I or anyone was discounting that

Nor were those areas in the footprint I posted earlier.

But yes MD Philly lots of row houses, no doubt

also that area you posted runs bewtween 20 and 65K ppsm resdiential density - higher than most of the newer taller resdiential areas you are posting

BTW - this a large part of that expanded footprint you posted - most of this is rowhomes. I know the earea well, enjoy eastern market etc.. So you expanded to include less dense rowhomes than what you posted in S Philly (which BTW was never in the footprint I posted to begin with) Again I am not following your logic and what S Philly have to do with the footprint I posted (or U City) I am still unsure

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=washi...+Columbia&z=16

Old 10-18-2013, 01:23 PM

On the industril space - yes - some already under way - CHOP is building a 1 Sq facility on one parcel. There are 3 new towers along the waterfront going up - cranes even and the 30th street railyard is being planned for later with other infill

And its not a huge barrier - its a 2 minute walk

Have you ever seen the foot traffic accross these bridges actually?

http://www.drexel.edu/ia/roundtables...aster_plan.pdf

This is under construction now

More Rumblings From the 30th Street Rail Yards: Will Philly Finally Get Its Futuristic City in the Sky? - Fun With Urban Planning - Curbed Philly

Philly Shark: Drexel Rail Yard Study & Transit-Oriented Development

Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
well the areas you referenced in the East (East of the Capital is pretty much all row homes between the Library of Congress and RFK in many ways.

ALso North of CT has many many many row house streets in that expanded selection

And further to your point - yes you are correct that style of rowhomes permiates in S Philly, West Philly and North to Northeast Philly and covers a vastly larger footprint than any similar developed area in DC - dont think I or anyone was discounting that

Nor were those areas in the footprint I posted earlier.

But yes MD Philly lots of row houses, no doubt

also that area you posted runs bewtween 20 and 65K ppsm resdiential density - higher than most of the newer taller resdiential areas you are posting

BTW - this a large part of that expanded footprint you posted - most of this is rowhomes. I know the earea well, enjoy eastern market etc.. So you expanded to include less dense rowhomes than what you posted in S Philly (which BTW was never in the footprint I posted to begin with) Again I am not following your logic and what S Philly have to do with the footprint I posted (or U City) I am still unsure

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=washi...+Columbia&z=16
The area's I am posting are going to range between 40,000-80,000 people per square mile once built out. You won't see any 20,000 people per sqaure mile tracts as all these buildings get filled. All the rowhomes are turning into multi-family too.

Actually, there is pretty significant development happening in Capitol Hill too:

Reservation 13 -- Phase 1 (353 Units)
The Edmonds School (30 units)
1500 Pennsylvania Avenue SE (40 Units)
1550 Pennsylvania Avenue (83 Units)
321 18th Street SE (10 Units)
401 15th Street SE (12 Units)
Hine School Redevelopment (150 units)
Dear PoPville – What’s Going on with the Proposed Development of the Specialty Hospital on Capitol Hill? | PoPville (140 Units)

Total Capitol Hill Units: 818 units

Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 PM

and there are about 800 units in the South Broad area of S Philly you posted - actually generally larger scale projects then the above you posted. But again that is not area I included - as like capital hill to me its still more a traditional rowhome area

Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
On the industril space - yes - some already under way - CHOP is building a 1 Sq facility on one parcel. There are 3 new towers along the waterfront going up - cranes even and the 30th street railyard is being planned for later with other infill

And its not a huge barrier - its a 2 minute walk

Have you ever seen the foot traffic accross these bridges actually?

http://www.drexel.edu/ia/roundtables...aster_plan.pdf

This is under construction now

More Rumblings From the 30th Street Rail Yards: Will Philly Finally Get Its Futuristic City in the Sky? - Fun With Urban Planning - Curbed Philly

Philly Shark: Drexel Rail Yard Study & Transit-Oriented Development
That is really good. Sometimes, I wish people wouldn't try to compete all the time on this site. Can't I post what is happening in D.C. and you post what is happening in Philly, and then we can all just be happy for each other? Do you really think if a city is doing more than D.C., I would get on here and complain or cry that there was more going on there than D.C. like 99.9% of the people on this site do? No, I would say that looks great and good for them. Jealousy is a pretty potent drug for some on here and no, I am not talking about you.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-18-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
That is really good. Sometimes, I wish people wouldn't try to compete all the time on this site. Can't I post what is happening in D.C. and you post what is happening in Philly, and then we can all just be happy for each other? Do you really think if a city is doing more than D.C., I would get on here and complain or cry that there was more going on their than D.C. like 99.9% of the people on this site do? No, I would say that looks great and good for them. Jealousy is a pretty potent drug for some on here and no, I am not talking about you.

MD my issue was was with area and differences; which I am pretty certain we dont see the same way. DC absolutely has more developement than Philly, no doubt

I just personally dont see how you could develop a footprint hat includes the area around National stadium seperated by a huge highway and then claim U City isnt cohesive because there is amsall river which takes two minutes to walk accross

Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
and there are about 800 units in the South Broad area of S Philly you posted - actually generally larger scale projects then the above you posted. But again that is not area I included - as like capital hill to me its still more a traditional rowhome area
Ok, we need to clear somethings up. The VERY FIRST map I posted didn't have many rowhouses at all. You said it was 8 miles squared which I agree with, however, you included many area's I didn't include on my map when you tried to post a similar area in Philly. I didn't post those area's like up 7th street, 14th street, 13th street, H street etc. etc. how about you draw the map for D.C. with cut outs up streets like you did with your map and compare that?

Let's be clear here, what do you think the size of Capitol Hill is south of H Street, West of Hill East, and north of Capital Riverfront? Are you really trying to say that it's comparable to the area I posted for Philly?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-18-2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
MD my issue was was with area and differences; which I am pretty certain we dont see the same way. DC absolutely has more developement than Philly, no doubt

I just personally dont see how you could develop a footprint hat includes the area around National stadium seperated by a huge highway and then claim U City isnt cohesive because there is amsall river which takes two minutes to walk accross

I said you could include U City but I would then include up 7th street, 9th Street, 13th Street, 14th street, and down H Street like you did with your map headed down toward south Philly. Also, if you include all those big buildings with rowhomes, I should include Dupont Circle too because let's be honest, Center City has rowhouses in the heart of it which I have not even brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City