Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

maybe am being a little generous for DC

So about 7 sq miles compared to say 10-11 sq miles

And this was my point all along really that 25 sq miles was significantly over stating it and that 1 sq mile was significantly understating the comparison for Philly

DC def has a larger footprint area wise of commercial and the sorts

How many people work in this space for DC - know it is significant but dont recall the number. I know this is also larger for DC

For Philly its 280K on the CC side and 80K on the U City side so about 360k

think DC is over 600K but dont recall the actual number

Last edited by kidphilly; 10-18-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 02:14 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

maybe am being a little generous for DC

So about 7 sq miles compared to say 10-11 sq miles

And this was my point all along really that 25 sq miles was significantly over stating it and that 1 sq mile was significantly understating the comparison for Philly

DC def has a larger footprint area wise of commercial and the sorts

How many people work in this space for DC - know it is significant but dont recall the number. I know this is also larger for DC

For Philly its 280K on the CC side and 80K on the U City side so about 360k

think DC is over 600K but dont recall the actual number

How come you cut out Columbia Heights? Also, why did you cut out Howard University and the massive redevelopment taking place in all those parking lots and across their campus? How come you didn't include H Street?

By the way, I really appreciate you making that map, it's pretty cool. Could you include the area's I just talked about and make a new map?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:19 PM

was a quick estimate - probably not perfect. still point is no where near 25 sq miles. I'll buy 10+ though intensity dimishes moreso than any comparison would to NYC - You and DC are the ones that always make the DC footprint comparison - no one else even those very familiar seem to agree.

I just think overall you are comparing the wrong scale

On this topic of urbanity one thing to me is certain the urban expanse (albeit rowhomes) is significantly larger in Philly - probably more than two-fold. The DC "DT" footprint does cover a larger area - probably not quite as intense as the smaller footprinted CC on the whole

Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
was a quick estimate - probably not perfect. still point is no where near 25 sq miles. I'll buy 10+ though intensity dimishes moreso than any comparison would to NYC - You and DC are the ones that always make the DC footprint comparison - no one else even those very familiar seem to agree.

I just think overall you are comparing the wrong scale

On this topic of urbanity one thing to me is certain the urban expanse (albeit rowhomes) is significantly larger in Philly - probably more than two-fold. The DC "DT" footprint does cover a larger area - probably not quite as intense as the smaller footprinted CC on the whole

I can agree with all you just said.

I think D.C. has way more large activity nodes developing outside this area though. Philly has no answer for the Poplar Point/St. Elizabeth area nor does Philly have an answer to the Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor, Potomac Yard, Crystal City, Pentagon City, Bethesda, Silver Spring, White Flint, or Downtown Tyson's. Overall, Philly will always have a larger uninterrupted urban footprint, but D.C. will have four times the amount of major downtown's which to me are more important for vibrancy. A south Philly row house street can't touch Silver Spring vibrancy. But to each his own right.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I can agree with all you just said.

I think D.C. has way more large activity nodes developing outside this area though. Philly has no answer for the Poplar Point/St. Elizabeth area nor does Philly have an answer to the Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor, Potomac Yard, Crystal City, Pentagon City, Bethesda, Silver Spring, White Flint, or Downtown Tyson's. Overall, Philly will always have a larger uninterrupted urban footprint, but D.C. will have four times the amount of major downtown's which to me are more important for vibrancy. A south Philly row house street can't touch Silver Spring vibrancy. But to each his own right.

Guess to each their own - but would say Pasyunk Sq to me is more interestingly vibrant than is SS. SS doesnt really do anything for me but is very nice adition to the area and good job center. In terms of organic vibrancy - ehh

DC does have more satallite areas but I think you also discount some of the other DTs around Philly

Places like Manuyunk, Chestnut Hill, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Wayne, West Chester, Media, Conshy, Doylestown, Wilmington, Hoddonfield to name a few

MD have you ever explored the areas around Philly (not KOP) am just curious. They are not like Bethesda but are pretty active

Old 10-18-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Guess to each their own - but would say Pasyunk Sq to me is more interestingly vibrant than is SS. SS doesnt really do anything for me but is very nice adition to the area and good job center. In terms of organic vibrancy - ehh

DC does have more satallite areas but I think you also discount some of the other DTs around Philly

Places like Manuyunk, Chestnut Hill, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Wayne, West Chester, Media, Conshy, Doylestown, Wilmington, Hoddonfield to name a few

MD have you ever explored the areas around Philly (not KOP) am just curious. They are not like Bethesda but are pretty active

I haven't explored all of Philly, but I am not talking about old town Alexandria vibrancy, you know me, I'm talking about large building vibrancy. I don't do the "cute retail strips" sort of thing.

I will give you an example, guess what my favorite part of NYC is?

It's Midtown Manhattan. Now how many people do you know that would say that? Most would not.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I haven't explored all of Philly, but I am not talking about old town Alexandria vibrancy, you know me, I'm talking about large building vibrancy. I don't do the "cute retail strips" sort of thing.

I will give you an example, guess what my favorite part of NYC is?

It's Midtown Manhattan. Now how many people do you know that would say that? Most would not.

Thats all good many people enjoy Midtown. Thing is no place else in the US - even larger DTS (maybe with the exception of Chicago) have anything but cute little re creations. And I am hopeful you are trying to say SS, Bethesda, Ballston, Tysons are like Midtown... but maybe you are - Maybe if you like White Plains NY that is the better comparator

BTW is this a cute retail strip?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wilmi...94.14,,1,-2.94

Imagine this is what you dont like though

Is a train station two blocks from here (Maybe an original TOD type town)
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=9...w&mra=ltm&z=14

or this
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=West+...43.31,,0,13.92

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=West+...,296.41,,0,0.2

Old 10-18-2013, 03:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Same with me, none of those areas do anything for me b/c they are so removed. I have no interest in TOD development in the suburbs, b/c well, it's the suburbs, and what you end up with is a bunch of dense insular satellite cities. Definitely something like White Plains. It's basically like they are bringing back a modern version of better organized suburban development with central downtowns. While I applaud that style of development for those who wish to live out there, it simply won't ever place living in or near a massive urban center. That's one thing I don't like about DC at the metro level, when I looked for jobs there in the past, so many of the non gov related jobs seemed to be out in Silver Spring, Chevy Chase, Bethesda, etc. My experience is a large portion of people in the DC area are actually suburban oriented, definitely more so than at least Chicago or New York. DC itself is cool though, it would be nice to have a lot more people move in to the actual city. There is great housing stock esp on the East Side that could use touching up.

Last edited by grapico; 10-18-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 PM

DC is sort of hybrid of older styling with new - some of both really

Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Tough to say. While the DC area probably has more vibrancy in it's downtown areas, there are still plenty of major urban downtowns outside of the Philly city proper.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...ROlg!2e0&fid=5

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...5g9g!2e0&fid=5

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#....4382632&fid=5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City