Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
From a cultural amenities and livability standpoint, I agree with you. This, however, is talking about places to live that are outside of the core of D.C. that still give the option for urban living. D.C. is expensive and many people that want an urban lifestyle but can't afford the core of the city live outside of the city proper. D.C. is one of the few cities that offers this level of urbanity outside of the core. In most other cities, you would have no option like these satellite cities outside of their actual downtown's and Atlanta is one of those examples.
Decatur and Marietta have pretty good downtowns. They're not nearly as intense as the DC ones, but they are walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
LOL....umm no.

Couple things.....

Subway access?
you don't need one if you are downtown.
Subway Frequency?
same thing
Amount of parking lots?
not very relevant and most don't have *that* many parking lots
Population Density?
you asked what is more urban, not which has the most people. most of those places have a decent downtown even if the rest of the city isn't that great.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Is this post serious? NYC, SF, LA, Chicago and Boston are the only one's comparable. The rest... lol.
of course it's serious, you think bethesda and silver springs have better downtowns than philadelphia seattle or portland???

Quote:
I think you are mistaking what is being argued here. This thread and discussion is not about amenities. It's about urban built form. Things like population density, built form (building street relationship), rapid transit access and frequency, walkability, and urban design. If you go back and read, nobody is talking about museums, restaurants, or cultural attractions. That is for another thread and let's be honest here, you are talking about Washington D.C. which is a peer to NYC, LA, and Chicago etc. when talking about cultural offerings. D.C. doesn't compete with the lower tiered cities you are listing.
No, you are talking about the suburbs of washington DC. I think you are really underrating these other cities downtowns. downtowns across the country have had lots of revitalization.
Population density is *not* urban built form. Doesn't walkability have to do with where you actually walk to? That is what walkscore is based on, no? If one place has way more stuff, then walkability to things you need should be up. Walkability is DIRECTLY tied to amenities.

You are reallllly moving the goal posts around a lot here to make your case.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
University City is apart of Philly's core so it's not an outside core downtown like the ones in D.C. Kidphilly defined the core already. University City was added to Center City, without it being added to Center City, Philly's core is diminished pretty substantially. Are you saying University City shouldn't be included with Center City when going up against D.C.'s core? University City was added to Center City I believe to give Philly a fighting chance against the D.C. urban core footprint.
All I'm saying is that University City and Templetown are not part of the downtown area of Philly. Center City alone rivals anything urban in the entire DC city proper.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 10-19-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
I will give you an example, I want to go somewhere other than Center City for an urban experience, with high-rise's and subway access, where do I go?
If the DC suburbs are so urban why is Center City Philly filled with MD and Virginia license plates every weekend? Center City is by far the second biggest/best urban experience on the east coast behind only Manhattan.

Center City Philly is becoming a decaffeinated version of Manhattan/Brooklyn. The word is out and quite frankly Im getting a little annoyed at the influx of mid-lantic urban posers blocking up Center City streets trying to parallel park in a futile fashion.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
All I'm saying is that University City and Templetown are not part of the downtown area of Philly. Center City alone rivals anything urban in the entire DC city proper.

Bwaaaahhhhhh.......

Center City is great, but let's not act like it's really that large. It's a fraction of D.C.'s core so no, it doesn't rival anything in D.C. proper. How long do you think it would take to walk from the northern half of Center City to the southern half? If someone wants to live in a small little radius, then Center City is great, but if someone desires to leave those few blocks, they will face a major drop of in intensity. That is what the last 10 pages of this thread has been discussing. The core.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-19-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
If the DC suburbs are so urban why is Center City Philly filled with MD and Virginia license plates every weekend? Center City is by far the second biggest/best urban experience on the east coast behind only Manhattan.

Center City Philly is becoming a decaffeinated version of Manhattan/Brooklyn. The word is out and quite frankly Im getting a little annoyed at the influx of mid-lantic urban posers blocking up Center City streets trying to parallel park in a futile fashion.

I'm still trying to find out where this whole Center City versus the D.C. suburbs competition came from? This is D.C. suburb downtown's versus Philly suburb downtown's. Center City is compared to D.C., not it's suburbs.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:25 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
I'm still trying to find out where this whole Center City versus the D.C. suburbs competition came from? This is D.C. suburb downtown's versus Philly suburb downtown's. Center City is compared to D.C., not it's suburbs.
The history of the 2 regions has to be mentioned in this discussion . The Philadelphia suburban downtowns were industrial dynamos, we all now what happened to post industrial small towns in the usa. Left behind, forgotten about with the new growth in the surrounding suburbs.

The downtowns of DC are in large part modern nuevo rich bedroom communities spawned by the federal government. A specific bonus gift in large part paid by me and everyone else throughout the US.

But when you talk pure urbanity Wilmington,Trenton,Upper Darby, Norristown,Conshohocken Coatesville,Downingtown make Bethesda,Alexandria, Silver Spring look suburbanesque.

That's not to say that Bethesda ,Silver Springs aren't more efficient and modern than the Philly suburbs because they are. Again you can thank the rest of the countrys hard work for your fresh shiny energentic little hamlets.

Did I mention I hate DC with A Passion

Old 10-20-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The history of the 2 regions has to be mentioned in this discussion . The Philadelphia suburban downtowns were industrial dynamos, we all now what happened to post industrial small towns in the usa. Left behind, forgotten about with the new growth in the surrounding suburbs.

The downtowns of DC are in large part modern nuevo rich bedroom communities spawned by the federal government. A specific bonus gift in large part paid by me and everyone else throughout the US.

But when you talk pure urbanity Wilmington,Trenton,Upper Darby, Norristown,Conshohocken Coatesville,Downingtown make Bethesda,Alexandria, Silver Spring look suburbanesque.

That's not to say that Bethesda ,Silver Springs aren't more efficient and modern than the Philly suburbs because they are. Again you can thank the rest of the countrys hard work for your fresh shiny energentic little hamlets.

Did I mention I hate DC with A Passion
Believe me, everyone can pretty much sense your jealousy and hatred from a mile away. Just keep your &%% up I-95 and we will be good.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,472 times
Philly is a lot more urban than DC.
DC's landscape has too much southern and country influence by American standards IMO.
Philly's urban built form (as well as NYC's, Baltimore's, Boston's, Chicago's, SF's) beats DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City