Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what city would you live in permanently
NYC 19 11.52%
LA 19 11.52%
Chicago 32 19.39%
DC 7 4.24%
SF 22 13.33%
Boston 9 5.45%
Philly 23 13.94%
Dallas 13 7.88%
Miami 8 4.85%
Houston 13 7.88%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times

Advertisements

New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
Boston
Washington D.C.
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Miami
Houston
Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Chicago
DC
Houston
New York
Dallas
Miami
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Boston

Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
(ignoring the OP critiria since they aren't my priorities , but answering the poll title)
NY
LA
SF
Philly
Boston
Chicago
none of the rest by choice.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:07 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Overall list as below.

Live
Miami

Would live in, had it not been for weather being below 60-70 degrees for segments of the year and a few other hang ups (in this order)
New York
Washington (live here, so if (when) I leave then I'm not repeating)
Chicago (have already lived in, so no repeating but where I would put it either way)
Boston
San Francisco

Have either lived in (so no repeating) or some hang ups keeping me from considering (in this order)
Dallas
Atlanta
Houston
Los Angeles

^^ Up to this point, I enjoy all these cities. Some I could see myself in (first two tiers) and others I think I like the constant visiting option as well, too bad that weather eliminates nearly all of them aside from Miami.

Hasn't really crossed my mind for living due to several reasons
Philadelphia

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-19-2013 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,210,714 times
I don't care how big Chicago is or looks. I personally would live in:

Philly- I love to live in deep history
SF- Just love the vibe of the city
NYC- Love things to stay going on around me. Love the fact that millions of people live around me for some reason. Lol
Miami- Don't need to say. Just no jobs there
L.A.- The glitz and glam.

Won't live in:
Boston: To rasist of a town, people aren't accepting of a black male like me ( and I have really good looks)
Houston/Dallas- Suburbs are for Suburbs NOT cities...

D.C. is in the middle of both list. Love it, but it didn't make top 5 or me personally. These are just a personal preference. That's it.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,489 times
^ Toure, Lol at the Dallas and Houston comment.

I have debated about living there myself because of the low col and great job growth but it's very suburban there. I guess to some people this is appealing though.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Airport(not sure) - NYC, Chicago/LA, Philly/Miami, Dallas/Houston, SF/DC/Boston

Architecture - NYC, Boston, Chicago, Philly, DC/SF, Miami, LA, Dallas/Houston

Diversity - NYC, LA, DC/Boston, Houston/Chicago, SF/Philly, Dallas, Miami

Downtown - NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, SF, Chicago, LA, Miami, Dallas/Houston

Cost of living compared to salaries(not sure) - Houton/Dallas, LA, Miami, Chicago/DC/Philly, NYC, Boston/SF

Culture(?) - Boston, NYC, SF, Philly, LA, Houson/Dallas, Chicago, Miami

Economy - Future? Dallas/Houston, NYC/LA, Boston/SF, Chicago, Miami

Food - Pricing and Diversity - NYC, LA, Philly/SF, Chicago, Boston, DC/Miami

Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban - Boston, NYC/Philly, SF, DC, LA, Chicago/Miami, Houston/Dallas

Nightlife - NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago, SF, DC/Houston, Philly/Dallas, Boston

Parks - Boston, NYC, DC, Chicago, SF/Houston/Dallas, Philly, Miami

Safety - Boston, SF, NYC, DC, Dallas/Houston, Philly/Chicago/SF

Transit - NYC, DC, Chicago/Boston, SF/LA, Philly, Miami/Dallas/Houston

Weather - Boston, NYC, Chicago, Philly, SF, DC, Miami/LA/Dallas/Houston

Total/Personal Where-I-Would-Live (if money wasn't an issue):
1.Boston
2.SF
3.LA
4.Chicago
5.NYC
6.Philly
7.DC
8.Miami
9.Houston
10.Dallas

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-20-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Cost of living compared to salaries(not sure) - Houton/Dallas, LA, Miami, Chicago/DC/Philly, NYC, Boston/SF
I'm going to assume that left to right is from best to worst case scenario. In that case...first off, LA is more expensive than Miami, Chicago, and Philly...and DC is more expensive on average than even LA.

A more accurate list is like this:

Houston/Dallas, Miami, Philly, Chicago, LA, DC, Boston, San Francisco, NYC (maybe DC and Boston switched).

Quote:
Food - Pricing and Diversity - NYC, LA, Philly/SF, Chicago, Boston, DC/Miami
Philly is not on the same level as San Fran or Chicago. More accurate list IMO is like this:

NYC, Chicago/LA, San Francisco, DC/Boston, Philly/Miami

Quote:
Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban - Boston, NYC/Philly, SF, DC, LA, Chicago/Miami, Houston/Dallas
Not sure why Chicago is so low on your list. Personally my list would be like this:

NYC, Chicago/Boston/Philly, San Fran/DC, LA, Houston/Dallas

Quote:
Transit - NYC, DC, Chicago/Boston, SF/LA, Philly, Miami/Dallas/Houston
Chicago's system is much more extensive than Boston's and when you count buses, it's larger than DC's

NYC, Chicago, DC (very close to Chicago), Boston, Philly, LA, SF, Miami/Dallas/Houston

Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 AM

725 posts, read 1,210,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm going to assume that left to right is from best to worst case scenario. In that case...first off, LA is more expensive than Miami, Chicago, and Philly...and DC is more expensive on average than even LA.

Houston/Dallas, Miami, Philly, Chicago, LA, DC, Boston, San Francisco, NYC (maybe DC and Boston switched).

Philly is not on the same level as San Fran or Chicago. More accurate list IMO is like this:

Not sure why Chicago is so low on your list. Personally my list would be like this:

Chicago's system is much more extensive than Boston's and when you count buses, it's larger than DC's

NYC, Chicago, DC (very close to Chicago), Boston, Philly, LA, SF, Miami/Dallas/Houston
Just do your own list and stop correcting his... Also Phollys food scene is on par is with Chi and SF. Hahaha

Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Sounds about right. Haha, I don't spend much time on a day-to-day basis thinking of the COL/Salary info of America's cities.

Quote:

I think I see where you're coming from, but I think Philly, with its stake and cheese subs, has more fodd identity than Chicago and SF. Though I guess Chicago does have famous pizza, if rumor is correct, so in hindsight maybe it should've been a tie between the three.

Quote:

Never been to Chicago and haven't heard much about the neighborhoods there aside from North vs South. Personally all of NYC's neighborhoods look too similar. Same is sort of true for what I saw of Philadelphia, whereas in Boston, Eastie, Allston, West Roxbury, Beacon Hill, the West End, the South End, and Dorchester look and feel drastically different. Boston has the most eclectic collection of neighborhoods, which is why I put it first. In hindsight, DC should've been higher.

Quote:

Really? I don't have experience with Chicago's public transit, but just from looking at maps, they seem to cover the same amount of their respective cities (Chicago is geographiacally larger so of course its system would be larger in order to even compete with Boston's). Boston's is also very crowded and utilized. Maybe DC, Chicago, and Boston should be together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City