Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what city would you live in permanently
NYC 19 11.52%
LA 19 11.52%
Chicago 32 19.39%
DC 7 4.24%
SF 22 13.33%
Boston 9 5.45%
Philly 23 13.94%
Dallas 13 7.88%
Miami 8 4.85%
Houston 13 7.88%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM

504 posts, read 852,433 times

Advertisements

San Francisco. Proximity to friends/family, and I love the weather. Given the choice I wouldn't live anywhere with excessive heat or freezing/snow. So that narrows down the list considerably for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I think I see where you're coming from, but I think Philly, with its stake and cheese subs, has more fodd identity than Chicago and SF. Though I guess Chicago does have famous pizza, if rumor is correct, so in hindsight maybe it should've been a tie between the three.
I am thinking about it more than just what they're known for. I mean, I love Philly cheesesteak, for example (if done right) and pizza sometimes, and hot dog sometimes, etc but for me personally it's more about what I have access to. Can I go out and get good X cuisine? Can I get a really, really good fine dinner? If you're going to be living in a city, I'd bet there's good chances that you aren't going to be eating philly cheesesteak every night of the week really.

Not to play the weird ratings game here, but there's only a few cities in the US that have a Michelin guide. Right now it's only NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco. Los Angeles has one but it's suspended and same with Las Vegas. Nobody else in the US has ever had a Michelin guide and that includes Boston, DC, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, or Miami. Chicago also has the #7 ranked restaurant in the world (Alinea) and for awhile it was #1 ranked in North America. Very cutting edge place for the food industry.

Quote:
Never been to Chicago and haven't heard much about the neighborhoods there aside from North vs South. Personally all of NYC's neighborhoods look too similar. Same is sort of true for what I saw of Philadelphia, whereas in Boston, Eastie, Allston, West Roxbury, Beacon Hill, the West End, the South End, and Dorchester look and feel drastically different. Boston has the most eclectic collection of neighborhoods, which is why I put it first. In hindsight, DC should've been higher.
There's no such thing as north chicago versus south chicago. They are just geographical identities really. There are 77 "community areas" in Chicago (essentially neighborhoods). A few of the more well known ones would be Lincoln Park, Near North Side (i.e. Gold Coast - downtown and where many mansions are - including the original Playboy mansion), Hyde Park (where U of Chicago is), Loop (central business district), etc

Community areas in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boston, Philly, NYC, DC all have great neighborhoods. It's pretty much the same in Chicago. The city is extremely neighborhood oriented and that's the identity.

Quote:
Really? I don't have experience with Chicago's public transit, but just from looking at maps, they seem to cover the same amount of their respective cities (Chicago is geographiacally larger so of course its system would be larger in order to even compete with Boston's). Boston's is also very crowded and utilized. Maybe DC, Chicago, and Boston should be together.
So basically, if you do bus + train, Chicago has more ridership than both DC and Boston. For rail alone, DC has the most, followed by Chicago. For bus, Chicago has the most. Chicago's system is also physically larger than both.

Average Daily Ridership Counts:
Chicago: 730,000 for Train/Subway and 1 million for Bus. TOTAL = 1.73 million
DC: 901,000 for Train/Subway and 420,000 for Bus. TOTAL = 1.32 million
Boston: 530,000 for Train/Subway and 375,000 for Bus. TOTAL = 900,000

Personally I like all three and I like DC's actual cars the most.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
I don't care how big Chicago is or looks. I personally would live in:

Philly- I love to live in deep history
SF- Just love the vibe of the city
NYC- Love things to stay going on around me. Love the fact that millions of people live around me for some reason. Lol
Miami- Don't need to say. Just no jobs there
L.A.- The glitz and glam.

Won't live in:
Boston: To rasist of a town, people aren't accepting of a black male like me ( and I have really good looks)
Houston/Dallas- Suburbs are for Suburbs NOT cities...

D.C. is in the middle of both list. Love it, but it didn't make top 5 or me personally. These are just a personal preference. That's it.
Dude you must really hate chicago...

Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
People are free to choose where ever they want. Sort of a perk to living in democracy really.
i know that, i was just stating a fact silly

Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 PM

725 posts, read 1,211,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Dude you must really hate chicago...
No, I admire the city. Just don't wanna live there. Love to visit, but not live. It annoys me that people would want to live in Chicago because it has a nice big skyline, there's way more to a city. Paris? Rome?

Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 PM

432 posts, read 610,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Everybody that voted for philly live in philly.
So? Isn't that the point?

Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
No, I admire the city. Just don't wanna live there. Love to visit, but not live. It annoys me that people would want to live in Chicago because it has a nice big skyline, there's way more to a city. Paris? Rome?
I agree. Living somewhere for its skyline is ignorant, but I have never heard people truthfully wanting to live in Chicago just because of its skyline. So I am curious - what are your reasons for not wanting to live there? If you admire the city, then you would know a lot about the city - What is truthful out there that people stereotype it for, the actual good, the actual bad, etc.

Let's be honest here, and this goes for people who want to live here too. I'm going to guess that at least 95% of people who have ever visited Chicago have never actually been outside of the Loop, Near North, and Near West/South, Wrigleyville, and a tiny corridor of Bridgeport (for Cubs/Bears/Blackhawks/Bulls/Sox games). Whether they want to live here or not, many people fail to realize that most of the good stuff is actually outside of the "downtown" areas. This goes for many other large cities out there too.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-20-2013 at 10:31 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 PM

432 posts, read 610,168 times
1. NYC
2. Philly
3. Dallas/Atlanta/SF tied

99999999. Boston. It sucks. I hate Boston, it 's weather, it's sports fans, and racist residents. Boston is probably my most hated city after Cairo 2000 BC. I mean Boston is a uppity more boring version of Philly. Philly is Hip Hop (more interesting, up to date, hip, cultural, up and coming, booming, and out there.). Boston is Opera (Nice, uppity, boring, racist, and rich) I mean, I don't ever hear icons saying "I be out in Boston!"

Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Boston seems like a lovely city to me. Don't know what all the hate's about. If you like urban, walk-able, vibrant cities, how can you hate Boston?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Boston seems like a lovely city to me. Don't know what all the hate's about. If you like urban, walk-able, vibrant cities, how can you hate Boston?
I like Boston a lot. Every city has its problems, but Boston is a pretty safe, good, walkable city. The people there can seem rude if you aren't used to it, but it's no different than in some other US cities IMO and you just have to get used to it if you aren't. Their nightlife is so so, but in a few categories their food can be great, walkable, historic place, etc. I would personally live there based off my experiences in the past. Economy in areas is good too and if you are a research person, it's close to MIT, Harvard, Boston U..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City