Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 08:26 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times

Advertisements

Well i couldn't find the list that i saw in which Chicago passes Toronto in population in the future. But i did find other list in which toronto isnt even in the top 10 in which Chicago was in it, or neither of them were in it. These are 2013 rankings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_centre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Well i couldn't find the list that i saw in which Chicago passes Toronto in population in the future. But i did find other list in which toronto isnt even in the top 10 in which Chicago was in it, or neither of them were in it. These are 2013 rankings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_centre
That link is relevant to which is most urban how?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
LA was already of a fairly large size in the streetcar era, and though its boundaries back then were also large, the majority of the population was centered in the central region in and around downtown and over to the westside. At that period, there were also several smaller cities in the region, some of which are now within LA or surrounded by LA. Due to that, the older, denser areas of LA are much larger and more extensive than cities of the sunbelt. Added to that is the massive demand as people moved to LA made land far more valuable so incentivized development of greater density in the core and more in demand regions over a longer stretch of time. It's not the same as other sunbelt cities (which would also likely move towards infill as demand grows) due to those larger older areas as well as the much denser infill.
A lot of cities around the country experienced the streetcar era and had older areas near downtown. However, during the 50's and 60's LA was the most aggressive in building the country's largest freeway network of any city. You will eventually need places for cars to park which explains the large number of surface parking for stripmalls, office parks and driveways requiring set backs which are quite evident in LA compared to say Boston, Philly or NY.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
That link is relevant to which is most urban how?
Yeah, I really don't see what financial centers have to do with urbanity.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 AM

Yeah your right it has nothing to do with urbanity, neither is half of this thread... technically your post has nothing to do with the thread either. What thread stays on topic?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Yeah your right it has nothing to do with urbanity, neither is half of this thread...i was answering a question.
What question? People have been remarkably on topic for most of this thread.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What question? People have been remarkably on topic for most of this thread.
Oh my gosh, what is this 21 questions? I was answering a question okay? is their a problem because the question is close by. City data people can be so annoying.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
A lot of cities around the country experienced the streetcar era and had older areas near downtown. However, during the 50's and 60's LA was the most aggressive in building the country's largest freeway network of any city. You will eventually need places for cars to park which explains the large number of surface parking for stripmalls, office parks and driveways requiring set backs which are quite evident in LA compared to say Boston, Philly or NY.
Maybe I haven't said it in this thread yet, so I'll say it now. LA has a lot of sprawl. It's mostly sprawl. It's a MSA of 12 million and a CSA of 19 million--most of that is suburban development. So in absolute amounts of suburban development and in percentage terms, LA does have much more sprawl. In terms of the total area of LA that is actually urban, it's pretty comparable.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Oh my gosh, what is this 21 questions? I was answering a question okay? is their a problem because the question is close by. City data people can be so annoying.
Then go elsewhere or get better at reading? It's not really that hard.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:

Ralph Wiggum Fails English - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City