Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think some pretty sound statistical analysis was put into this report. The projections I've referenced are not low growth or high growth scenario's so the conclusion has been made that medium growth - or reference scenario is most likely and what I have been referring to.

Ontario Population Projections Update

I see no reason to attack the methodology.
Me neither. They provide a range. They state this is what they can extrapolate from current data and how they did so. Already with just the high and low end estimate range is high given nothing too unexpected happens within 25 years. They don't claim to be able to predict the unexpected, because they can't. So, no they didn't do anything wrong. Just don't have any great expectations of these projections. Comb through some archives of these sorts of things some time. Try playing around with R or get some modules for Python and see just how off these things get. It's fun and it can even get you hired for stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
LOL ok - I will use historical archives from the Government of Ontario from a few decades ago and see how things panned out, but only when i'm REALLY bored or get fired from my current place of employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Me neither. They provide a range. They state this is what they can extrapolate from current data and how they did so. Already with just the high and low end estimate range is high given nothing too unexpected happens within 25 years. They don't claim to be able to predict the unexpected, because they can't. So, no they didn't do anything wrong. Just don't have any great expectations of these projections. Comb through some archives of these sorts of things some time. Try playing around with R or get some modules for Python and see just how off these things get. It's fun and it can even get you hired for stuff.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Alright then, how about some pictures of urbanity? Everyone loves pictures. Vibrant streets. Neat landmarks. Odd people.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Alright then, how about some pictures of urbanity? Everyone loves pictures. Vibrant streets. Neat landmarks. Odd people.
Here are some of Toronto including all of the above:

St Lawrence and Kensington Markets

File:St. Lawrence Market, Toronto.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
ST. LAWRENCE & KENSINGTON MARKETS « Canadiana Backpackers Blog
kensington-market-street.jpg » Kensington Market Pictures, Photos, Images, Pics Gallery
Canadian Boomdiada: More Kensington Market

U Of T

http://citysightseeingtoronto.com/bl...itycollege.jpg
torontou.gif » University of Toronto Pictures, Photos, Images, Pics Gallery
The Annex Real Estate | U of T Trinity College
http://www.miratelinc.com/blog/wp-co...rge-campus.jpg

Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown | Toronto Neighbourhood Walks Project

Little Italy

Meat Sticks, The Fish Store and Gelato Fill Me Up at the Taste of Little Italy
Little Italy Toronto - Things to do in Little Italy Toronto

Yonge Street

[daily dose of imagery] busy yonge
Stoners gather at Yonge-Dundas Square for 4/20
File:AuraTorontoJAN2013.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City Hall - Newish and Old

Toronto City Life » Sour Grapes
[daily dose of imagery] old city hall

Art Gallery of Ontario

Ontario Art Gallery or Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO)

Royal Ontario Museum

[daily dose of imagery] ROM crystal opening

Ontario College of Art & Design

http://torontocraftalert.ca/2009/11/...t-november-26/

Casa Loma

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-brandon/6170998723/

Church St

http://www.torontocitylife.com/2011/...ravail-le-fun/

Last edited by fusion2; 06-12-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 12:32 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
Quote:
Maybe I haven't said it in this thread yet, so I'll say it now. LA has a lot of sprawl. It's mostly sprawl. It's a MSA of 12 million and a CSA of 19 million--most of that is suburban development. So in absolute amounts of suburban development and in percentage terms, LA does have much more sprawl. In terms of the total area of LA that is actually urban, it's pretty comparable.
I'm not saying LA is 100% suburban. I will give LA benefit of the doubt as there are some areas I find walkable.

like these
Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
LACMTA just released an updated "under construction" map for Metro Rail: http://lametthesource.files.wordpres...st_may13-1.jpg

It's a bit of a stretch to call the Purple Line and Regional Connector "under construction", but they are in the utility relocation phase.

It's starting look pretty filled out and for the first time maybe hitting more spots than missing spots, but there is clearly a pretty big need for more North / South lines, especially considering how multi-nodal the city is. I'm guessing the next big project will be the Sepulveda Pass / East San Fernando Valley Corridor, which I hope are built as one project from Sylmar to the Westside (connecting with UCLA and Expo / Sepulveda).

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times
Toronto more vibrant than Chicago? Wow!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:47 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Toronto more vibrant than Chicago? Wow!
Toronto does have an edge over Chicago in a sense that it is the largest city in it's own country.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LACMTA just released an updated "under construction" map for Metro Rail: http://lametthesource.files.wordpres...st_may13-1.jpg
That's a lot of train stations with their own parking; I'm amazed at how many of them are free. A lot of the LIRR/Metro North don't have that.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's a lot of train stations with their own parking; I'm amazed at how many of them are free. A lot of the LIRR/Metro North don't have that.
Yeah well... It's LA.

I think some of them say there is parking when it is at an adjacent complex - i.e. Hollywood / Highland must be referring to the mall complex's underground garage, and the Hollywood / Vine is the W Hotel garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City