Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Detroit gets a lot of hate, but I've seen many root for it too, hoping it makes a comeback. It actually has the bones of a pretty good city proper, somethin that few see in cities like Jacksonville, Orlando, and Phoenix.
Yeah, I think Detroit should go into the Gets more hate than praise category at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Agree with this. Just curious, where would people put Kansas City on that list? It's a city that nobody ever even thinks about long enough to put on most lists, but it seems like people that have never been there would rank it very low, while those that have would rank it higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I think you nailed the most liked, so Ill keep them in my rankings:

Most Liked:
-New York City
-Chicago
-Seattle
-Boston
-San Francisco
-San Diego

Very Well Liked.
-Minneapolis/St. Paul
-Portland
-Devner
-Austin
-Washington DC

Hated on, but praised as well.
-Atlanta
-Houston
-Miami
-Philadelphia
-Los Angeles

Gets more hate than praise.
-Dallas/Fort Worth
-San Jose
-Baltimore
-Charlotte
-Cleveland
-Las Vegas
-Tampa

Despised.
-Oklahoma City
-Jacksonville
-Phoenix
-Detroit

Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 PM

209 posts, read 462,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Agree with this. Just curious, where would people put Kansas City on that list? It's a city that nobody ever even thinks about long enough to put on most lists, but it seems like people that have never been there would rank it very low, while those that have would rank it higher.
I say between "Hated on, but praised as well." and "Gets more hate than praise."

Old 06-13-2013, 12:08 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
Quote:
I don't know why KC gets over looked so much. It really has some great attractions.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:31 AM

346 posts, read 456,295 times
Seems like Toronto and Vancouver fall in the very well liked or most liked. Montreal seems very well liked. Not sure where the remaining Canadian cities over 1 million (Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa) fall.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 AM

10,753 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
Seems like Toronto and Vancouver fall in the very well liked or most liked. Montreal seems very well liked. Not sure where the remaining Canadian cities over 1 million (Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa) fall.
Well much like in the US, Canada being a large country is certainly not short on divisive opinions from within. Montreal is very well esteemed with urbanites to the likes of which are found here on C-D as it has a level of cosmopolitan urbanity, character, and charm on a level to what is found in cities like Boston and San Francisco. Internally within Canada, Canadians bicker a lot about Montreal/Quebec and the Qubecois separatist movement and even rubs some Americans the wrong way who are not open minded to the different customs that are found up there.

Many Western Canadians and Qubecois alike don't care much for Toronto labeling it a work to live kind of city. Calgary (white collar) and Edmonton (blue collar) are oil towns more business orientated and gateways to the Canadian Rockies; somewhat conservative by Canadian standards so they get the stereotypical criticism that go's along with that. Ottawa seems like a low key capital city, albeit very charming though I haven't heard any strong opinions about it one way or another.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-13-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 AM

10,753 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I don't know why KC gets over looked so much. It really has some great attractions.
Because when compared with cities like Boston, SF, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, and New Orleans it falls in the shadows. Even St. Louis has a great iconic national landmark. Attractions in KC are just not great enough to compell somebody from either coast to buy a plane ticket and say "we're spending an urban weekend getaway in KC". I'm sure KC is a fine city, but those great attractions are more renowned on a regional level at best.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,155,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
I say between "Hated on, but praised as well." and "Gets more hate than praise."
LOL...sad to see so much hate.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Because when compared with cities like Boston, SF, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, and New Orleans it falls in the shadows. Even St. Louis has a great iconic national landmark. Attractions in KC are just not great enough to compell somebody from either coast to buy a plane ticket and say "we're spending an urban weekend getaway in KC". I'm sure KC is a fine city, but those great attractions are more renowned on a regional level at best.
I wasn't expecting anybody to say KC is some national vacation destination. I was just wondering where it would fall on that list in most people's eyes.

If you have people list the top 40 metros, KC is one the most likely cities that people would not even list. People tend to think of much smaller cities before KC even comes to mind. It's not that's it a bad place, it's just a city that very few people even think about or remember that it's there.

And yes while KC is a city almost nobody from outside of 250 miles will plan a special trip to, having been to every major city in the country, the city has many high quality attractions. I actually think KC (and StL) both punch way above their size in attractions and things to do even though neither are sexy desirable cities to outsiders.

I don't want to move back to KC, but when I lived in KC, I would visit any city over a million people if I had a chance. We would drive to places like Nashville and Milwaukee which I wouldn't think would have more reasons to visit, but I'm sure they get more attention than KC.

People should visit KC just because it's a major USA city and even though it's like the 28th largest, I would say it would be in the top 20 or even 15 to visit because it has enough unique attractions and culture to make it worth seeing.

Enough about KC. But I would add it to another category.

Ignored or mis-understood due to name/location

Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Ignored or mis-understood due to name/location
Pretty much all the cities in my despised list are. OKC, Detroit, and Phoenix for sure. I have not spent enough time in Jacksonville to render any kind of accurate verdict there.

As to where I would put Kansas City, probably the same list as DFW. Both could go into my third or fourth list, but probably the "gets more hate than praise" is most accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City