Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte or Cleveland?
Charlotte 135 52.53%
Cleveland 122 47.47%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:49 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times

Advertisements

Charlotte easily...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 AM

489 posts, read 910,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Hunting Valley near Cleveland is the 6th richest city in the country. Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights also have some incredible old mansions, similar to the pictures I saw of Myers Park on a quick google search.

List of highest-income places in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forgot to add earlier, that list isn't very accurate at all, according to these...

//www.city-data.com/city/Marvin...-Carolina.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Weddin...-Carolina.html

Guess someone needs to edit their wikipedia page...

And I'm not saying those are great suburbs. They're spreadout, with huge houses and ranches and narrow roads, with a Harris Teeter or new elementary school sprinkled in. I prefer Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson by a long shot. But your comment about Hunting Valley was just about income.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Nah. I'm in the business. No-one, except newly hired deans and anxious parents, takes the US News rankings seriously. Oberlin has national reach. Davidson, while a very good school, compared to Oberlin is a regional glorified prep school.
So what's a reputable list out there that can be used? You're obviously very biased so it would be helpful to use an objective source here. I'm not saying that Davidson is better than Oberlin, but I think it's quite possible that you're really shortchanging Davidson here.

Washington Monthly's 2012 liberal arts college rankings lists Oberlin at #12 and Davidson at #16, which makes them pretty comparable in terms of the criteria used in that ranking: Liberal Arts College Rankings 2012 | Washington Monthly

Davidson is also among 25 private colleges with the best graduation rates in the nation: 25 Private Colleges With the Best Graduation Rates - CBS News

At any rate, Case Western Reserve certainly makes the case for Cleveland in terms of comprehensive research universities. For private liberal arts colleges, the two appear to be a bit more equal.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:34 AM

437 posts, read 628,604 times
I've always thought Cleveland's skyline to be unique and aesthetically pleasing.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,653,945 times
Charlotte is one of the least appealing places I have ever been to. I love Cleveland, so much character.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Charlotte is one of the least appealing places I have ever been to. I love Cleveland, so much character.
I can probably guess that you didn't see much of the city outside of Uptown. Of course Cleveland has more historic character than Charlotte--no one would really argue that--but Charlotte has more than a lot a people are aware of because there's typically little reason for visitors to venture outside of Uptown where the true soul of the city is to be found.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Posters on this board have been saying for years that Cleveland is turning around and it's getting ready to make this big come back. Fast forward to 2014 and that city has firmly cemented itself as the next Detroit. Charlotte and Cleveland are nothing alike. The two cities are heading in totally different directions. Cleveland going further down, and Charlotte heading futher up. Same for the two states, Ohio versus North Carolina.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Posters on this board have been saying for years that Cleveland is turning around and it's getting ready to make this big come back. Fast forward to 2014 and that city has firmly cemented itself as the next Detroit. Charlotte and Cleveland are nothing alike. The two cities are heading in totally different directions. Cleveland going further down, and Charlotte heading futher up. Same for the two states, Ohio versus North Carolina.
Now I wouldn't go THAT far. From my perspective, which is limited I'll admit, Cleveland seems to be following more in the footsteps of Pittsburgh than Detroit. The old heavy industrial cities/states are having to transition to a post-industrial economy which isn't a challenge for states that never had much heavy industry to begin with. But it does give the industrial cities/states an advantage with respect to infrastructure and such.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:59 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,095 times
People who don't understand the intricacies of old established cities like Cleveland resort to lists and statistics to show their decline, when the signs of revival are clearly evident when you look at them closely. Naturally, it will take time for certain facts and figures to show marked improvement, but the initial indicators of revival are in place.

Last edited by JMT; 01-14-2014 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Pittsburgh is not part of this thread.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:30 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
One of the most ridiculous, non-thinking C-D posts I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City