Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much stock do you put into crime ranking/rates?
Plenty, it's a fair assessment 12 16.90%
Not much, I'd rather know about the crime level in specific locations (neighborhoods, zip codes, sides of town) within the city 59 83.10%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:24 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I agree. Chicago takes an unfair rap.
Extremely unfair. Chicago is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:45 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago's crime is sensationalized because of its status. We don't really hear about crime in Indianapolis, even though it has a higher crime rate than Chicago. Chicago's crime is highly concentrated (doesn't make it any better) in a select few neighborhoods on the south and west sides. Obviously we should be concentrated on decreasing the incidents of violent crime, but it's not like there are shell casings and dead bodies piled on every street corner in even the worst of neighborhoods.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Columbus doesn't even have a lot of Latino homicides, there were more white homicides last year

Columbus homicides, 2015 | The Columbus Dispatch
True. My main point was about 70% of homicides in the city were racial minorities (mainly black).

Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 PM

114 posts, read 125,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
True. My main point was about 70% of homicides in the city were racial minorities (mainly black).
Alot of hillbilly on hillbilly crime in Hilltop and Franklinton. Both are the worst areas in the city imo. Mentally ill, strung out, homeless, hookers and js are most visible here than anywhere else in the city.

So white is not always right.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:29 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago is my favorite big city in the US. It's super clean feeling, and has a very unique feel. It's more livable than NYC (my opinion).

I'd love to move there one day.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:34 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth. The bashers then start describing the ENTIRE city in a way that ONLY someone who lived in or very, very close to one of those ghettos would have to worry about.
First off, the word "ghetto" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

Second, if your position is such, then someone pulsing growth in pockets of their city can't say "the whole city" because they start describing the ENTIRE city in a way that ONLY someone who lived in or very, very close to one of those nice areas would have access to.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
First off, the word "ghetto" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

Second, if your position is such, then someone pulsing growth in pockets of their city can't say "the whole city" because they start describing the ENTIRE city in a way that ONLY someone who lived in or very, very close to one of those nice areas would have access to.
Did you make this post just to be trivial I'm pretty sure most people know the original ghettos were occupied by the Jews, but nowadays the word is understood to be synonymous with rundown, low income, and usually high crime areas. Attempting to debate what the word "ghetto" does or doesn't mean is irrelevant.

As for your second issue, I asserted that it's unfair and disingenuous for someone to only discuss the bad parts of a city as if it describes the entire city. Your counterargument is that it's also disingenuous for someone to discuss only the good areas as if it describes the entire city. What's your point? Both are true. It's unfair for anyone to paint a city with a broad brush, regardless if they cherry pick only the good or only the bad. This all goes back to my point, it depends on what specific area a person is in within the city rather than painting the entire place with a broad brush. So, I dont get what point or argument you're trying to make here, unless you're saying you're OK with labeling an entire city as one way.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-07-2016 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City