Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 PM

12 posts, read 42,404 times

Advertisements

soo i'm a 21 year old girl living in albany

i would really like to get the heck out of here to experience life and just live in a city where i know i'll have fun and just enjoy myself while studying for school and working a regular full time job

in the next 2 years i would like to acomplish a nursing degree

but anyway i would like to move to a city where i can do so and also live affordably i right now work a minum wage job so saving money has been very difficult i pay for my rent car insurance cell phone insurance food

i just want somewhere cheap and affordable and fun with lots to do during the summer as well as lots to do during the fall and winter

PLEASE HELP! i'm desperate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,230,534 times
New Orleans. It's affordable and has lots to do-plus, very walkable and decent public transit. Nice people and great food! The weather is much better than Chicago, IMO.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM

993 posts, read 1,771,067 times
Why only these two cities?

Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Why only these two cities?
cause i hear they're the cheapest

Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,912,488 times
To be quite honest unless you plan on making more than minimum wage none will be good for you. I say stay home until you're more established.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,989,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikenuts09 View Post
Mmm, Chicago is not one of the two cheapest cities in the US on average. However when you compare it to cities like NYC, Boston, DC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Honolulu, etc then yes it would be considered cheap. But if you compare it to hmmm, Houston, it's not CHEAP, but not that much more expensive either. There are other cities out there that are cheaper than Chicago for sure. Perhaps you may need a car in them whereas Chicago or NOLA you don't. Things to consider.

And it really depends on what you want. You mention a car and well, in Chicago you may not necessarily need it depending on where you are. New Orleans that's true in some areas too. I think you should list a range of rent you would want, what kind of city, etc and maybe people can make other city suggestions, or perhaps say that yes, one of your two original cities are the best.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Mmm, Chicago is not one of the two cheapest cities in the US on average. However when you compare it to cities like NYC, Boston, DC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Honolulu, etc then yes it would be considered cheap. But if you compare it to hmmm, Houston, it's not CHEAP, but not that much more expensive either. There are other cities out there that are cheaper than Chicago for sure. Perhaps you may need a car in them whereas Chicago or NOLA you don't. Things to consider.

And it really depends on what you want. You mention a car and well, in Chicago you may not necessarily need it depending on where you are. New Orleans that's true in some areas too. I think you should list a range of rent you would want, what kind of city, etc and maybe people can make other city suggestions, or perhaps say that yes, one of your two original cities are the best.

rent i would love to pay around
300-400 for a room in an apartment

Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM

2,567 posts, read 3,639,310 times
Quote:
Uhhh, no. Chicago, relative to all US cities, is going to be one of the more expensive.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Uhhh, no. Chicago, relative to all US cities, is going to be one of the more expensive.
It's in the middle actually on average (compared to sizable cities say over 400,000) but it's definitely not one of the cheapest.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
rent i would love to pay around
300-400 for a room in an apartment
Meaning you would get roommates? You could actually do that in a few normal areas of Chicago if you had a roommate or two (I'm talking about the areas of Pilsen, Bridgeport, etc and actually many others). I'm pretty sure in other cities it's possible, but don't expect to be finding a one bedroom in a lot of semi sizable cities for that price. With roommate(s), yes you can find places for that price even in Chicago in semi decent neighborhoods (but not a HOT neighborhood).

However, in my opinion, you should stay in Albany until you're more established. I am not going to tell you to not take risks, but although you think where you are sucks, you may be better off by establishing yourself there first before moving elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City