Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:10 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times

Advertisements

You should move to Cleveland. In Cleveland you can buy a house for the price of a VCR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
You can find a room in your price range in Uptown, Mid-City, Lower Garden District, and maybe the French Quarter, Marigny, or Bywater which are more bohemian neighborhoods and expensive. It will be cheaper than Chicago and I'm sure you would love it. In many areas you don't need a car, but it would be helpful if you needed to do some traveling around the metro.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 AM

12 posts, read 42,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You can find a room in your price range in Uptown, Mid-City, Lower Garden District, and maybe the French Quarter, Marigny, or Bywater which are more bohemian neighborhoods and expensive. It will be cheaper than Chicago and I'm sure you would love it. In many areas you don't need a car, but it would be helpful if you needed to do some traveling around the metro.
thanks annie_himself
i'm just trying to decide at what point i should make the move i work minimum wage now so saving money has been quite the hassle i have very little over 2,000 saved

i've been thinking about selling my car for 2,000 dollars so i can have 4,000 saved but people tell me not to do that as i would need a car in new orleans and what i was planning to do was when i moved i was going to drive down there

i'm stuck i'm honestly stuck because i have hear horror stories of people moving to new orleans and not being able to find employment and i'm scared because i have skills but not outstanding skills just your average 4 years in customer service and 1 year in restaurant/hospitality i'm really scared i was thinking about planning a mini vacay for a week to new orleans but i have no idea as where to stay i have been offered a package that includes hotel and round trip flight service for 600 dollars but thats only for 4 days i honestly dont know what to do and i am STUCK!

i would just like help and advice this will be my first time moving away by myself and without any family support what so ever everything will be on me just me and i'm nervous im scared of failure

Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikenuts09 View Post
rent i would love to pay around
300-400 for a room in an apartment
That's gonna be rough. I guess maybe with 2-3 other roommates in a quieter area of town. Chicago isn't CHEAP, it's just cheapER than other very large urban centers.

Living off minimum wage here is not going to be fun. I would go to a quieter/smaller city somewhere if you're going to have no money.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
thanks annie_himself
i'm just trying to decide at what point i should make the move i work minimum wage now so saving money has been quite the hassle i have very little over 2,000 saved

i've been thinking about selling my car for 2,000 dollars so i can have 4,000 saved but people tell me not to do that as i would need a car in new orleans and what i was planning to do was when i moved i was going to drive down there

i'm stuck i'm honestly stuck because i have hear horror stories of people moving to new orleans and not being able to find employment and i'm scared because i have skills but not outstanding skills just your average 4 years in customer service and 1 year in restaurant/hospitality i'm really scared i was thinking about planning a mini vacay for a week to new orleans but i have no idea as where to stay i have been offered a package that includes hotel and round trip flight service for 600 dollars but thats only for 4 days i honestly dont know what to do and i am STUCK!

i would just like help and advice this will be my first time moving away by myself and without any family support what so ever everything will be on me just me and i'm nervous im scared of failure
You can easily find a bartending or hospitality job, it's one of the largest industries in the metro with all of the tourists. Bartending will make more money in a good location than a minimum wage job.

You don't need a car as long as you live in the right location. Mid-City is served by the Canal St streetcar which is the fastest line in the city, not many tourists to clog it up like the St. Charles. That line serves all of Uptown including Carrolton. They are building a Costco on Carrolton as well, as well as a Rouses market which was just opened in the CBD, they have a small market in the Quarter as well. Mid-City market is under construction now where a grocer is being built. The bus system is fairly decent, best in Louisiana by far. Here's a link to the NORTA website: System Map

Four days should be enough to see what you need to to get a feel for the different neighborhoods. I moved to Houston by myself straight out of highschool and it was the best decision I've ever made despite the student loans, I never would've seen such a large metro area without that, I still have friends there and feel reminiscent of there often.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
New Orleans. It's affordable and has lots to do-plus, very walkable and decent public transit. Nice people and great food! The weather is much better than Chicago, IMO.
I couldn't disagree more - I love New Orleans and considered moving there over a decade ago, but the weather is just brutal. I imagine it would be far more of a shock for someone moving from upstate NY to that oppressive heat than to go to a city with the same weather.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Yeah, I can see being tired of the long summers, but many would be equally if not more, tired of the long, snowy, frigid and cloudy winters.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 AM

12 posts, read 42,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You can easily find a bartending or hospitality job, it's one of the largest industries in the metro with all of the tourists. Bartending will make more money in a good location than a minimum wage job.

You don't need a car as long as you live in the right location. Mid-City is served by the Canal St streetcar which is the fastest line in the city, not many tourists to clog it up like the St. Charles. That line serves all of Uptown including Carrolton. They are building a Costco on Carrolton as well, as well as a Rouses market which was just opened in the CBD, they have a small market in the Quarter as well. Mid-City market is under construction now where a grocer is being built. The bus system is fairly decent, best in Louisiana by far. Here's a link to the NORTA website: System Map

Four days should be enough to see what you need to to get a feel for the different neighborhoods. I moved to Houston by myself straight out of highschool and it was the best decision I've ever made despite the student loans, I never would've seen such a large metro area without that, I still have friends there and feel reminiscent of there often.

i would love to go for four days but the truth is i dont have the money they are asking me for six hundred dollars but then i'd have to dig into my new orleans savings and i have only 3,000 saved now that will bring me down to 2400 i am trying to save roughly 6 thousand dollars before i make the big leap but i'm unsure as to wether that will be enough i have car insurance to pay when i get down there i will have rent to pay my insurance will be cheap 100 dollars a month the rent is the only issue i can't find anything in my budget for a single room i'm looking for maybe 300-370 dollar range a month
i also have a cellphone bill to worry about it and thats 145 a month for a stupid iphone 5
on top of that food expenses so i dont even know if 6,000 would be enough i'm a vegan so my food would probably be a bit cheaper since i only stick to eating raw nuts such as cashews, almonds, pistachios but anyway i'm just scared

scared that i'll fail and have to come back home to live with people i do not want to live with in a town i absolutely despise i really dont like new york and its high rent high cost of living ways the weather is horrible i prefer warm climate year round.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
Maybe you should start off trying a city a little closer to Albany so you can drive to it to check out places to live, can drive back to see your family, etc.

I think Baltimore is underrated. There are some really cool interesting parts of the city and it is closer to New York. It will be a change of pace for you, and warmer weather, but it won't be quite the culture shock of Chicago or New Orleans. DC is nice but very expensive, so I don't think that would be a good fit for you.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
i would love to go for four days but the truth is i dont have the money they are asking me for six hundred dollars but then i'd have to dig into my new orleans savings and i have only 3,000 saved now that will bring me down to 2400 i am trying to save roughly 6 thousand dollars before i make the big leap but i'm unsure as to wether that will be enough i have car insurance to pay when i get down there i will have rent to pay my insurance will be cheap 100 dollars a month the rent is the only issue i can't find anything in my budget for a single room i'm looking for maybe 300-370 dollar range a month
i also have a cellphone bill to worry about it and thats 145 a month for a stupid iphone 5
on top of that food expenses so i dont even know if 6,000 would be enough i'm a vegan so my food would probably be a bit cheaper since i only stick to eating raw nuts such as cashews, almonds, pistachios but anyway i'm just scared

scared that i'll fail and have to come back home to live with people i do not want to live with in a town i absolutely despise i really dont like new york and its high rent high cost of living ways the weather is horrible i prefer warm climate year round.
Coming down with $6000 would be enough for you. I've seen nice rooms in your price range, although that is much too small for me.
I know $6000 could last me a while, like I said, bartending and waitressing jobs are flowing in the city with new places opening all the time.
I can understand though, it is a big move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City