Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:54 PM

364 posts, read 620,520 times

Advertisements

Name the top 10 metro areas you would relocate to excluding where you currently live. Explain why.

• ONLY U.S. cities please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,279,730 times
1. Houston - One of my favorites US cities
2. Dallas - I like Houston better but Dallas is the next best thing
3. Charlotte - Lived there for three years and loved it
4. Austin - Booming city right now great for young people
5. Washington DC - Great economy, great amenities, plus Baltimore is nearby so you get two for the price of one
6. Atlanta - I have always thought Atlanta was cool
7. Phoenix - I have family in Phoenix and think its very underrated on this site
8. Denver - The natural beauty, proximity to the rocky mountains, culture, individual liberty
9. Minneapolis - Low cost of living, great economy, and 'hip'
10. Chicago - No other city can you get so much at such a low cost of living

Last edited by bchris02; 07-05-2013 at 09:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 PM

494 posts, read 806,496 times
Hard to list 10 as i kinda like where i am but if change was in order here is my top 4.

1. Grand Rapids, MI. Great economy, job growth ( like here FOR NOW ), and i wouldn't mind a little more snow. Very cheap. Most underrated city of any.
2. Philadelphia. The turn around since leaving there is amazing and continues to show a ton of promise. This is my hometown as well ( many relatives still live there ) so yeah..
3. Chicago.. See bchris reason and i do enjoy the water and winter.
4. South Haven, Holland, or Grand Haven, MI.. This has more to do with living by the water again but as well these areas are very nice and no hurricanes. Still close enough to Chicago, Grand Rapids etc ( Bigger city ) as well.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:53 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,469,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
1. Houston - One of my favorites US cities
2. Dallas - I like Houston better but Dallas is the next best thing
3. Charlotte - Lived there for three years and loved it
4. Austin - Booming city right now great for young people
5. Washington DC - Great economy, great amenities, plus Baltimore is nearby so you get two for the price of one
6. Atlanta - I have always thought Atlanta was cool
7. Phoenix - I have family in Phoenix and think its very underrated on this site
8. Denver - The natural beauty, proximity to the rocky mountains, culture, individual liberty
9. Minneapolis - Low cost of living, great economy, and 'hip'
10. Chicago - No other city can you get so much at such a low cost of living
Disagree with Phoenix. It's not a great place to be at all. Not that you can't live a good life there but majority of people move to phoenix for lost cost of living and Sun. If you have a good job and don't necessarily need 300 days of sunshine then I don't think phoenix would be the right option.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:45 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,251,499 times
1. Seattle
2. Portland, Or.
3.San Francisco
4. Chicago
5.Pittsburgh
6.Boston
7. Austin
8. Madison, Wi.
9.Spokane, Wa.
10.Burlington,Vt.

My criteria is based on weather, outdoor activities and just a general feeling for the area. San Antonio would have made the list and Austin would have scored higher, but I've come to hate hot, sunny weather.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,279,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Disagree with Phoenix. It's not a great place to be at all. Not that you can't live a good life there but majority of people move to phoenix for lost cost of living and Sun. If you have a good job and don't necessarily need 300 days of sunshine then I don't think phoenix would be the right option.
I am pretty adaptable as you can see by my choices in cities. Notice I didn't choose Portland or Seattle. While I think those are probably the top cities for twentysomethings to be in right now, I myself wouldn't move there.

Phoenix is one of the few places I could one day transfer with my current job (though that won't be for years, unfortunately). There are very few places I would less like to live than where I currently do, and even Phoenix would be a huge upgrade.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:29 AM

10,763 posts, read 23,883,884 times
Denver: Got a bunch of friends that live there, plenty of sun and recreation nearby, beautiful area, easy and managable city just big enough not to be a ratrace, not too small either. Rentals still relatively affordable.

Durango, CO: If I could move to a mountain town and be a ski bum this is where I'd live, just outstanding recreational opportunities and a very cool, eclectic, and historic downtown.

Santa Fe, NM: I like NM a lot and I'm OK with living in Albuquerque and have a good job here but I'd much rather live in Santa Fe, much more charming and better environment overall

Flagstaff, AZ: I love Arizona, my favorite state to photograph but Phoenix and Tucson are too hot for too long. Flagstaff has charm and is a gateway to some of the county's best outdoor recreation and scenery

Maui: My favorite tropcal island, dream of having a beach house here and I love Hawaiian food.

Kona, HI: My second favorite island, wide range of topography, climate, and recreation. Awesome food and friendly people.

Seattle: Lived here for 5 years. I could do it agin, not big on the weather but wouldn't completely deter me. Seattle has a perfect balance of urban pulse and suburban elbow room and it's exceptionally beautiful.

Portland, Oregon: Could live here too for very similar reasons to Seattle, and I love the Oregon Coast.

Portland, Maine: Close to where I grew up, great seafood, people are decent, active and charming downtown, close to good recreation and scenery.

Burlington, VT: I love Lake Chmaplain, great downtown and college town vibe, seems bigge rthan it really is, laid back, close to Boston and Montreal. I could hang here for a while.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-06-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,230,534 times
Honolulu-best weather, beaches, nice people and great scenery, and most importantly, my home
New Orleans- great culture, food, weather, nice people. Beautiful place. Ah I just love it!
Miami- mainly weather, beaches and beauty is why I would move there.
LA- I only put it low on the list because of sprawl. Otherwise, I would put it up there with New Orleans. I love LA.

DC-lived there before and liked it for the most part
NYC-it's a good city. Nuff said.

Can't think of any more at the moment

Old 07-06-2013, 07:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,145,180 times
Mine fluctuate from time-to-time. They are mostly western cities, though. In no particular order, I could see myself most happy in:

Seattle- lifestyle and attitude, plus scenic environment
Los Angeles- climate and California vibe
Denver- outdoors and great sports city
Chicago- great urban environment, food, lifestyle
Austin- Texas personality
Boston- urban sophistication, coastal lifestyle
New York City- greatest urban amenities in the country
Atlanta- a dark horse for me, but basically the lifestyle of Houston with somewhat better scenery and climate
Honolulu- paradise, inspirational in its isolation
St. Louis-great baseball town, culture, history

Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,728,086 times
In no order

Seattle
Atlanta
Portland
Austin
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
Charlotte
Kansas City
Salt Lake City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City