Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 PM

591 posts, read 820,339 times

Advertisements

IMO, Florida offers the best quality of life of any state in the U.S.

However, you must remember that these rankings, like my opinion, are purely subjective in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I read the same list and it sounded very accurate to me. Not many people relocate to Vermont because of the harsh winters.

Hawaii is an expensive relo. So the people there, in HI and VT, are generally from there and have roots there.

Notably absent from the list, if I remember correctly, were states like California and New York. Too many people think that they will find happiness in those states, or endure high taxes and a high cost of living because they are from there, and think it's the center of the universe.

The Sunbelt didn't show up at all. No South or North Carolina, Florida, or Georgia,
No Texas. No shock here.

States that made a showing did not surprise. Places that value education, with deep values of community combined with an open minded attitude towards people who are different.

Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts come to mind. Some great educational institutions and an adherence to the values of the individual and the rights of the worker.
Bless your heart.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
I can see North Dakota taking a nose dive in some of the criteria used for judging. Pollution, crime and even access to healthcare are all turning for the worse. Affordable living is available on the eastern side but nowhere close to the Bakken. Of course ND isn't good to women with their new abortion laws either.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
IMO, a state's QOL is inversely proportional to the number of giant serpents that are slithering unchecked through it's backyards and devouring gas-grills, dogs and children.

However, you must remember that these rankings, like my opinion, are purely subjective in nature.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM

390 posts, read 940,738 times
I'm sure Vermont would be a nice place to live if you were a lumberjack and were guaranteed of employment opportunities. But in all seriousness, I never put much credence into these lists. Everything is subjective.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Bless your heart.
Thank you! I can translate "Southern" though.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I agree with Hawaii being on the list, perfect weather and beaches, beautiful scenery, nice people, lots to do and plenty of culture. I read somewhere that Hawaii is the most diverse state. But I can understand people not wanting to live there because it costs so much, is always warm, is far away, etc. But everyone there is so relazed. They don't care about living in a small house because they are outside for most of the year, and most people in Hawaii are very close to their family and soend lots of time with them-it is a cultural thing.

Vermont, I can see why it is on the list too. It may have harsh weather, but is beautiful and great for those who love winter activities and 4 seasons. It is a bit remote, but being somewhere quiet and close to nature has its benefits too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City