Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:56 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I think Chicago and LA, maybe because of their size, are just more impactful in a world view, but really not by very much, just a sliver.
Impactful as in what? So a city having more neighborhoods of endless sprawl/ sea of residential neighborhoods with strip malls puts a city over the top in world class rankings? No way Jose

Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
No I wasn't. I was talking about Iconic structures/landmarks.

The Eiffel Tower is not a Tourist trap, neither is the Statue of Liberty, neither is Big Ben, neither is Victoria Peak, neither is the Golden Gate Bridge, neither is the Hollywood sign, neither is the White House, neither is Mt. Fuji.

These iconic landmarks are known throughout the world and looking at a photo of these places identifies each city clearly. Chicago doesn't have anything that's "Chicago". Sorry this might offend you but this is every bit as important as whether some university is located inside the city proper.

Every world class city has their landmark that's exclusive to it's city and it's identity is undeniable.
Landmark does not make a city world class.....

What is Shanghai's landmark? or Hong Kong's? I guess they are not world class either.

517 posts, read 678,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It's easy to see this point of view as you could drop any geographically ignorant person in downtown Chicago and convince them they were in New York.
I think you would have to be pretty ignorant to confuse the cities. Chicago looks nothing like New York, and vice versa.

Boston Financial District, or Philly Center City, would sorta, kinda, for a few blocks, maybe, if you were squinting, I guess, resemble parts of NYC, but Chicago is just different. Wider streets, bigger blocks, different streetscape, etc.

Quote:
It can't but neither can LA or SF. Maybe with the exception of Singapore. Neither can other world class cities like Barcelona, Sydney, Toronto, Rio, Buenos Aires, Milan, etc. IMO there are tiers of world class cities. Cities like London, NYC, Tokyo and Paris make up the first group. The next group where would be cities like Chicago, Barcelona, Sydney, Milan, Toronto, etc.

I would add Hong Kong in the mix of 1st tier world class cities. I have been there and it's every bit on the level of NYC.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I would add Hong Kong in the mix of 1st tier world class cities. I have been there and it's every bit on the level of NYC.
I could see that and/or Shanghai.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
NYC
Los ngeles
SF
CHI
DC

those seem like the big 5 to me. Why not?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Landmark does not make a city world class.....

What is Shanghai's landmark? or Hong Kong's? I guess they are not world class either.
Victoria Peak with it's over cable trams overlooking Victoria harbor. You don't have to be a skyscraper keek to identify Hong Kong. It's the most vertical city in the world and has twice the amount of skyscrapers than Chicago. Looking at a photo of the city in general identifies that. Please don't compare Chicago to Hong Kong as a reason for comparison. They are not close.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
No I wasn't. I was talking about Iconic structures/landmarks.

The Eiffel Tower is not a Tourist trap, neither is the Statue of Liberty, neither is Big Ben, neither is Victoria Peak, neither is the Golden Gate Bridge, neither is the Hollywood sign, neither is the White House, neither is Mt. Fuji.

These iconic landmarks are known throughout the world and looking at a photo of these places identifies each city clearly. Chicago doesn't have anything that's "Chicago". Sorry this might offend you but this is every bit as important as whether some university is located inside the city proper.

Every world class city has their landmark that's exclusive to it's city and it's identity is undeniable.
If you're looking for a specific landmark, it's the Sears Tower. If you're looking for just something really cool and unique about the city, it's Lake Michigan. I can't think of any other city in the world with its scope that's built on a lake shore. What is most uniquely "Chicago" though is its skyline. Yes, other cities have cool skylines, but Chicago is the birthplace of this type of construction and all other vertical cities are following in the footsteps that it laid down. Not only did they do it first, many think they did it better. They are the only city in the US that is often cited as having a better skyline than NYC by folks who care about these sorts of things.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM

Also, people like Barack Obama and Michael Jordan, something associated with Chicago, really made an impact around people across the globe. So no Chicago, doesn't have THAT landmark, but it sure has put some pretty globally famous people out there that link back to the city. I mean when was the last time a city like Barcelona, Milan, or Sydney created such famous global people that linked back to their cities?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM

364 posts, read 619,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
How is the Presidio not world-class? It's one of the most amazing and unique parks in the nation. If anything I find it more impressive than GGP.
I think people who believe presidio park is world class truly does not understand the meaning of the term

You think prisidio can go toe to toe with Central Park or Hyde park? They would get demolished!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City