Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Skyscraper do you consider the tallest?
One World Trade Center 34 40.96%
Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower) 49 59.04%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times

Advertisements

I much prefer Sears Tower over 1WTC. Its just more interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 03:54 PM

415 posts, read 764,244 times
funny im at work now,And im 2 blocks west of the sears tower, some nights I go for a roof top stroll here, pretty wild when I look up at it, soo massive..

Old 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Btw, the roof height of the new World Trade Center isn't random. It's exactly the same as the old One World Trade Center.
Yes! A lot of people also don't know this fact but I think it's remarkable. The reason for the spire height was explained excellently in JerseyGirl's post. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
One last thing, the height of 1 WTC wasn't trying to beat anything else. It is obviously symbolic for our country's founding year, 1776. 1 WTC was called the Freedom Tower (I still call it that), referring to its symbolic height, which is an answer to what happened to the original 2 towers on 9/11, but they changed the name as they feared having the word 'Freedom' in the building's name would spark more attacks. So NYC wasn't trying to one up Chicago or anyone else, this building has genuine meaning in its 1776 feet - spire or not. I also know that a lot of people dislike the big concrete base at the bottom of this building, but that's supposed to protect it from collapsing from the force of bombs or even plane crashes. The things we have to go through now when building skyscrapers, especially ones as meaningful and symbolic as this one… *sigh*

Old 07-25-2013, 04:00 PM

541 posts, read 912,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Your sensitivity is quite hilarious! Another NY boosting? Go cry in the Hudson and return when you have an original insult. As opposed to just skipping my post you failed to FULLY READ and COMPREHEND my original post. Which others seems to do quite well. I'll slow it down again for you. . . .

Unless Chicago has something planned... was put first because 432 Park will surpass both the Willis and 1WTC in ROOF HEIGHT (within this decade). I was unaware if Chicago was constructing something that would be bigger before construction ends with 432 and you provided me with my answer. No. Lastly I put "Either way you look at this situation" because within a couple of years the building will be done and 432 Park will be the tallest as far as roof height and 1WTC will be the tallest overall. So either way NY will still have the tallest. I already gave my answer for this thread too (the present) so on a forum I don't see the problem. . . .

I already moved on from this situation you were the one talking about proposals and 20 Year projects. Next time you should analyze a post before criticizing it and failing miserably.

Cry in the Hudson? I got nothin there.

Others just dont care.

"Unless Chicago has something planned" -- That would imply you actually thought Chicago would plan something, fund it/approve it, and then finish it, all in time before a building in NYC thats already been under construction is done. Thats ludicrous and downright hilarious. Talk about failing miserably.

You probably should have wrote "unless Chicago is already building something", not "planned" instead, no? Just a thought.

Some people? Oh you know, just the CTBUH, thats all.

Theyre disputing the official height of the building by the way, because the original spire encasing was scrapped to save $20 million, leaving the antennae itself, as broadcast equipment will hang from it.

Get your reading glasses.

One World Trade Center’s Skinny Spire Redesign Might Not Measure Up - News - Architectural Record

Last edited by IEnjoyBeer; 07-25-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM

541 posts, read 912,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
One last thing, the height of 1 WTC wasn't trying to beat anything else. It is obviously symbolic for our country's founding year, 1776. 1 WTC was called the Freedom Tower (I still call it that), referring to its symbolic height, which is an answer to what happened to the original 2 towers on 9/11, but they changed the name as they feared having the word 'Freedom' in the building's name would spark more attacks. So NYC wasn't trying to one up Chicago or anyone else, this building has genuine meaning in its 1776 feet - spire or not. I also know that a lot of people dislike the big concrete base at the bottom of this building, but that's supposed to protect it from collapsing from the force of bombs or even plane crashes. The things we have to go through now when building skyscrapers, especially ones as meaningful and symbolic as this one… *sigh*

Ive watched and followed the entire proposal and construction process very carefully as I lived in Jersey and had great views prior to 9/11 and post-void.

To me, it is rightfully named One World Trade Center. "Freedom Tower" is tacky, and given the current state of the US (Patriot Act, NSA, you know, all that good stuff), it means nothing.

Freedom? You mean the freedoms we used to have?

Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
432 Park Ave is set to be smaller than the Willis Tower by 52 feet but still a very impressive building if all goes well.

Work on the foundation for 432 Park Ave just recently began and when constructing skyscrapers nothing is ever final until its final, the majority of the time any planned building has a high probability of being scaled back, in any city.

Btw 225 W. 57th street has simply been proposed, so it may not even come under construction.

Besides this poll is not asking about proposed or buildings under construction, its directed to the present time.
You are a few months behind. 432 Park is already 300 ft up and rising very quickly. Ain't nothing gonna stop it now. It will not be taller than Sears, but it's crazy to think that its gonna be taller to the roof than 1WTC!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM

229 posts, read 468,703 times
Way I see it is that the world trade center is the European BMW and the Sears Tower is a very american Mustang.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:37 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
Way I see it is that the world trade center is the European BMW and the Sears Tower is a very american Mustang.
Says the person from Chicago

Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM

229 posts, read 468,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Says the person from Chicago
Sorry If my post offended you but after all, everything is a personal opinion being from Chicago or not.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,341 times
Also in what world is a Mustang better than a BMW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City