Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Skyscraper do you consider the tallest?
One World Trade Center 34 40.96%
Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower) 49 59.04%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times

Advertisements

^Great shot, but you didnt need to circle it. Its the dominant building in Manhattan right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^Great shot, but you didnt need to circle it. Its the dominant building in Manhattan right now...
Thanks, I circled it as an illustration I posted earlier on another thread. This was taken in October of last year. I'm sure it's more complete now.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
The Aon center in Chicago is the closest sister replica to original WTC IMO, though not exact, it's closest in height/form... also 4th or 5th tallest building in North America

Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The Aon center in Chicago is the closest sister replica to original WTC IMO, though not exact, it's closest in height/form... also 4th or 5th tallest building in North America
That building has always to me been Chicago's version of WTC despite the differences in the facade and floor plate width. I heard at one time it had an public observation near the top when it was the Standard Oil Building. I also often wondered what Chicago's skyline would have looked like today had they built the 2,300 ft Chicago World Trade Center that was proposed back in 1982. That thing made Sears look skinny. It was huge. Probably the 2nd tallest proposal after the Mile High Illinois.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Here's a video I found regarding the Post Office tower proposal. Chicago's next tallest? We'll see

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:

While there are similarities in height and form one thing the old WTCs had was just pure girth - these buildings were just huge coupled together. the new taller Freedom tower does not have anywhere near the same girth nor does the Aon center. For anyone who never saw the twins in real life it is hard to get a true feel for the overall imposing precense they had (from a distance and up close), pictures just dont do it justice

WTC from Ellis Island | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Aon is my favorite skyscraper in the city. I love its simplicity and clean lines, much like the original WTC towers. I'm not a huge fan of the new WTC design. I haven't seen it since it was topped off, but when it was about 75% complete, it just didn't feel like it had the presence of the original towers.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 AM

229 posts, read 468,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
That building has always to me been Chicago's version of WTC despite the differences in the facade and floor plate width. I heard at one time it had an public observation near the top when it was the Standard Oil Building. I also often wondered what Chicago's skyline would have looked like today had they built the 2,300 ft Chicago World Trade Center that was proposed back in 1982. That thing made Sears look skinny. It was huge. Probably the 2nd tallest proposal after the Mile High Illinois.
In the past it was surfaced with marble but the engineers realized it would be really hard to maintain so they stripped it and put concrete in its place.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM

541 posts, read 912,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Same here. Only difference is I still live in NJ.

That is your opinion and of course you're entitled to it, but it doesn't make the meaning any less real - 1 WTC is symbolic, no matter how tacky or unnecessary some think it is - and there are people who strongly dislike everything about this building. Me? I think it's very beautiful, and its height in comparison to the Sears Tower means nothing to me because I know the architect had symbolism in mind when designing it, not beating Chicago for the country's tallest building.

That being said, I have a had time understanding why some people from Chicago and beyond take this whole building thing so seriously - who cares that 1 World Trade is technically taller, but the spire makes it controversial? As I said, this isn't and has never been a contest. People can think whatever they want about which one is taller, counting spires or not, but this has never been about one-upping one another. 1 WTC's height is clearly symbolic at 1776 feet considering what happened at that site.

The 1,776 is up for debate though. Nothing will be official until 2014 because its technically an antenna.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
The 1,776 is up for debate though. Nothing will be official until 2014 because its technically an antenna.

Official or not the symbolism will remain

I dont always agree with Jerseygirl but on her points and post I am in complete agreement

In the years following 911 there was always a void in lower Manhattan, when the new freedom tower began to rise it personally made me happy to see the rising of the new symbolic structure, literally the hairs on my neck stuck out with my fist glance which was from the NJ Turnpike as it rose out from lower Manhattan. When it became visually more impressive than the tallest in JC tower even more of a great feeling. This tower is more than tall IMHO. And seeing it rising from the WTC memorial was quite impressive. I lost friends that day and had my personal experiences including being up in the air and driving back from Boston that afternoon to Philly - Seeing the huge bellowing smoke clouds from all the way out on 287, lets just say I hope i something I will never see again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City