Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times

Advertisements

^^^
As for So. FL vs DC. I can imagine So. FL having more Jewish. But DC(AREA) has a presence of all those you've said were big in So. Florida, plus a big presence of all those Indians, Persians, Arabs, Armenians, Ethiopians, Somalians, Portugese, etc... that you said were not a strong presence there.

In my DC office off the top of my head, there's a Polish guy, an Indian guy, a German guy, a Jamaican lady, a black guy from NORTHERN Canada near Alaska (we say "we didn't know y'all existed"), a few varieties of Hispanics, a few asians, black people, white people. Oh, a little Filipino girl. A girl mixed black & Chinese. A Castilian (if that's how you spell it) girl who gets annoyed when people say she's Spanish. Hmmm. I think that's about it in my office. But that's just my little office there. Only about 30-40 people working there.
Oh, and then there's me, who is also multi-racial.

Take a ride up Embassy row, then ride through the neighborhoods around Wisconsin Ave. and you'll see a good presence of just about any race you can name...

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find an Eskimo girl dating an Aborigine guy in DC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
L.A. and South Florida both have Jewish populations of about 600,000. It's just that L.A. is far bigger so they make up a smaller percentage there than in South Florida.
OH... Ok. I see. Sweet....

Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 PM

People have a tendency to ASSUME that all the foreigners that they see around DC "must be" tourists, when that is largely not the case. Sure, if you're walking around the museums, there are a lot of tourists. BUT, when you venture out into the neighborhoods, AND into the outlying cities, you still see a HUGE presence of foreigners of ALL backgrounds... Races, ethnicities, nationalities, languages, sexual orientations, etc...

Take a trip in DC and walk around these areas:
U Street NW, 18th Street NW/Adams Morgan, M Street SE, M Street SW, M Street NW/Georgetown, 8th Street SE, New Hampshire NE, H Street NE, K Street NW, Georgia Ave, Connecticut Ave, Massachussetts Ave AKA Embassy Row, Columbia Ave, 14th Street NW, North Capitol Ave., Florida Ave NE/Trinidad, etc...
VA: Alexandria, Crystal City, Rosslyn, Ballstown, Annandale, Tysons Corner, Bailey's Crossroads, Clarendon, Springfield, Fairfax, Manassas, Reston, etc...
MD: Silver Spring, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Adelphi, Hyattsville, Columbia, Rockville, Germantown, etc...

In DC, I had a house in Waldorf, MD on a culdesac. In my little culdesac, I had Korean, Iranian, Chilean, Black, White and Panamanian neighbors... Just in the culdesac.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times
Washington DC's diversity is underrated. #4 in the US in my opinion after the "hyper-diverse" metros of New York, L.A. and San Francisco.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 PM

Northern Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northern Virginia is home to people from diverse backgrounds, with significant numbers of Arab Americans, Afghan Americans, Ethiopian Americans, Korean Americans, Indian Americans, Iranian Americans, American Jews, Thai Americans, Pakistani Americans, and Vietnamese Americans, along with other Americans of Asian descent especially a growing Chinese American and Filipino American population concentrated in the eastern part of Fairfax County.[citation needed] Annandale, Chantilly, and Fairfax City have large Korean American communities. Falls Church has a large Vietnamese American community.[citation needed] Northern Virginia is also home to a small Tibetan American community as well.[citation needed]
There is a sizable Hispanic American population, primarily consisting of Salvadoran Americans, Peruvian Americans, Puerto Rican Americans, Cuban Americans, Bolivian Americans, Mexican Americans, and Colombian Americans.[citation needed] Arlington is the center of the largest Bolivian American community in North America (mostly immigrants from Cochabamba).[citation needed] Many of these immigrants work in transportation-related fields, small businesses, hospitality/restaurants, vending, gardening, construction, and cleaning.
Of those born in the U.S. and living in Northern Virginia's four largest counties, their place of birth by Census region is 60.5% from the South, 21.0% from the Northeast, 11.5% from the Midwest, and 7.0% from the West. 33.7% were born in Virginia, which is categorized as part of the Southern United States along with neighboring Maryland and Washington, D.C. by the Census Bureau.

Check out this link...
The Most Diverse Cities In The US - Business Insider

Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Washington DC's diversity is underrated. #4 in the US in my opinion after the "hyper-diverse" metros of New York, L.A. and San Francisco.
I can agree with that

Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 PM

D.C. area sees third-highest increase in foreign-born residents | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 08-09-2013, 02:02 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
High percentage of foreign born residents doesn't necessarily equal a diverse population.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM

484 posts, read 871,188 times
Quote:
L.A. and South Florida both have Jewish populations of about 600,000. It's just that L.A. is far bigger so they make up a smaller percentage there than in South Florida.
Yup, because of SoFlo's smaller population, the % is higher than LA's. But I'm not sure why you keep repeating that LA and SoFlo have about the same raw numbers, or about 600,000. They're not that close. From the latest data I can find using two estimates...

LA = 621,000; SoFlo = 514,000
or
LA = 662,450; SoFlo = 535,000

Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
High percentage of foreign born residents doesn't necessarily equal a diverse population.
No but no group really dominates Washington's foreign born population, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City