Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2022, 02:07 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I went back through the mists of time to post 1 and found out that the OP had asked about cities that had "similar proportions of Blacks" to NYC/Detroit/Chicago/LA/Miami but "don't have Black representation."

I find that phrasing more confusing than the conversation that followed, for many of these cities do have "black representation" both culturally and politically; my hometown of Kansas City, which is one of the historic epicenters of the evolution of jazz in America, one of the cities in the barbecue Pantheon because of the Blacks who opened barbecue stands there about a century ago, elected its third Black mayor (who directly succeeded the second) two years ago, and whose oldest part is represented in Congress by that first Black mayor, is a good example.

Guess it's not worth parsing, though, because the discussion seems to have gone in the direction of "has a notable Black presence but is not acknowledged as having one by those outside it." In that case, I'd say Boston is the poster child for this phenomenon.
That is tough, as most cities with a "decent" percentage usually have representation. It may be a matter of underrepresentation with some cities in terms of percentage in relation to say a city council, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 10:08 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,597,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Savannah, Tallahassee, Greensboro, Durham, Charlotte
I was surprised how small Pittsburgh's black population is compared to other Rust Belt cities.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I was surprised how small Pittsburgh's black population is compared to other Rust Belt cities.
What is interesting is that there are multiple communities just outside of the city with higher percentages. Wilkinsburg, Aliquippa, Duquesne, McKeesport, Homestead, the Braddocks, Rankin, Penn Hills and a few others.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:57 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Savannah, Tallahassee, Greensboro, Durham, Charlotte
I think that both Durham and Charlotte are recognized as having significant black population. Given its proximity to Durham, I don't think that it's recognized how large Raleigh's black population is (28%+).

Old 01-29-2022, 09:01 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
No southern city should even be in this list because we assume a southern city has black population. Certainly not any cities that were pivotal in the civil right movement lol. Cmon y’all. Durham and Charlotte!!

Naw this is pretty much far northern/western cities only: Milwaukee Boston Pittsburgh Minneapolis (until recently) Las Vegas Denver Sacramento Hartford New Haven that type of thing. Not no damn Savannah. What??? Home of James Brown and Savannah State Univeristy? Naww…no southern cities should be on here bat maybe Louisville.l or some random place in WV.

Maybe that’s white people cuz idk ANY black people that don’t know it’s black people in Kansas City, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Savannah, Raleigh etc etc:

Old 01-29-2022, 09:19 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is interesting is that there are multiple communities just outside of the city with higher percentages. Wilkinsburg, Aliquippa, Duquesne, McKeesport, Homestead, the Braddocks, Rankin, Penn Hills and a few others.
But what's equally interesting is that, at the metro level, Greater Pittsburgh really is as white as people think it is.

Per MSA figures (2019, 1-year ACS estimates) on Census Reporter, the Pittsburgh MSA is 85% white and 8% Black.

Now, to put this in some perspective, the Kansas City MSA (total population is now about 200k less than that of Greater Pittsburgh; the gap used to be much larger) is 72% white and 12% Black.

The difference is probably found in the two central cities, since Blacks account for about 25% of KCMo's population and 22% of KCK's. Ergo, Blacks are overrepresented relative to their share of the national population in the KC MSA's urban core but not in Pittsburgh's, and I suspect that the total population of those outlying communities in Allegheny County is not enough to make up the difference there.

(BTW, Hispanics are way overrepresented in KCK: they make up 31% of its population. KCMo still has a White majority, but KCK is now "majority minority". KCK's population is about 30 percent of KCMo's.)

Old 01-29-2022, 09:26 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No southern city should even be in this list because we assume a southern city has black population. Certainly not any cities that were pivotal in the civil right movement lol. Cmon y’all. Durham and Charlotte!!

Naw this is pretty much far northern/western cities only: Milwaukee Boston Pittsburgh Minneapolis (until recently) Las Vegas Denver Sacramento Hartford New Haven that type of thing. Not no damn Savannah. What??? Home of James Brown and Savannah State Univeristy? Naww…no southern cities should be on here bat maybe Louisville.l or some random place in WV.

Maybe that’s white people cuz idk ANY black people that don’t know it’s black people in Kansas City, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Savannah, Raleigh etc etc:
My now-deceased artist uncle, the first Black graduate of the Kansas City Art Institute, taught art at (then) Savannah State College from right after he got his MFA in 1952 until Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville hired him away in 1969, four years after the campus opened.

I also rode out my first hurricane when I visited Uncle Phil and Aunt Dorothy when they lived in Thunderbolt, a mostly-Black Savannah suburb, in 1963.

Damn straight I know Savannah has a Black presence, and a sizable one.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:33 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times
I will admit I didn’t know Kansas City had a large black population lol. I knew about Oklahoma and Omaha though lol since I’ve met black people from there living on the East Coast.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:43 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I will admit I didn’t know Kansas City had a large black population lol. I knew about Oklahoma and Omaha though lol since I’ve met black people from there living on the East Coast.
Malcolm and Eddie

And I just freely associate jazz and BBQ with black people lol. But no I’ve heard about and met black people from Kansas City on more than one occasion throughout my life. Actually toured a KCMO friend around downtown Boston once when I was like 18

Old 01-29-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
But what's equally interesting is that, at the metro level, Greater Pittsburgh really is as white as people think it is.

Per MSA figures (2019, 1-year ACS estimates) on Census Reporter, the Pittsburgh MSA is 85% white and 8% Black.

Now, to put this in some perspective, the Kansas City MSA (total population is now about 200k less than that of Greater Pittsburgh; the gap used to be much larger) is 72% white and 12% Black.

The difference is probably found in the two central cities, since Blacks account for about 25% of KCMo's population and 22% of KCK's. Ergo, Blacks are overrepresented relative to their share of the national population in the KC MSA's urban core but not in Pittsburgh's, and I suspect that the total population of those outlying communities in Allegheny County is not enough to make up the difference there.

(BTW, Hispanics are way overrepresented in KCK: they make up 31% of its population. KCMo still has a White majority, but KCK is now "majority minority". KCK's population is about 30 percent of KCMo's.)
With the Pittsburgh area, it may be a matter of once you leave Allegheny County, the percentage drops outside of a handful of mill towns/cities in the outer counties, here and there. Allegheny County is 13.1% as of 2020 information: https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...nia/050-42003/

Aliquippa in Beaver County is probably the place outside of Allegheny County in that metro with the highest black percentage: https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...a/160-4200820/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City