Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times

Advertisements

This thread is a joke, right?

Now I'm waiting for a forum member called Fresnoan to post about how Fresno is superior to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,339 times
Why start a thread in here when you already have a thread in the vs forum?

No point comparing a 3rd--5th tier city against a 1st tier city.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM

591 posts, read 820,339 times
The weather and scenery.

That's all I got, brotha.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,870 times
Other than the weather, it wouldnt be my first choice for sure. Its expensive, smoggy and the people arent anything to write home about. If you are a big fan of amazing weather, you just have to put up with the other nonsense.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 PM

180 posts, read 327,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Surf and ski in the same day
I hear this all the time. I've even said it myself but in my 20+ years living in SoCal I've never met one person who actually did that. And I can't imagine anyone doing that on a normal basis lol. Regardless I suppose it is possible.

Now I always find it silly that people argue about what city is better. As if how their city is perceived adds worth to their life. If you like where you live then that's awesome! People have different reasons why their city is the best. I don't care where you are from I can't imagine living in one place from womb to tomb.

The main reason I hear people say they want to move to LA the beach and the weather. That's really the only reason as far I'm concerned. SoCal is a beautiful place no doubt but so are so many other places in the US.

I think it was the comedian Bill Burr (orig from Mass) who mentioned a friend from NY came to visit him in LA and complained "I hate this place, you can't get a pizza and 4am". To which Bill Burr responds "God forbid you live in a place that is not exactly like your home town. If you love it so much don't ever leave it!" lol

Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
I hear this all the time. I've even said it myself but in my 20+ years living in SoCal I've never met one person who actually did that. And I can't imagine anyone doing that on a normal basis lol. Regardless I suppose it is possible.

Now I always find it silly that people argue about what city is better. As if how their city is perceived adds worth to their life. If you like where you live then that's awesome! People have different reasons why their city is the best. I don't care where you are from I can't imagine living in one place from womb to tomb.

The main reason I hear people say they want to move to LA the beach and the weather. That's really the only reason as far I'm concerned. SoCal is a beautiful place no doubt but so are so many other places in the US.

I think it was the comedian Bill Burr (orig from Mass) who mentioned a friend from NY came to visit him in LA and complained "I hate this place, you can't get a pizza and 4am". To which Bill Burr responds "God forbid you live in a place that is not exactly like your home town. If you love it so much don't ever leave it!" lol
That's one thing I don't get, why people are in awe of LA because of the beach/weather and that LA is some paradise. It always surprises me.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
I'm from Buffalo, have lived here/there for all of my 27 years. I would eventually like to relocate to LA (posting history no longer indicates due to the top five being visible, but the LA board would be my sixth-most frequented board on CD).

For Buffalo, I'll say this, especially to lifelong Angelenos like disgruntled who has .000001% of his posts on non-LA boards:

There are certain cities where the numbers, as would be reported on CD, don't quite tell the story. In fact, that would be true for any city, so let's expand the circle of my "certain cities" here. But Buffalo is a place where, if we draw from Richard Florida and his attempt to quantify (in economic terms), the value of close relationships, whether they be familial or neighborly or what have you...that's an underrated factor. Buffalo, known as the "city of good neighbors" (and in much the same spirit as Philly is the "city of brotherly love"...tough love, in both cases, predominantly), is a place that promotes community. In that regard, MASSIVE advantage over LA, even as people continue to defect from this community-promoting place. The people who remain are those who are most onboard with that (not necessarily myself, but I do have enough connections here to placate me for the most part...to some extent, anyway).

Interestingly enough, two guys I grew up with, on my same block in a random Buffalo suburb, both live in Pasadena now, with interesting situations. I know of plenty of others who have defected to greater Los Angeles, including a few members of my rather small private high school class. The Buffalo metro area per capita produces much more "talent" (however you define that, exactly) than it's given credit for, I'd guarantee that much. Myself included. The city itself continues to decline as the long-neglected East Side becomes more and more dominant population-wise, and culturally...there are however encouraging signs in terms of catalyzing a Pittsburgh-like renaissance (to keep our references confined to the Rust Belt).

Anyway, I'd still like to spend some (considerable?) time in LA, heh. But I'll defend Buffalo as the breeder of greatness destined to defect...hell, ask Charles, LA forum vet (though OC resident), I remember him mentioning his parents being from Cheektowaga and Dunkirk, both from the greater Buffalo area. Definitely one of the better posters in this [sub-]forum, although last I checked his CD status was "not a member"

Pretty drunk but relatively coherent IMO

Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
The "Original Poster" title next to your alias is hilariously accurate in this situtation.

P.S. How and why do certain people have that next to their names?
We rate the poster on several categories (originality, informative, humor, accuracy, etc) and average out the score.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:18 PM

213 posts, read 449,038 times
Many of you fail to realize that this thread isn't about Buffalo. I already know that Buffalo is the best city, alright? I've been wondering WHY people think that LA is "sooooooo gucci" when in my opinion, it's just an average 3rd class city.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
Many of you fail to realize that this thread isn't about Buffalo. I already know that Buffalo is the best city, alright? I've been wondering WHY people think that LA is "sooooooo gucci" when in my opinion, it's just an average 3rd class city.
I don't like this thread's chances of survival now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City