Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 PM

178 posts, read 175,560 times

Advertisements

I been to LA several times I never generalized the whole city I simply said when I think of la that's all. But the fact still remains Chicago's history is much more prominent through out USA and world history. Again to me that's much more valuable and meaningful than Hollywood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 10:20 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
I been to LA several times I never generalized the whole city I simply said when I think of la that's all. But the fact still remains Chicago's history is much more prominent through out USA and world history. Again to me that's much more valuable and meaningful than Hollywood
It's still obvious to me that you know nill about Los Angeles if all you think about is Hollywood. THERE IS MORE TO LOS ANGELES BESIDES HOLLYWOOD. Do you even know anything about the history of Los Angeles? Let's start with the basics, do you know Los Angeles' full name, a name founded in the late eighteenth century?

Every major city in this country has contributed to its image in one way or another. Why are discounting that of Los Angeles'?

Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 PM

This thread people are voting that LA is more iconic and more world renowned then Chicago and I agree but most of the reasons supporting that theory is because of Hollywood and I agree as well. No I don't know LA full name but still feel Chicago has a richer history that's known more around the world than LA still today for example the Columbia expedition, the center of prohibition, countless political rallies and famous speeches from honest Abe, FDR, martin Luther King, and JFK.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
This thread people are voting that LA is more iconic and more world renowned then Chicago and I agree but most of the reasons supporting that theory is because of Hollywood and I agree as well. No I don't know LA full name but still feel Chicago has a richer history that's known more around the world than LA still today for example the Columbia expedition, the center of prohibition, countless political rallies and famous speeches from honest Abe, FDR, martin Luther King, and JFK.
I could easily say the same thing about Los Angeles. The Battle at Dominguez right before the Mexican/American War, the peace treaty signing between the US and Mexico at Cahuenga, the Gold Rush, crime from the 40's and back, the success of film and entertainment, etc. I could go on, but I think I've made my point. Again, each major city has contributed to the history of this country. Stop trying to measure one city's worth over another.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:22 AM

Eehh those just IMO are not the same a signing off a treaty ok crimes of the 40's is pretty vauge again the success of film in other words Hollywood. The first nuclear reaction research was done in Chicago that eventually lead to the creation of the atomic bomb and ultimately end the second world war that's significant. How about sports sure not as important but teams like the cubs were established in the 19 century 1865 I believe, the Sox were the original american league team established in 1900, this is my point we had certain traditions established in place for much longer than LA and then certain cities that IMO help with the recognition of the city more then others.

Last edited by chitownsFinest; 07-19-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 07-19-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Eehh those just IMO are not the same a signing off a treaty ok crimes of the 40's is pretty vauge again the success of film in other words Hollywood. The first nuclear reaction research was done in Chicago that eventually lead to the creation of the atomic bomb and ultimately end the second world war that's significant. How about sports sure not as important but teams like the cubs were established in the 19 century 1865 I believe, the Sox were the original american league team established in 1900, this is my point we had certain traditions established in place for much longer than LA in certain cities that IMO help with the recognition of the city more then others.
And you're still going on about which history is "better".

You obviously don't understand my point. We are a country of fifty states, not forty-five, not eighteen, fifty. We wouldn't be the country we are now without one of the states. Fifty states, one country. The contributions to this country come from EACH AND EVERY STATE, including the major cities in the various states. WE ARE NOTHING WITHOUT EVERYTHING. Does that make sense to you???? It's not like the country stopped developing after Chicago. This country is what it is due to various events and such. Our beginnings stem from cities like Boston, New York City and Richmond. Our history of classic gangs, speakeasies and meat factories come from Chicago. Detroit is home to America's car manufacturing. New Orleans is home to the jazz era of the U.S. Harlem was the center of many fields in regards to entertainment in this country for decades. The United States is well-known for filmmaking and music, and Los Angeles is the mecca for those, not to mention the movie palaces that came about in the early 1900's and the car culture that sprung about in the 40's and 50's. New York City is the center of Broadway plays and musicals in this country.

Do I really need to continue, or are you finally getting and understanding what I'm trying to say??? All of these aspects make up our country, the United States of America. Each major city, in one way or another, has contributed to the growth, image and style of this country. Without one, we wouldn't be who we are today, therefore no city's history is more significant than the other.

I've explained myself the best way I can, and if you still want to go on about which city's history is so-called "better", then I will officially give up here.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:14 AM

I never said anything about history being better but that Chicago has been the center of major events that have been significant compared to other cities sometimes by chance sometimes pre planned for specific reasons. Of course I'm not trying to say no other city has contributed to the USA that's silly, but by your notion you trying to convince me that the history from let's say Sandusky, oh is the or has contributed at the same level as cities like Boston or Philadelphia? I don't think so. Immigrants migrated west that's my point Chicago basically got a head start in aot of ways over LA.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
I never said anything about history being better but that Chicago has been the center of major events that have been significant compared to other cities sometimes by chance sometimes pre planned for specific reasons. Of course I'm not trying to say no other city has contributed to the USA that's silly, but by your notion you trying to convince me that the history from let's say Sandusky, oh is the or has contributed at the same level as cities like Boston or Philadelphia? I don't think so. Immigrants migrated west that's my point Chicago basically got a head start in aot of ways over LA.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:20 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
Quote:
You seem to have a misconception LA starts and ends with Hollywood. The entertainment industries (film, TV, music, video games) accounts for around 10% of LA's economy. Its not as if our lives revolve around movies. I don't even know anyone personally that works in that industry.

You mentioned that Chicago was significant in WWII because they played a part in the Manhattan Project, and you're right. Here's some LA-related WWII facts that you may or may not be aware of:
  • During WWII, Los Angeles became the US's primary aerospace center. 17% of America's total wartime production came from LA alone. The demand for production caused LA's population to swell faster than any other American city of the time, and by 1943 the population of LA was greater than 37 states combined.
  • On February 25th 1942, the Battle of Los Angeles occurred. More of a false alarm than a battle, but Santa Monica and Long Beach both got hit pretty hard.
  • Lockheed Martin was headquartered in Burbank, CA during WWII, and manufactured many planes. (Now its Bob Hope Airport, our 2nd airport after LAX.) Because of fears that it would be bombed by the Japanese, they managed to disguise the entire complex to look like a suburban housing division. It was called Operation Camouflage, and its a fascinating bit of WWII history.

LA's aerospace legacy continues to this day, although its not as big of a part of our economy as it once was. Still, there's some highlights. NASA's space shuttles were all manufactured here. NASA's jet propulsion lab (JPL) is here. When you see those rovers on Mars doing their thing, know that they were built by and are being driven by Angelenos Last but not least, SpaceX is headquartered here. Elon Musk built the HQ in an old hanger in Hawthorne that previously was used for building 747s. I've gotten a tour of the place and its pretty awesome.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:53 AM

Interesting stuff thanks for sharing I'm not saying LA is just Hollywood I was saying that the majority of the people debating that LA is more iconic and recognized around the world is because of Hollywood, which I agree with. I'm simply saying that Hollywood is just not important because it's simply entertainment. Events like you described are much more important for our parents and grandparents they will recognize and remember cities like LA and Chicago now over Hollywood because if it. I did know that about the production during ww2. I read a lot of history and it's just my impression that Chicago has been mentioned many more times then LA in my readings that's all. From several firsts like the first franchised McDonald's, to amazingly the first open heart surgery. It doesn't mean Chicago is any better or more important but it does speak volumes to it's culture and history. I guess my whole point was more of an opinion , I'd rather have things like that represent my city, even thou facts like that are lessen known, as oppose to Hollywood which again for better or worse the majority of people around the world associate LA with. I mentioned that without Hollywood I wonder how LA would be viewed today? Not being sarcastic here just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City