Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More relevant city in the future
Houston 155 53.45%
Boston 135 46.55%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
What do any of those cities you listed growth rates for have to do with Houston & Boston?

Oh wait...you had to slip Philly in there to in your own little way spite Houston.

Houston overtook Philly for 5th place get over it already. Your battle now is Washington. Good luck.

I showed Boston and Houston in a list that had many large metros for comparative purposes.

Ok you have your stat, doesnt mean a ton to me on how I live my life nor should it really to you IMHO, but if that helps you sleep at night enjoy it, but again this thread is about Boston and Houston, not Austin or Philly or Upper East Texas or whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd Spectrum View Post
I love how Boston is still more relevant than Houston in the eyes of City Data, even though Houston has a higher GDP, higher GDP growth rate, and a higher population growth rate. Shows the amount of bias this forum has against Texas cities. Whatever, in real life, Houston based companies can conspire with OPEC to charge $120 per barrel of oil, and y'all would be helping making us richer in the process. What can Boston do to hurt Houston? Thought so.
You are one fine American, I hope it is at least going in your pockets

Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
I love how Boston is still more relevant than Houston in the eyes of City Data, even though Houston has a higher GDP, higher GDP growth rate, and a higher population growth rate. Shows the amount of bias this forum has against Texas cities. Whatever, in real life, Houston based companies can conspire with OPEC to charge $120 per barrel of oil, and y'all would be helping making us richer in the process. What can Boston do to hurt Houston? Thought so.
So blood money and deception makes Houston and your argument more relevant? How noble and repectable.

Also why would Boston want to hurt anyone? They don't have an axe to grind. Do you have an axe to grind Zedd Spectrum?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-11-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
You've got a pretty bizarre outlook on how the world works. Why would cities within the same country try to sabotage the other?

You're ignoring some pretty large aspects to economics by simply posting GDP levels. This isn't to say GDP isn't important, because it is. But it's not everything. When it comes to financial services, Boston wipes the floor with Houston. It has one of the largest amounts of assets under management in the world. That certainly has economic sway. On top of that is the amount of medical & technological research which goes on in the Boston area. A great deal of major pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies have a large research presence in Boston/Cambridge. This has massive economic ramifications around the world, and, again, is an area where Houston isn't even close to Boston.

So calm down a little. You don't have to agree with Boston being at or above Houston's level, but there's no need to tweak out.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM

92 posts, read 137,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You've got a pretty bizarre outlook on how the world works. Why would cities within the same country try to sabotage the other?
Its a hypothetical based in truth. If you wanna see how powerful a city is, how can it hurt others?

Quote:
You're ignoring some pretty large aspects to economics by simply posting GDP levels. This isn't to say GDP isn't important, because it is. But it's not everything. When it comes to financial services, Boston wipes the floor with Houston. It has one of the largest amounts of assets under management in the world. That certainly has economic sway. On top of that is the amount of medical & technological research which goes on in the Boston area. A great deal of major pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies have a large research presence in Boston/Cambridge. This has massive economic ramifications around the world, and, again, is an area where Houston isn't even close to Boston.
Ok, but its hard to compare two different things and say they are alike if you don't use an objective equalizer like GDP. In terms of what makes more money (which really is the most important thing of all), Houston wipes the floor with Boston. Boston has niches that is better than Houston, but Houston is the center of the economic world in the US when it comes to the energy industry (not to mention, it has one of the largest US ports and largest medical centers in the US). Can Boston compare?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Its a hypothetical based in truth. If you wanna see how powerful a city is, how can it hurt others?

Ok, but its hard to compare two different things and say they are alike if you don't use an objective equalizer like GDP. In terms of what makes more money (which really is the most important thing of all), Houston wipes the floor with Boston. Boston has niches that is better than Houston, but Houston is the center of the economic world in the US when it comes to the energy industry (not to mention, it has one of the largest US ports and largest medical centers in the US). Can Boston compare?
That is a corporate endeavor, actually illegal in US; and TBH a really odd city personification

Maybe have Houston F with DC and see what happens - actually as ludicris as your statement

And truth be told you are way over simplifying your assertion; not to mention adversly effecting the US economy is a long term major issue for the Houston economy

On medical centers, while TMC is large - what is happening in Boston is probably the most important medical reserach in the world today. Houton is lucky to even punch through the top 5 iun the US at this point, I think you need to temper your vigor TBH

Boston destroys on tech to BTW, and on finance not even close

One thing is for sure, Boston is far more well rounded, and this with Houston having a very good economy

On wipes the floor; Boston definately outpaces Houston in Life Sciences - the largest industy in the US (larger than energy). You are quickly losing credibility and to me making many poor taste posts which to me are diminishing the view of Houston on this thread (which should be formidible)

Old 09-11-2013, 06:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
That is a corporate endeavor, actually illegal in US; and TBH a really odd city personification
Odd is right. But it's not the first time he's promoted economic treason.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 PM

92 posts, read 137,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Maybe have Houston F with DC and see what happens - actually as ludicris as your statement
Well, considering how many lobbyists Houston area companies have in DC....

Quote:
On medical centers, while TMC is large - what is happening in Boston is probably the most important medical reserach in the world today. Houton is lucky to even punch through the top 5 iun the US at this point, I think you need to temper your vigor TBH

Boston destroys on tech to BTW, and on finance not even close

One thing is for sure, Boston is far more well rounded, and this with Houston having a very good economy
Boston is so well rounded that Houston has a larger economy. That makes so much sense. Thank you! I'd rather not be as well rounded and be larger.

Quote:
On wipes the floor; Boston definately outpaces Houston in Life Sciences - the largest industy in the US (larger than energy). You are quickly losing credibility and to me making many poor taste posts which to me are diminishing the view of Houston on this thread (which should be formidible)
Then why isn't this reflected in the GDP?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Well, considering how many lobbyists Houston area companies have in DC....

Boston is so well rounded that Houston has a larger economy. That makes so much sense. Thank you! I'd rather not be as well rounded and be larger.

Then why isn't this reflected in the GDP?
One GDP isnt all telling

Two Boston outpaces Houston in per capita GDP and per Capita income; also on a CSA level in gross I believe though again GDP isnt all telling

Three Houston is probably more at risk to a single movement - It performs well when oil is up and poor when down

Your posts read like CHRON to me - you guys start to believe the hype. Odd in that Houston does a great job to PR their residents yet falls beyond in influencing those outside; the irony...

Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
In this thread Houston is king because it has the higher GDP. In the Houston vs. SF thread, Houston is still king despite the lower GDP because 'Zedd Spectrum' knows some black people who moved from Oakland and has a gut feeling Chevron will be relocating its HQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City