Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Gonna have to go with California in this one. Don't hear much about Texas around here other than bad stuff. Plus the cowboys stink and the miners are peaking.
Like In N Out & Jollibee relocating here?

Official Grand Opening in Texas (Houston) today.
Attached Thumbnails
More economically relevant state in the future: California or Texas-jollibee.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

You mean they opened restaurants there? That's not 'relocating', that's 'expanding'.

In N Out is HQed in Irvine and Jollibee is HQed in the Phillipines.

fyi.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego > Houston, Dallas, San Antonio

Old 09-12-2013, 08:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
I'd say Texas probably has the more secure future.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Oh Matt, you didn't just pin the future of Texas on the opening of a couple burger franchises, did you?

While you guys are out counting license plates and hamburger joints, California is undertaking major public works projects and expanding the largest economy in the country.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Gonna have to go with California in this one. Don't hear much about Texas around here other than bad stuff. Plus the cowboys stink and the miners are peaking.
Except for I am moving to Texas from random neighbor X you are prob right..lol

Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Oh Matt, you didn't just pin the future of Texas on the opening of a couple burger franchises, did you?

While you guys are out counting license plates and hamburger joints, California is undertaking major public works projects and expanding the largest economy in the country.
No I will pin our future on our expand port.. which passed NYC in exports
I will pin it on a massavie medical complex, which continues to expand
I will pin it on a growing Tech industry
I will pin it on a growing aerospace program

and so forth and so on

Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,356 times
California by far.

Where are the Apples, Microsofts, Teslas, Googles, SpaceXs, Facebooks, of Texas? Has any successful innovative business ever come from there? SpaceX built a rocket test facility there because of the cheap land and lack of environmental regulations, but NASA built one in the swamps of Mississippi too, way back in the 50's. In my view, Texas is kind of the China of the United States. It's an okay place to do your manufacturing because you can pay your workers nothing and dump your toxic waste in the rivers or air, for now. Once the resources are gone or totally polluted, and the locals start agitating for clean drinking water, pull up stakes and move on. California is the place you want to put your R&D departments and headquarters. Costs are higher, but its easier to attract the top talent, who are picky about where they live.

Nobody I know would willingly move to Texas from anywhere (even the Midwest), but everyone wants to live in California. It's not surprising, since Texas seems like a giant flat sweltering swamp or desert with dirty oil beaches, no mountains to speak of, and tornadoes and hurricanes 9 months out of the year. Where can you drive to for vacation in Texas? Somewhere slightly less awful, I guess, like New Mexico?

I wish that everyone was really leaving California, as some op-ed's like to claim. But if that were true, we wouldn't have seen CA be the last housing market to collapse or the first to recover.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:38 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
No I will pin our future on our expand port.. which passed NYC in exports
I will pin it on a massavie medical complex, which continues to expand
I will pin it on a growing Tech industry
I will pin it on a growing aerospace program

and so forth and so on
I was replying to Matt's ridiculous hamburger post. But, since you brought all that into a Texas vs. California economic relevance thread, you do realize that statewide, in each of those categories you list, California is ahead of Texas and growing at similar, if not greater measures, right?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
California by far.

Where are the Apples, Microsofts, Teslas, Googles, SpaceXs, Facebooks, of Texas? Has any successful innovative business ever come from there? SpaceX built a rocket test facility there because of the cheap land and lack of environmental regulations, but NASA built one in the swamps of Mississippi too, way back in the 50's. In my view, Texas is kind of the China of the United States. It's an okay place to do your manufacturing because you can pay your workers nothing and dump your toxic waste in the rivers or air, for now. Once the resources are gone or totally polluted, and the locals start agitating for clean drinking water, pull up stakes and move on. California is the place you want to put your R&D departments and headquarters. Costs are higher, but its easier to attract the top talent, who are picky about where they live.

Nobody I know would willingly move to Texas from anywhere (even the Midwest), but everyone wants to live in California. It's not surprising, since Texas seems like a giant flat sweltering swamp or desert with dirty oil beaches, no mountains to speak of, and tornadoes and hurricanes 9 months out of the year. Where can you drive to for vacation in Texas? Somewhere slightly less awful, I guess, like New Mexico?

I wish that everyone was really leaving California, as some op-ed's like to claim. But if that were true, we wouldn't have seen CA be the last housing market to collapse or the first to recover.

WOW so much wrong with this where to began.. Texas was the last housing market to be hit and was the first out the gate to re-coop it losses.in fact we cant build fast enough for demand.

Mounatain areas of Texas..
Guadalupe Mountains

hell here is the list..
https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/mountains.html..

You are clearly ignorant have no clue about what you are talking about. do yourself a favor and stay out o this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City