Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The states with the lowest per capita income are virtually all red. How is it that they have a brighter future? Because they have nowhere to go but up?

Red states are the biggest welfare states in the country. This has been well-documented. They take in far more in federal dollars than they put it. It's usually blue states that foot the bill. Red states also rank near the bottom in everything from education, to healthcare, to crime.

This is why those "low COL = better QOL" arguments are a fallacy. You get what you pay for.

For conservatives, Texas is the only bright spot. Until it turns blue, that is.
Clearly you have no understanding of state economics.

There are plenty of red states that have stronger economies than Blue States, in fact red states as a whole do better overall.

Red states' income growing faster than blue states'

Ever hear of Utah? Best economy in the nation and it's red. This is due to following conservative economic policies such as lowering taxes and making it easier for businesses to grow. Nearly all blue states are flirting with bankruptcy such as California, Hawaii (which has the highest rate of welfare recipients, there goes your prior claim), New York, Michigan, Illinois, New Jersey....

Detroit

It pays not to work: Hawaii residents receive highest welfare benefits in US | Hawaii Reporter

Furthermore, those red states you mentioned tend to be more socially conservative and not as much fiscally conservative. Which is why their economies are not as good.
Also COL is directly related to Quality of Life, it's not a matter of "you get what you pay for ", not even close (again its obvious you have no economic education). With a large sum of money in a place like Detroit might buy you at best a slummy small apartment in a crime ridden area, where as that same sum of money could buy you a nice house with a plot of land in Texas. Not to mention you can buy more food and for far less, as well as medicine, clothing, and other essentials that are all tied into the quality of life. Of course there are exceptions such as Hawaii having a generally high quality of life despite it's disastrous economy, but that is taking into account the weather and such, by and large it is the opposite in the other states.

You can also attempt to argue that people in Blue States might get paid more, however this is a fallacy as many of those wages are adjusted to compare with the higher cost of living, it's kind of like bragging about your state having a higher minimum wage, but in reality that is a bad thing as it drives up inflation. The red states may pay less but that's because the value of the dollar is worth more
n those places. A poor person in California who is struggling to survive and live in a dump could be eating like a king and enjoying a better house and luxerys in say South Carolina.

high on the hog: how lower cost of living equals better quality of life

Also I want to see your source for red states being the most on welfare because according to official government spending website, it seems to be the opposite. With California and Hawaii being tied for the biggest.

Compare Welfare Spending By State 1957-2018 - Charts

I advise you to gain a better education of economic policies and to rethink your liberal view points, because they clearly are not working out for the states that adopt them. And keep dreaming, Texas is not going to ever become a blue states just like California will never become a red states (until they go bankrupt and change their values).

http://blogs.the-american-interest.c...on-on-the-way/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 07:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times

Old 09-15-2013, 10:01 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I advise you to gain a better education of economic policies and to rethink your liberal view points, because they clearly are not working out for the states that adopt them. And keep dreaming, Texas is not going to ever become a blue states just like California will never become a red states (until they go bankrupt and change their values).
Aftr reading your non-responsive nonsense, you are in no position to advise anybody about comparative economic policy.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Cali >>>>> Texas

Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Good for you.

Mind if I ask, what attractions do Texans even look forward to? Why would someone even look forward to living in Texas over California? Besides Texas being cheaper, I can't think of a single reason.
Houston, love the culture, love the small towns, low cost of living, hot summers, lots of jobs.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Good job bringing politics into this; all this red state blue state crap doesnt matter.
Minnesota and Iowa are blue states and are doing great.
Utah and North Dakota are red states and are also doing great.
Well if the blue state/red state crap correlates very well in general and very much in aggregate (think about how tiny the populations of Utah and North Dakota are) and seem to have underlying similar proximate causes, then of course it's relevant.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Quote:
Good for you.

Mind if I ask, what attractions do Texans even look forward to? Why would someone even look forward to living in Texas over California? Besides Texas being cheaper, I can't think of a single reason.
Let me start off by saying this.... I am a Texan and proud of it! I rep this state a lot knowing it has lots of potential of becoming a successful place in this nation. As attractions goes in this state well that depends on what that individual likes. In Austin we have a state of the art world class racetrack for Formula 1 and other endurance races. Right down the road in New Braunfels which is in the San Antonio metro area we have one of the nation's largest waterparks. To give you an example I live in north Austin I can drive a scenic route through the hill country in my Italian car go wine tastings, then hope to a town called Bikinis, Texas to check out the gorgeous women that live there, from there go down to San Antonio which about an hr away, walk the riverwalk, explore the historic landmarks, and some world class art, then have some great Mexican food, and have a big fiesta at twilight. Then drive back to Austin to clubbing and or see a magic act all in a days time. Btw this is a little taste on what I do.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:35 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,985 times
Quote:
Good for you.

Hopefully you're being sarcastic.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:36 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
How recent is that map? Because some states have changed colors.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,421,472 times
California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City