Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This is America not Italy?? I would think one would be looking for American girls in America. That's like someone born in America, has always lived in America but put something else in front of America to identify themselves. I call these people confused.
It's called labelling your ancestry. They're not confused at all, they know where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
After New York:

1. Philadelphia
2. Pittsburgh
3. Baltimore
4. Buffalo
5. Chicago

Pretty much anywhere in the Northeast.
Why would you skip Boston and Providence but put Baltimore and Chicago?!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:59 AM

89 posts, read 168,833 times
Just about any large city in the northeast.

Also to the person who mentioned Chicago as a
mecca for fine Itallian women. Doubt it. Chicago is
more known for fine Hispanic women and to a
certain extent Indian women.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:05 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's called labelling your ancestry. They're not confused at all, they know where they live.
Many southerners are farther separated from Europe and have lost contact with their families in Europe... It's pretty typical for half the family to still live in Italy, Israel, Serbia, China etc at least among NY'ers...

Almost any recent foreign born people in the south is only in the last 10-20 years in places like Atlanta or Houston...and they are mostly non european ethnicities, but Asian/Hispanic. Otherwise, virtually non existent.

Lets just go back to when immigration was still at a high point, for say, current generation including grandparents, say, 1930s before WWII by percent foreign born populations. You could do up through the 90s and it's still pretty consistent negligible amount for the south.

Alabama .5%
Georgia .6%
Tennessee .6%
South Carolina .3%
North Carolina .3%
Mississippi .4%

contrasted with
New York 25.9%
New Jersey 21%
Massachussetts 25.1%
Illinois 16.3%
Pennsylvania 12.9%

The numbers are drastically different, b/c the cultures are drastically different, and yes, there are plenty of Italian Americans, Jewish Americans still about, etc, along with their first born children that kept coming, grand kids, etc... My gf's family (i.e. her father) from NYC were all born overseas. I consider myself white, and my great grandparents were not born in the U.S. either and immigrated here in the 1900s. That really wasn't happening in the south for almost all of the 20th century, or even much of the 19th century. My families on both my dad's and mom's side moved to Florida in the 60s, now, some people in my extended family have picked up on southern traits, others haven't. My stepdads grandma's house that lives in North Florida basically looks like you walked into a villa in Seville. A lot of northern families moved south around WWII and afterwards b/c of good opportunities and expanding military bases especially in FL, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, etc.

It only makes sense that Southerners identify so strongly as "american" well, they definitely have been here longer and have way less recent ethnic diversity.

Last edited by grapico; 09-28-2013 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
There is no such thing as _____________American. You are either American or you are not.
Yes, there is. Labelling your roots is among the most American thing to do, as we are nation of immigrants, or rather descendents of immigrants.

Quote:
Since you didn't get my point, I had to plainly spell it out for you. Our nations biggest problem is the divisions this __________American attitude causes in our country. United we stand; divided we fall. Keep up the _________American attitude and this country will be just a part of history.
Your point doesn't makes sense to me, you appeared unfamiliar with everyday terms of speech. I can't think of many problems created by people labelling themselves "Italian-American" or anything else. Divisions by ideology are problem more destructive.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
But they evidently do not know who they are if they put something else in front of America. Americans are Americans and only Americans if they are loyal to this country only.
Yes, they do, it's obvious they live here. Note that "Italian-American" has "American in it. America is made of lots similar people who came from everywhere, it's what made America. It's just an ethnic marker. If it sounds disloyal to you, then you're confused.

Quote:

No we are not a nation of immigrants. My ancestors were here when this country was formed. You need to learn what the word "immigrant" means. Most people living in this country right now are not immigrants. We do have more than our share of illegals though. Columbus discovered America in 1492. Our nation was formed in 1776. Many generations had lived on American soil before our nation was formed. Most people who lived here when the nation was formed were not immigrants because they were born here. It is a matter of understanding history. I do not list any other name in front of America because I think of myself as American only. My ancestors formed this country.

I know what immigrant means, it means people who moved to this country from another country. Fine. We are [mostly] a nation of descendents of immigrants, even if you're not. Just because your entire family was here when the US was formed doesn't mean it's true for most people.

Last edited by nei; 09-28-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It only makes sense that Southerners identify so strongly as "american" well, they definitely have been here longer and have way less recent ethnic diversity.
Weird. That's not my idea of "normal America" except some rural areas. I remember in some school classes, the teachers assumed all the [white] students' families came roughly 100 years ago. And we had one day asking "where'd your ancestors come from?" Roots back from colonial times would be unusual.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:32 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
Quote:
No we are not a nation of immigrants. My ancestors were here when this country was formed. You need to learn what the word "immigrant" means.
The vast majority of people in the U.S. are descended from immigrants, and most of those within a few generations.

Your situation is extremely atypical. Unless you're Native American or a descendant from the Mayflower, you aren't likely to not have identifiable ethnic roots from somewhere else.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
contrasted with
New York 25.9%
New Jersey 21%
Massachussetts 25.1%
Illinois 16.3%
Pennsylvania 12.9%.
New York's at 21% now, I doubt it would be higher in a decade. Massachusetts 15%. Those numbers might be close to a peak for those states, maybe 1910 or 1920 would be slightly higher. I know 1970 had the lowest foreign born % (probably since the early 1800s?) for NY City, not sure about the state.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Look at the census reports and you will find the other poster is correct about most people from the South being American only. Roots from colonial times is normal in the South. And that is more like 200-300 years ago.
I read it. I don't live in the south, nor have I been there since I was 6. What you think is normal doesn't work elsewhere, and neither does your conception of "American". The South is different. Honestly, a lot of Northerners forget about its distinctiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City