Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Pittsburgh which cities has the better natural beauty?
Pittsburgh 68 75.56%
Austin 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:20 AM

67 posts, read 126,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Actually you said Austin was getting "hate" here, which maybe I missed. Most of the comparisons in this thread seemed pretty fair, although there will always be anti-Texas people.
You want to know about getting hate... try being a Houstonian for a while. People constantly trash the place without having visited. Or having lived there decades ago, or maybe after driving through on the freeways for a quick visit. Even other Texans are horrible about this. It's pretty sad.

I just wanted to post some pictures to show what Austin has to offer, but agree with the your answer. It is true that Houston gets a lot of unwarranted hate around here. Both Houston and Dallas have done fantastic jobs of trying to fix their urban cores. Fort Worth is not a town mentioned in this regard, but they have as well. All the major cities in Texas are light years ahead of where they were 10 years ago with the exception of San Antonio. While the riverwalk area is still great, San Antonio needs more people living downtown to make it more livable and better the experience as a whole. Won't get more into that as it is off-topic though.

In summary, I posted my pics and feel satisfied in conceding defeat to Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I posted a picture and a link to an entire website of professional photos. They are copyrighted, so cross-posting them here would be a violation of the TOS. But it takes just one click to see hundreds of Pittsburgh pictures.

As far as it being "gospel".....the question was asked and it was answered honestly.

And it was one click away!

-- Posted with TapaTalk
As someone else already said, copious photos of the Pittsburgh skyline aren't really relevant. One was enough. Did you post another link I missed?

Plus, why click a third party link and dig for photos when it's exceedingly easy to post them here? Does no one living in Pittsburgh or who has visited taken any of their own pictures of the allegedly incredible natural beauty?

Old 10-16-2013, 07:03 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
As someone else already said, copious photos of the Pittsburgh skyline aren't really relevant. One was enough. Did you post another link I missed?
No....but at that link are many more photos than just Pittsburgh's skyline. Perhaps you should try looking.

Quote:
Plus, why click a third party link and dig for photos when it's exceedingly easy to post them here? Does no one living in Pittsburgh or who has visited taken any of their own pictures of the allegedly incredible natural beauty?
First of all, I already told you why.

Secondly, it's not "alleged" when everyone here already agrees.

Just because you don't like the results, doesn't mean Pittsburgh somehow cheated. Deal with it.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 10-16-2013, 07:45 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,095 times
I think Pittsburgh's natural beauty comes down to the fact that the hills are all among us. It's not something that is necessarily easy to capture on camera in a way that makes people sit up and go "WOW!" other than from a few obvious points (Mt. Washington, etc), but it's remarkable to be in such a dense urban area and to be able to really feel that topography exists, anywhere in the city. You could be walking down a street, and at the end of the street there is suddenly a wall of green (with stair-street!), or a glimpse of the Downtown skycrapers, even though they are several miles away, between a couple of houses.

There's also the four seasons aspect to provide natural aesthetic diversity.

And I didn't see anyone mention the parks, either - within the city limits are four huge parks, ranging from 250 to 550 acres, that all manage to fit seamlessly into the urban fabric of the city; at least three of the four are surrounded by and are an easy walk from dense, vibrant neighborhoods.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Both Austin and Pittsburgh share beauty.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
No....but at that link are many more photos than just Pittsburgh's skyline. Perhaps you should try looking.

First of all, I already told you why.

Secondly, it's not "alleged" when everyone here already agrees.

Just because you don't like the results, doesn't mean Pittsburgh somehow cheated. Deal with it.

-- Posted with TapaTalk
In a thread about natural beauty, it is indeed alleged until there are photos posted. Are you saying that the poll results are more compelling than photos?

I really have no problem with the results, I actually said (twice) that I agree Pittsburgh would win, I'm basically just making an appeal to see some actual evidence other than a website of professional skyline photos.

Does anyone have any photos to post that showcase Pitt's natural beauty, other than Bludy and her skyline website?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Quote:
In a thread about natural beauty, it is indeed alleged until there are photos posted. Are you saying that the poll results are more compelling than photos?

I really have no problem with the results, I actually said (twice) that I agree Pittsburgh would win, I'm basically just making an appeal to see some actual evidence other than a website of professional skyline photos.

Does anyone have any photos to post that showcase Pitt's natural beauty, other than Bludy and her skyline website?
I here what you're saying I actually went to the Pittsburgh forum looking for a picture thread and to my surprise I didn't see one. I went to the Austin forum and there is a picture thread. I'm with you on wanting to see pictures from residents of Pittsburgh instead of some commercial pictures. Pittsburgh is too beautiful to not have a picture thread on their forum.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,699 times
Quote:

You didn't bother looking at the link....OBVIOUSLY.

Quit whining.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,234 times
The Lakes area in West Austin with its hills and lavish homes is very scenic but thats about it. Pittsburgh is scenic all around and the view of downtown from Mt. Washington will take your breath away!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:38 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyyoda View Post
I just wanted to post some pictures to show what Austin has to offer, but agree with the your answer. It is true that Houston gets a lot of unwarranted hate around here. Both Houston and Dallas have done fantastic jobs of trying to fix their urban cores. Fort Worth is not a town mentioned in this regard, but they have as well. All the major cities in Texas are light years ahead of where they were 10 years ago with the exception of San Antonio. While the riverwalk area is still great, San Antonio needs more people living downtown to make it more livable and better the experience as a whole. Won't get more into that as it is off-topic though.

In summary, I posted my pics and feel satisfied in conceding defeat to Pittsburgh.

San Antonio has lots of residential construction going on in and around its downtown area with major projects focusing making it a 24/7 downtown. They both have beautiful scenery but Pittsburgh does get more rain making it more green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City