Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:16 PM

612 posts, read 846,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I don't know any wizards fans. After the team left Baltimore, they weren't our team any more. Most of the people that I know are Celtics fans. Pro basketball is bigger than college basketball here in Baltimore.
So why did the Bullets leave Baltimore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 01:43 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,608,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Cannot you not read? I said they are more basketball cities than DC. I never said that was the most popular sport there is basketball. Just like in Boston, baseball is king but basketball is still more popular there than in DC.
I can read just fine. Basketball is not more popular in Dallas and Houston than it is in DC. Not even close.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:29 PM

73 posts, read 104,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That said, when it comes from a talent standpoint, there's not many beating DC lately.
Not sure I agree with that.

Tyreke Evans, Kyle Lowry, that kid Jefferson from Chester going to ASU, MGK (he cut his teeth in Philly gyms at 62nd or 63rd), Dion Waiters, Scoop Jardine, Rick Jackson, Khalif Wyatt, really there's just a ton of ballers coming out of Philly, let alone its metro, every year.

That's only male players. Let's not forget the females either.

I could go on for days with this. Even if you take out Chester, Camden, and Wilmington, the city of Philadelphia alone blows everywhere not named New York out of the water. The only places that can somewhat compete are Chicago and BALTIMORE, not Baltimore/DC.

Also, only one of these options is a city. How is it that you all get to use two completely different metros as one city?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Population loss. Don't try to take away from Baltimore just because DC can't stand on its own.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Philly for sure. Only ones above Philly would be (in order) LA, NYC, Chicago and then Philly. I am not sure DC-Baltimore would even make it to the top 10 as I find Boston, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and Indianapolis to be more basketball oriented cities than DC.
No way is LA even in this conversation.

They cannot ever go toe to toe with legitimate basketball cities like New York, then Philadelphia, then Chicago, then Baltimore. In that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Down here in the DC-Baltimore area, we put more emphasis on college basketball than professional NBA basketball. DC is more of a football-, soccer-, hockey-, and baseball-oriented city, especially football! Bmore is a very football- and baseball-oriented city.
What's with this combining metros? Do we get to combine ours too?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM

26,248 posts, read 49,145,261 times
Quote:
Money. TONS more money in DC metro area than in Baltimore.

I once heard some guys who worked for the RCA distributor talking about the two markets; the guys agreed that they could move a hundred TV sets in the DC market with a sale but only a handful of TV sets in the Baltimore market as the discretionary spending money just wasn't in charm city - it never really was.

I grew up in Baltimore and spent 30 more years in DC working for the Army. My home town was never more than a branch-office and factory town. DC is a jackpot of money.

As manufacturing waned in Baltimore, and the downtown Civic Center area deteriorated, people weren't willing to venture downtown for a game. Meanwhile, the Feds and all those lobbyists in the DC metro area had wads of money to spend on entertainment and sports.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:51 PM

10,118 posts, read 10,008,645 times
Quote:
Because the city wouldn't build a new arena. The arena is trash.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,608,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 058057 View Post
Not sure I agree with that.

Tyreke Evans, Kyle Lowry, that kid Jefferson from Chester going to ASU, MGK (he cut his teeth in Philly gyms at 62nd or 63rd), Dion Waiters, Scoop Jardine, Rick Jackson, Khalif Wyatt, really there's just a ton of ballers coming out of Philly, let alone its metro, every year.

That's only male players. Let's not forget the females either.

I could go on for days with this. Even if you take out Chester, Camden, and Wilmington, the city of Philadelphia alone blows everywhere not named New York out of the water. The only places that can somewhat compete are Chicago and BALTIMORE, not Baltimore/DC.

Also, only one of these options is a city. How is it that you all get to use two completely different metros as one city?
Yeah but DC area has Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Jeff Green, Delonte West, Ty Lawson, Kendall Marshall, Gary Neal. That's a solid lineup there themselves.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM

10,648 posts, read 16,065,551 times
DC: Kevin Durant, Elgin Baylor, Adrian Dantley, Dave Bing
Philly: Wilt Chamberlain, Kobe Bryant, Paul Arizin, Earl Monroe

Old 10-10-2013, 03:37 PM

612 posts, read 846,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Because the city wouldn't build a new arena. The arena is trash.
Ya know, contrary to popular myth, Seattle wasn't totally "robbed" of the SuperSonics, the citizens just weren't interested in contributing to fund a new arena, among other factors of course. I know Baltimore's a better basketball mecca than Seattle, however I just feel as though fan support could've helped a great deal in keeping the Bullets there, and even with them relocating, that Baltimore would still support the team, being that they're right in the backyard; it's not like they moved to St. Louis. I understand that these cities, I guess are "rivals", but if the Chicago Bulls can have fans in Australia, the day the Wizards win a championship'll see more B-More bulls embrace the Wiz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City