Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:52 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Toronto is a bigger city with bigger downtown. However, I prefer Philadelphia because it's more quaint and charming. I like the history and the cultural scene better in Philadelphia. The people are nicer and not as moody as Toronto people are. In fact, I feel Toronto is a bland version of LA without the glamour of Hollywood despite all the filming there.
Very bland.I'd rather be in a city with some 'grit" that give it character than a "manufactured paradise" out of the Truman show.

If the best feeling you evoke from a city is "nice" that means it is usually easily forgetable.
Toronto lacks

Philly is a complete city with a history that is the backbone of the most powerful wealthiest countries on the planet.Culture and history surrounds you in Philly.

I mean we are not talking about Gary IN or Camen NJ.Philly is not a city that is full of depair and destitution.

While it has fallen and gone through rough times its renassaince of late is meaninful.If Philly's crime keeps going down and the city core keeps gaining population,it has more than everything to put it back on the world map.

Currently I could not live in Philly,but I see its potential in becoming as liveable as even Toronto one day.

A diamond in the rough is still a diamond.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Very bland.I'd rather be in a city with some 'grit" that give it character than a "manufactured paradise" out of the Truman show.

If the best feeling you evoke from a city is "nice" that means it is usually easily forgetable.
Toronto lacks
You know nothing about Toronto. Bland? Lacking in grit? hilarious! There's a LOT more to Toronto than the shiny new condo buildings downtown, you know. The term "messy urbanism" was invented by an American writer after a visit to Toronto.

Edit- I found a link to the original article that coined the term: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2007/10/17...f-an-angeleno/

Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM

349 posts, read 572,884 times
Toronto is not lacking in grit, I mean 90% of America is lacking in grit compared to Philly, but still.......

Old 11-19-2013, 01:05 PM

218 posts, read 376,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Very bland.I'd rather be in a city with some 'grit" that give it character than a "manufactured paradise" out of the Truman show...
Paraphrased: "Toronto certainly is lacking. The crime rate is far too low, which makes it "forgettable." Also, the fact that the downtown is so lively and liveable that thousands of people are moving to it is not gritty enough for my taste. I prefer a city where I am much more likely to be shot; a city that has gone through rough times; though I personally would not live in such a city. In fact, the only way I'd move back to Philly is if it was more liveable...kind of like Toronto. In conclusion, Philly is a better city, and the fact that crime rate is decreasing and people are moving downtown (i.e. similar to Toronto) makes it better, even though Toronto is doing better by both those criteria."

You sound ridiculous.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Paraphrased: "Toronto certainly is lacking. The crime rate is far too low, which makes it "forgettable." Also, the fact that the downtown is so lively and liveable that thousands of people are moving to it is not gritty enough for my taste. I prefer a city where I am much more likely to be shot; a city that has gone through rough times; though I personally would not live in such a city. In fact, the only way I'd move back to Philly is if it was more liveable...kind of like Toronto. In conclusion, Philly is a better city, and the fact that crime rate is decreasing and people are moving downtown (i.e. similar to Toronto) makes it better, even though Toronto is doing better by both those criteria."

You sound ridiculous.
My post from #23 3rd page:
Quote:
Toronto is a more livable city by far
So there is no need to paraphrase when it written plainly.Next time read before you try to put words in peoples mouth.

I said to visit,Philly delivers more for a tourist than Toronto
Maybe it is a less than exciting city to visit than it is to live.BLAND.Forgettable.Nice.
Now who really sound ridiculous?YOU!

Last edited by afonega1; 11-19-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
You know nothing about Toronto. Bland? Lacking in grit? hilarious! There's a LOT more to Toronto than the shiny new condo buildings downtown, you know. The term "messy urbanism" was invented by an American writer after a visit to Toronto.

Edit- I found a link to the original article that coined the term: Toronto's Messy Urbanism from the perspective of an Angeleno | Spacing Toronto
I like how you like to tell people what they know and don't know.I know that for me Toronto was a nice vibrant city.I can see why people love it.
However nothing for me stood out of all the places in the world I have lived and visited.
Never claimed to know Toronto well.I do not.But I have been 3 times and I just think its just nice.
Anybody who ask me about what I think if they should go,I say "yes.Its a nice city".Not one of my favorites in the world but worth visiting.

You may not like my opinion but I will not be bullied into saying something I don't feel.

Last edited by afonega1; 11-19-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 05:45 PM

274 posts, read 470,244 times
No comparison! Philly is a way better city than Toronto. Philly has history and characters while Toronto is just a major city.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
No comparison! Philly is a way better city than Toronto. Philly has history and characters while Toronto is just a major city.
Sure... because Toronto doesn't have any history or "characters"... Oy vey...
Just a major city? What does that even mean?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 PM

165 posts, read 276,839 times
Don't pay attention to these posters. Toronto is a real metropolitan while Philadelphia is blue collar city that's trying to get its acts together. Philadelphia feels like a small city with street smart attitude. Downtown Toronto is so impressive and bigger. It's more of an international city. Toronto smokes Philadelphia.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Don't pay attention to these posters. Toronto is a real metropolitan while Philadelphia is blue collar city that's trying to get its acts together. Philadelphia feels like a small city with street smart attitude. Downtown Toronto is so impressive and bigger. It's more of an international city. Toronto smokes Philadelphia.
Lol with this guy . Toronto is a suburb on steroids, downtown not withstanding of course. The crux of the city is amazingly un-urban given its population density. Think your typical 1950's-80's suburbs in the east & mid-west states but piled on top of each other. For Philly followers imagine like 100 Havertowns completely surrounding Center City. Makes for a nice safe but not terribly exciting place to live imo.

Last edited by rainrock; 11-22-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City