Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You do see to care.You keep posting videos and telling me I missed the finer points.I'm JUST NOT INTERESTED!!Understand?

Ill be there again and I will see some the points you mentioned.Just because you are making these claims that it matters.
I know what interest ME.This is why I can make whatever statements I want.
Apparently I keep getting PM and rep points so whatever you say is irrelevat to me BUT I wil make you the promise that I will revisit and take more notice when I get there in September.

So when I return here after my visit don't get mad if I give you my honest opinion.

Well I would surmise that you Toronto poster are very arrogant and love get personal.
Even in our last post I told you generally people want to visit certain cities.

Toronto has never been a city I wanted to visit over so many other cities.
I was honest as to what my taste are and why and you guys get your feelings all butt hurt because I did not spen the time in toronto to get to know it better.NOT reall that interested to be honest,Its just the truth.

I never said it was a bad place but you just can't accept any criticism
Funny how I have been to many cities only once and spent less time and I enjoyed them before i even got there.

Toronto is a city I don't desire to be in.It is absolutely not a place I an enamored with like Montreal or even Quebec City.I only spent a day and a half in Quebec City and I wish to go back.

As far as Atlanta goes I said in those post that Toronto was and "overall better city" so when dod I say Atlanta owned Toronto?I have said it over and over but you just ignore anything positive i have said because of your obvious inferiority complex.

People hate Atlanta.I dont care,Why because I like it and many people do.So what of more people like Toronto better.
Grow up and be happy for you and where you live.No need to make everybody love it as much as you do.

I do prefer Atlanta overr Toronto but so what?You want to insult me and my reason for that?Knock yourself out ,I just dont care.

Did you admitt you have never been to Philly?And I am the one who is mischarecteriszing Toronto?At least I have been to both.
Would you please stop thinking this is about you? Its not I replied to a claim I didn't agree with and posted videos and information for others to see and make their own judgement. If you make a claim that a place has better this or better that (or saying it is boring and sterile - hence in particular my vids showing more than just a boring and sterile place) than people are going to respond in the public realm if they don't agree to balance out the ignorance. So why do you think this is about you.... well ok it used to be but i'm telling you!! I'm so over you now lol.. I gave up on that a long long long time ago.. Its ok.. i'm doing just fine now. I cried for awhile but after a visit to Flash on Church I was quickly over it.

As for Philly I have not been to the city.. This is why I cautiously have chosen where I think Toronto exceeds the place but have also been very open to learning about it and taking in its finer points. I've also been clear where I think Philly beats Toronto that you probably missed in with lack of periphery. I also was very clear that the crime stats were detracting from what makes the place interesting in my view and also was very complimentary on many aspects of the city. I even referred to Philadelphia as great so I think it is clear that I am not a Philly basher in the least and highly complimentary.. it is abundantly more appealing to me for architecture, urbanity and history than say a city like Atlanta for example. I can definately see myself visiting Philly (I've been to Penns a few times - Gettysberg and Pittsburgh for instance and loved Gettysberg!). Anyway, with some more careful research on where to go and where to not go for personal preservation I will be going to Philly. I can't see myself going to Atlanta now - especially since Toronto has an Aquarium...

Last edited by fusion2; 05-18-2014 at 11:02 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Great photo of the Philadelphia skyline showcasing it's urbanity

Old 05-18-2014, 10:58 PM

^^

Nice Pic Summersm....Good claims can be made for both Philly and Toronto being very urban cities. It can get silly in here about which one is better this and better that, but I can clearly see that Philly is more than just crime statistics. Both cities are going to have their own styles, architecture and history which is a good thing because two cities exactly alike would be pretty boring and weird actually..

Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 PM

111 posts, read 166,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philly has a lower crime rate than Atlanta bud. If I'm not mistaken, Philly also had a lower crime rate than Chicago last year. If not lower, than certainly very similar stats. There are plenty of major U.S. cities with higher crime rates than Philly: Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, etc.
This is not exactly true. Philadelphia has a higher rates of murders, rapes and robberies (per capita), than Atlanta and Miami. I'm sure the other cities you mention are worse, those are not cities you want to compared to.

Quote:
We don't "limit ourselves to very specific areas of town." We limit ourselves FROM very specific areas of town.
TO or FROM... same thing at the end of the day.

Quote:
Lol again, we're not limiting ourselves to a "few safe parts of town." About 30% of the neighborhoods in Philly are dangerous. The rest are great or just fine.
This is FALSE. You are downplaying crime in Philly. Crime is peppered all around the city, with some "safer" neighborhoods.

Quote:
Green= safe
Orange= gentrifying/changing
Red= dangerous

^^There ya go. Full break down of Philadelphia and it's neighborhoods.

Thank you for giving us YOUR assessment of safe neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean its true. And, "safe" is relative. If you are accustomed to living in a dangerous city, your perception of safe is likely different than someone from Toronto.

Actual crime incident reports are more accurate, as you can see it is widespread all throughout the city (with some areas more than others).

See below.
http://www.spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphia
(You can see incidents peppered all throughout the city in the last few days.)

Quote:
A "few city blocks"? Hahaha you're just too funny and still clearly talking out of your ass. You seem to have 1990 Philadelphia stuck in your mind and painting as the same city. In fact, you're painting the entire city with a very very broad brush.
Yes, a "few city blocks" because the safer neighborhoods are in very close proximity to unsafe ones. That is not an assessment of 1990 Philadelphia. It is still true today.

Quote:
Your views on Philadelphia are 10 years old at least. You seem to really not know much about Philadelphia, and you're painting the city with a very broad brush. The reality is that Philadelphia is undergoing a renaissance. Population is growing again (64,000 since 2006), jobs are moving to the city, new retailers are moving to the city, crime is down (by over 40% since 2007), more and more tourists are coming to the city every year (39 million last year up from 33 million in 2012), there is new construction everywhere, new parks, highrises, etc.

So again, stop talking about something you clearly know nothing about and stop trying to claim you know more than people who ACTUALLY live in Philadelphia. It's just hilarious.
You seem to like arguing points that I never brought up in an effort to beef up a weak argument.
I never claimed the city isn't going through a resurgence. Point to where I said that. I am debating the downplaying and obvious denial of the city's super high crime rate, especially when compared to Toronto.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
^^

Nice Pic Summersm....Good claims can be made for both Philly and Toronto being very urban cities. It can get silly in here about which one is better this and better that, but I can clearly see that Philly is more than just crime statistics. Both cities are going to have their own styles, architecture and history which is a good thing because two cities exactly alike would be pretty boring and weird actually..
Good point. It seems that some people here take any criticism as a personal attack, resorting to arguing against facts in an effort to make their city look better. I would never claim Toronto has better weather than Philly, nor would I claim that crime is an non-issue in Philly even in the safer areas.

Both cities are great in their own way.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:18 PM

273 posts, read 322,817 times
Philly has like 300 murders a year. Toronto has around 50-60 murders per year with 1 million more people.

End of debate.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
Good point. It seems that some people here take any criticism as a personal attack, resorting to arguing against facts in an effort to make their city look better. I would never claim Toronto has better weather than Philly, nor would I claim that crime is an non-issue in Philly.

Both cities are great in their own way.
Sure and when one says a city like Toronto is boring and sterile they are opening themselves wide open to a deluge of counter posts including pics, vids and other details to balance it out because it is generally known to be untrue. I also agree that Philly and other American cities in general need to continually do more to deal with violent crime and exploring the root causes of these things.. I myself would be cautious visiting Philly for this reason and Is the reason I have not without more careful research or even the benefit of visiting with a local. Having said that, I really am convinced that for those who live in the city, they are more than aware of how to get around the place and take advantage of all it has to offer without getting shot at or becoming a violent statistic because they have developed local street smarts and common sense.

For most people in Philly it isn't an issue like it would be for an outsider - especially for us Canadians used to the safety of our cities. Personally though, I wouldn't venture a few blocks away from my place at Sherbourne and Wellesley to in and around Mossington Park or the general Dundas and Sherbourne area at night either. I grew up in Jane and Finch but again - I would walk around areas of Driftwood than walk through them.. I know, I've been robbed at knifepoint once in that area as a teenager.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
This is not exactly true. Philadelphia has a higher rates of murders, rapes and robberies (per capita), than Atlanta and Miami. I'm sure the other cities you mention are worse, those are not cities you want to compared to.
You need to brush up on the facts before you post.

Atlanta
Population- 443,775
Total homicides- 84
Murder rate- 18.9 per 100,000
http://www.atlantapd.org/pdf/uniform...02CC93E3C3.pdf

Miami
Population- 414,327
Total homicides- 69
Murder rate- 16.6 per 100,000
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Washington D.C.
Population- 646,449
Total homicides- 104
Murder rate- 16 per 100,000
D.C. homicide rate is up, but violent crime continues to decrease - The Washington Post

Philadelphia
Population- 1,553,165
Total homicides- 264
Murder rate- 15.9 per 100,000
The Year in Murder: 2013 Marks a Historic Low for Many Cities - The Daily Beast

Chicago
Population- 2,714,856
Total homicides- 412
Murder rate- 15 per 100,000

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2014 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
^^

Thanks! Agreed! It's obvious that Toronto has more highrises/skyscrapers but they both have great urbanity no doubt. Toronto seems to have more skyscrapers but Philadelphia seems to have more lowrise/rowhome urbanity for a longer stretch.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
You need to brush up on the facts before you post.

Atlanta
Population- 443,775
Total homicides- 84
Murder rate- 18.9 per 100,000
http://www.atlantapd.org/pdf/uniform...02CC93E3C3.pdf

Miami
Population- 414,327
Total homicides- 69
Murder rate- 16.6 per 100,000
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Washington D.C.
Population- 646,449
Total homicides- 104
Murder rate- 16 per 100,000
D.C. homicide rate is up, but violent crime continues to decrease - The Washington Post

Philadelphia
Population- 1,553,165
Total homicides- 264
Murder rate- 15.9 per 100,000

Chicago
Population- 2,714,856
Total homicides- 412
Murder rate- 15 per 100,000
Ok, I was looking at 2012 stats for the murders. In that year, it was higher than Atlanta, Miami, Chicago and DC. It is good to see that murder rates dropped in 2013, but still very high. But those are not the only stats to contend with. What about rapes and robberies? And what about everything else I pointed out?

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2014 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City