Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:16 AM

111 posts, read 167,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Great post. I wonder why the delusional trolls don't respond to this?
Hopefully you didnt mean that I was one of the delusional troll, but I did respond to him. 2012 stats were completely different, with Philly topping all of those cities. Even the 2013 are nothing to boast about. Those numbers are BAD.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes but you act like TO is the only city that certain groups can be comfortable in .Cities in North America are more diverse than anywhere in the world.Toronto is not unique in this regard at all. more than many but not THE only one.
You guys are acting like Toronto is the only place to be for diversity.

Homogeneous means the same or similar kind.Name homogeneous city in North America because i can't think of one.
People flock to TO mainly for opportunity.The stay because there is a good quality of life.

Opportunity happens because Canada is easy to get in and that is a plus for Canada.They have access to a wider international talent pool that is helping Canada catch up to the US which is ridiculously too strict.
False.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Exactly. Philadelphia is certainly not cheap. Is it cheaper than coastal cities? Of Course, because Philadelphia is not a coastal city, however it is certainly more expensive than anything in the Midwest or South with the only exceptions being Chicago and Miami which are similar in affordability to Philly. NYC is NYC, it is expensive for a reason. Boston is a coastal city, so naturally property values will be higher. Washington DC is the capital of the United States, it is way more landlocked than Philadelphia, and Washington D.C. also has a strict height limit which helps to raise property values because you cannot build tall to relieve the demand.. Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle are all coastal cities again, which is why they're expensive.

I mean I know people are stupid but it's amazing just how many stupid people there are in this country.

Also, it would be funny to watch any of these guys talking this s**t to someone in Philly. They're teeth would be laying on the street.
I get a kick out of the lower Cost of Living insults, like a lower cost of living is a bad thing. I live in a beautiful spacious custom built home with an outdoor pool in the shadows of Valley Forge National Park.Yet I have colleagues in other cities asking why I live in Philadelphia. Meanwhile they spent more money on their 60 yr old 3 BR cape cod or row home to live in a so so town close to " Boston,DC or NY". Its unbelievable.

I'm not moron guys. You are.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:20 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Yes but you act like TO is the only city that certain groups can be comfortable in .Cities in North America are more diverse than anywhere in the world.Toronto is not unique in this regard at all. more than many but not THE only one.
You guys are acting like Toronto is the only place to be for diversity.

Homogeneous means the same or similar kind.Name homogeneous city in North America because i can't think of one.
People flock to TO mainly for opportunity.The stay because there is a good quality of life.

Opportunity happens because Canada is easy to get in and that is a plus for Canada.They have access to a wider international talent pool that is helping Canada catch up to the US which is ridiculously too strict.
No it isn't the 'only' city but if you understood the city you wouldn't be posting this because you would have had the experience walking its streets to understand that the observation of hyper diversity and acceptance of difference is a hallmark of it and very few places do that like Toronto. Its just part of the culture. There is less expectation of assimilation and less expectation of shedding past roots for a more homogenous culture (notice I said more homogenous). Why do you think Toronto has grown as a city relative to Montreal, people fled because of that intense protection of a 'unique' culture. It is their right but places are about people and the more diverse and varied people with different experiences and cultures come into a place the more it grows and not just in business but in the arts and culture. When Dennis Coderre, the Mayor of Montreal says the only reason Toronto has a nightlife is because a half million people there are from Montreal - well an obvious exaggeration of things but even he is admitting concern to the fact that people are leaving it for places like Toronto and that is never a good thing. It is a good thing for the city people are flocking to! They don't flock to or contribute to a boring or sterile place. The people are making it a dynamic and growing one.

You are trying to make this black or white here and life doesn't work like that but on the spectrum of diversity and a place that is accepting of that in all its forms Toronto is more so on the side that embraces and encourages diversity. To deny this is ultimately to not understand the place which you don't. You're trying to turn its biggest strength into a weakness and from my vantage point it isn't working well for you. If you prefer visiting a place with one or two or three common themes than by all means Toronto isn't a good place to visit.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Great post. I wonder why the delusional trolls don't respond to this?
If I recall, lebleu did respond and asked to see overall crime statistics. Not just homicide figures from two years ago.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:22 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
There isn't a major difference between 67 and 70, but at the end of the day Philadelphia just doesn't have better overall public transit than the cities mentioned before. That's the point being made.

In addition, the gap is expected to widen as Toronto, Washington and SF all have major public transportation projects underway while Philly is just standing there watching.
Again, because SEPTA is severely underfunded and all those other transit agencies receive $1 billion+ a year in findding. Right now SEPTA is basically in a state repair before they can expand.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:27 AM

111 posts, read 167,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Gotta love the ignorance coming from a small town full of geeks. Boston hurling insults at an uber-urban city like Philadelphia, unbelievable .

Ive explained this countless times. The reason Philadlephia is cheaper in comparison to NYC-Bos-DC..

Geography- Philadlephia is landlocked.Surrounded 360 degrees by gorgeous livable nature. Lots of choices where to live where to work etc etc..

NYC + Boston are coastal cities meaning 1/2 of their land area is in the Atlantic Ocean. Real estate and COL rises substantially .Systematically Prices soar.Housing soars,office space,paychecks,the price of milk, a bottle of beer. They all soar.

Then you have to add the economic/business anomalies of Manhattan and DC which skew statistics even further.

Philadelphia is doing fine. From an urban standpoint its #3 in the USA behind Manhattan and Chicago.

As far as Toronto vs Philly? Toronto is the 19 year old Lindsay Lohan . Fresh faced, looks great at the surface but is there really anything there? Can you can compare Toronto to a classic USA city with 400 years of history and infrastructure like Philadelphia has ? Of course not.
This has to be a joke. Philly is cheaper because its the least desirable out of the 4 (Boston, DC, Philly and NYC). That is all folks.

The Lindsay Lohan metaphor is hilarious. If Toronto is a 19 year old Lindsay Lohan, Philly is the Lindsay Lohan of today, bailing out rehab every week and trying to make a comeback.

Toronto is expensive because it is extremely desirable. Highly skilled and desirable immigrants are moving there in droves. While Philly is the poster child of a stagnant U.S. with a dying middle class and increasing social tension, Toronto is the face of a prosperous Canada, with a stable and healthy middle class.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:31 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
You nhave brought up Atlanta and when you are comparing cities you bring up other subject to show how they the city being discussed measures up.Sorry you get your feeling hurt because so many people go to Montreal before they ever go to Toronto.that exactly how you sound.
I don't know why you think my feelings are hurt.. How can you get that impression over the internet I think my posts make it very clear i'm solidly comfortable with the city of Toronto - its strengths and weaknesses - feelings hurt lol this is city vs city this isn't defending personal skin in the game. I told you I could really care less if you or people who are not interested in coming to Toronto come here or not. It will attract the people it will attract and it just so happens it attracts many and doesn't need mine or your help really. The only reason you're getting nasty is because I was taking shots at your beloved Atlanta.

Any stats to base or strengthen your argument that Montreal gets more visitors to it than Toronto? It'll be hard for you because I know the answer. Toronto gets more overall visitors, more International visitors from overseas and more visitors from the U.S than Montreal does and has been for many many years.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
If I recall, lebleu did respond and asked to see overall crime statistics. Not just homicide figures from two years ago.
Those crime stats were actually form last year.

Here is 2012 numbers. 2013 has not been posted yet where Philadelphia saw a 30% drop in crime across the board.

For overall violent crimes, Washington D.C., Atlanta and Miami were higher than Philadelphia even in 2012.

For overall property crimes, many cities ranked above Philadelphia including Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Houston, San Francisco, Washington D.C., Dallas, Chicago, Phoenix and Denver.

All stats for 2012 are here.
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember crime also dropped substantially in 2013 in Philadelphia and is down again in 2014.

You can find up to date crime statistics for Philadelphia here, since a lot of you posters seem so infatuated with it:
Crime Maps & Stats | Philadelphia Police Department

Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Again, because SEPTA is severely underfunded and all those other transit agencies receive $1 billion+ a year in findding. Right now SEPTA is basically in a state repair before they can expand.
Toronto is underfunded as well. It might even be the most underfunded transit system in North America, hence why its the most expensive to ride.

Most of the money for projects underway comes from the fare collection box. The gov didn't really give money to Toronto's TTC for any of these projects.

I don't think Philly should be using that as an excuse, really.

Torontonians might complain about the fares at times and how high they can be, but in return there is a lot of good has came from that and is to come within the next few years including expansions, new lines, new trains, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City