Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Honestly outside the U.S and Canada do you really think the Liberty Bell is all that famous? I think you'd get a lot of blank stares in Thailand if you spoke about Philly and the liberty bell. As I've mentioned as well, Philly has the benefits of the American cultural juggernaut. Also, if you look at Toronto Pearson's list of International Carriers - it is absolutely astounding how many serve Toronto.

Toronto Pearson International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philadelphia International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do a cross comparison of number of different international carriers to both airports above. Also look at number of International travellers doing O/D activity at each.
Toronto is THE city in Canada. Obviously it is going to have more carriers than Philadelphia, the 5th largest US city and the 7th largest MSA. On top of that, Philadelphia is also remarkabley close to Newark International, which PHL competes with directly. A lot of people in the area use Newark International.

And outside of the US, yes, I would say the Liberty bell is recognizable. A lot of people know US history all around the world. Philadelphia is where the US was created. US Constitution, deceleration of independence, Civil War, American Revolution, Betsy Ross and the sewing of the first US flag, the first and second continental congress: these are all things associated with Philadelphia.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Toronto is THE city in Canada. Obviously it is going to have more carriers than Philadelphia, the 5th largest US city and the 7th largest MSA. On top of that, Philadelphia is also remarkabley close to Newark International, which PHL competes with directly. A lot of people in the area use Newark International.
Actually as much as I'd like to say Toronto is THE city in Canada I have to give credit to Montreal. Toronto is Canada's largest and in probably more ways than Montreal the premier city but Montreal holds its own against almost any city. Toronto for instance doesn't have an Old Montreal equivalent. Plus as much as it pains me to say, Montreal has a better Gay Villiage lol.. Besides, Toronto is a Premier city of a country that isn't as powerful or influential as the United States so its harder for Toronto to compete against the NYC's, Paris' and London's of the world. For a country with 35 million Toronto does a good job though. Montreal as well.. Vancouver - well its pretty

Sure EWR and JFK eat away at Philly's lunch but I still think there's a bit more to it than just that when comparing Philly to Toronto as International destinations.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-19-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 01:04 PM

111 posts, read 166,976 times
Quote:
I think fusion2's point is that Toronto is well known around the world based on the number of international flights there. Even though Toronto is THE city in Canada, airlines wouldn't fly those routes if there weren't a good number of people going there.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
And outside of the US, yes, I would say the Liberty bell is recognizable. A lot of people know US history all around the world. Philadelphia is where the US was created. US Constitution, deceleration of independence, Civil War, American Revolution, Betsy Ross and the sewing of the first US flag, the first and second continental congress: these are all things associated with Philadelphia.
I'm sorry but many American kids don't even know, or care about, U.S. history, much less your average foreigner. Certainly, Philadelphia is an important city for those who care about U.S. history, but you won't see millions of foreigners flocking there to see the liberty bell. They rather go to tourist places like Times Square.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
I think fusion2's point is that Toronto is well known around the world based on the number of international flights there. Even though Toronto is THE city in Canada, airlines wouldn't fly those routes if there weren't a good number of people going there.
Yeah that is why I said Originating and Departing pax numbers for the International Carriers at Pearson still post impressive numbers (as opposed to just those in transit going somewhere else). Atlanta for instance is the busiest airport in the world but that is because it is probably the biggest transiting airport instead of O/D. The reasons they come to T.O are varied - visiting family, business but there are also a lot of tourists and international students coming and going. T.O is adding another big Int Carrier at the end of June - China Eastern Airlines. The number of back and forth flights from Toronto to China is becoming staggering.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-19-2014 at 01:20 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but many American kids don't even know, or care about, U.S. history, much less your average foreigner. Certainly, Philadelphia is an important city for those who care about U.S. history, but you won't see millions of foreigners flocking there to see the liberty bell. They rather go to tourist places like Times Square.
Philly certainly was THE city in the U.S in 1776.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:19 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Philly certainly was THE city in the U.S in 1776.
True. But today, aint nobody checking for the Liberty Bell lol. Outside the U.S. the Bell is barely even known.
Name recognition, Id say Toronto is more well known around the world than Philly is today, even with the extensive history that Philly advantage has.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
True. But today, aint nobody checking for the Liberty Bell lol. Outside the U.S. the Bell is barely even known.
Name recognition, Id say Toronto is more well known around the world than Philly is today, even with the extensive history that Philly advantage has.
I've done all the famous "historical" tourism in Boston, Philly and DC, numerous times, and I've rarely seen any foreigners. DC had a bit more, and the only exception was the front of the White House. These are mostly frequented by fellow American visitors.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:29 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
I'm sure I could find this, but I am lazy.

Does anyone have any numbers as to how many International students arrive in both cities each year? Something that I have noticed from traveling across the world, is one of the first things people in other countries speak about when it comes to other cities is Higher Education. UofT, PENN, York, Drexel, etc...would seem to be an International draw for people?

Old 05-19-2014, 01:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
actually the liberty bell is very well visited by foreign tourists, more american tourists though

On the airports would imagine that Toronto is busier, Philly is a hub and a large not huge international presence. One thing to remember with the Toronto airport is that a lot of flights will be international to US.

Probably a fairer way to compare would be non US/Canadian travel for both - though am pretty sure Toronot would win pretty handily on Int'l travel. Also people from Philly do routinely use EWR and JFK especially for Int'l flights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City