Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Weather View Post
Here in Boston we're too sophisticated to make empty threats like this because someone upset us on an message blog. Philly is still a working class town, you sound working class making physical threats when you can't win arguments. This explains why Philly has bad crime because people like you that physically hurt others when someone says something bad about your city. SMH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lPfFEEkwq4

Old 05-19-2014, 02:52 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Philly is less desirable than Boston, DC, NYC. It's cheaper because there's more poverty depressed areas with failing public schools and high crime. Property values depreciate when you have that trifecta of problems and Philly is very cheap. $200k is half the median price here in Boston at $400k but we have a more desirable city.

Philly's a joke to Boston. I used to live in the LA area and the IE is even more expensive than Philly and it's a dump FYI.

What? You're all over the place. I doubt you have ever been to Philadelphia-many people from Boston seem to have outlandishly absurd opinions of Philly despite never being here. The Boston, NYC and DC public schools are also notoriously terrible with glimmers of hope-same as Philly.

DC had a worse murder rate than Philly last year and until recently has consistently had worse crime. The outerboroughs in NYC have similar poverty rates to Philly. Manhattan is actually at 20% in poverty itself and remember this is a national figure so it doesn't account for the crazy cost of living. The Bronx is the poorest County in the US with a population over 1M and it is home to the poorest US Congressional District.

Philly is more affordable because it's not filled to the brim with followers and transplants wishing to live in a "name-brand city". It is also 3 times the size of Boston and DC-which means more of everything-poverty, middle class, high income. If you look at Center City and neighborhoods that surround it, it is really not that "affordable" anymore.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:59 PM

354 posts, read 681,726 times
I think the working class character is what makes Philly great, especially when many of other cities have since moved away from that. I think gentrification is good until people can't afford to live there anymore.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:05 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Philly a nice city that offers a lot but it's not as desirable as Boston, NYC, Toronto, etc. The gods of supply and demand have spoken! Philly is a bigger city than DC and Boston, there aren't ghettos around these cities like Wilmington, Camden, Chester, Trenton, Reading, etc so the property values don't fall like they do around Philly. The Bronx is a dump but NYC has improved a lot, cities like Newark, Patterson, JC, etc are gentrifying and becoming desirable
I thought Trenton was apart of the NYC Metro

Believe what you will, Philadelphia will continue to be my favorite city in the US.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
This is not exactly true. Philadelphia has a higher rates of murders, rapes and robberies (per capita), than Atlanta and Miami. I'm sure the other cities you mention are worse, those are not cities you want to compared to.

TO or FROM... same thing at the end of the day.

This is FALSE. You are downplaying crime in Philly. Crime is peppered all around the city, with some "safer" neighborhoods.

Thank you for giving us YOUR assessment of safe neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean its true. And, "safe" is relative. If you are accustomed to living in a dangerous city, your perception of safe is likely different than someone from Toronto.

Actual crime incident reports are more accurate, as you can see it is widespread all throughout the city (with some areas more than others).

See below.
http://www.spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphia
(You can see incidents peppered all throughout the city in the last few days.)

Yes, a "few city blocks" because the safer neighborhoods are in very close proximity to unsafe ones. That is not an assessment of 1990 Philadelphia. It is still true today.

You seem to like arguing points that I never brought up in an effort to beef up a weak argument.
I never claimed the city isn't going through a resurgence. Point to where I said that. I am debating the downplaying and obvious denial of the city's super high crime rate, especially when compared to Toronto.

I will relate a story my boss told me this morning. His son is mid 20's, and was meeting a couple other guys that he went to Villanova with. They were meeting at a bar in Northern Liberties. Two showed up and the other one did not (believe this was Sat night). Turns out the third friend was held up at gunpoint a block or so from the bar. He wasn't hurt, but they took everything on him.

Northern Liberties is considered a nice hood or at least a desirable hood. Crime is all over the place in Philly and one never knows when you can be a victim.

Philly boosters and homers want everyone to believe otherwise. Truth is, the bad ghetto areas surround the downtown, unlike other cities. The folks from these poor areas have nothing to do so they head into town to roam around and see what they can get into.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:09 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Look at the end of the day they are both great places (as are all places above 5 million between United States and Canada, in my opinion), I mean, I hate to push the obvious but these aren't exactly small cities. They constitute populations from 7-9 million people each in proximate area, respectively. Clearly both have done much right to retain their population and grow over the years.

Crush this beef. The wars waged between big cities are nonsensical, in my opinion, because they're all so populated for different reasons that people should respect and admire about the other. Possibly learn from and enhance things adopted from other places, open mindedness.

Just my two cents.

I'm in Greater Detroit right now (in the suburbs between Ann Arbor and the city of Detroit) and will be leaving for Toronto in three hours. Looking mad forward to this Chicago-Detroit-Toronto trip, especially at the chance of seeing Toronto after more than 7-8 years, I bet it's changed dramatically.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
It's their not they're. You can thank me for correcting your flaws.

Here in Boston we're too sophisticated to make empty threats like this because someone upset us on a message blog. Philly is still a working class town, you sound working class making physical threats when you can't win arguments. This explains why Philly has bad crime because people like you that physically hurt others when someone says something bad about your city. SMH
Haha right but people like you who talk s**t and are to coward to back it up. You're SO MUCH BETTER! Wow you're so much better than us because you live in Boston. Snob. Cower away in the corner and hide when someone confronts them about their jabbing jaw. Typical Bostonian.

And I GUARANTEE I make more money then you.

Now I will go back to ignoring you. Have a nice day.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:13 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I will relate a story my boss told me this morning. His son is mid 20's, and was meeting a couple other guys that he went to Villanova with. They were meeting at a bar in Northern Liberties. Two showed up and the other one did not (believe this was Sat night). Turns out the third friend was held up at gunpoint a block or so from the bar. He wasn't hurt, but they took everything on him.

Northern Liberties is considered a nice hood or at least a desirable hood. Crime is all over the place in Philly and one never knows when you can be a victim.

Philly boosters and homers want everyone to believe otherwise. Truth is, the bad ghetto areas surround the downtown, unlike other cities. The folks from these poor areas have nothing to do so they head into town to roam around and see what they can get into.
Midtown Manhattan is considered a "desirable hood" as well, but that didn't stop a guy from holding up my cousin at knife point and taking everything he had. My point is, this is the city, not the suburbs, and even the best of neighborhoods are prone to crime. This isn't anything that affects just Philadelphia, but every city in the world.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
It's their not they're. You can thank me for correcting your flaws.

Here in Boston we're too sophisticated to make empty threats like this because someone upset us on a message blog. Philly is still a working class town, you sound working class making physical threats when you can't win arguments. This explains why Philly has bad crime because people like you that physically hurt others when someone says something bad about your city. SMH
He did not say HE would physically harm you.Its just a fact that people get really loud on the computer because they would never say certain things in real life.

It a cowardice way to be and just downright unethical.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Midtown Manhattan is considered a "desirable hood" as well, but that didn't stop a guy from holding up my cousin at knife point and taking everything he had. My point is, this is the city, not the suburbs, and even the best of neighborhoods are prone to crime. This isn't anything that affects just Philadelphia, but every city in the world.
I had friend who was robbed twice in Manhattan at gunpoint. One time in the Upper East Side! These are extremely wealthy and highly desirable areas. I also had a friend who was robbed in Los Angeles, then had his house broken into, and his friend had his car stolen. In West Hollywood! Again highly desirable area of LA. We can sit here all day and tell stories of crimes from friends of friends. You're just a sensationalist. Are you a Philly.com or a Fox News writer/editor by any chance? Wouldn't be surprised. I bet Fox News is your favorite News station isn't it? They fit you perfectly with your fear the world mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City