Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM

111 posts, read 166,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The Liberty Bell isn't a foreign tourist attraction? I was in Independence Park on a Friday a couple weeks ago and a sizable minority of the people waiting in line to see the Liberty Bell were Chinese and Korean tourists. Granted it does not have the tourist allure of Times Square, Rockefeller Center, or the Empire State Building, but New York just blows every other city in the world out of the water and isn't a fair comparison.
I don't think it is. The reality is that foreign tourists are not heading to Philly from Newark when NYC is only 20 minutes from there. There is some fringe foreign tourism heading from NYC to Philly, but it is not significant. The Asian tourists you saw were probably part of a bus tour from NYC. These bus tours across the Northeast are very popular among Asians in NYC. Popular destinations are DC, Boston, Philly and Niagara Falls. It is likely that they were American residents.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:20 PM

354 posts, read 681,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Whoa-nice pics!
They are it is very easy to find nice pictures for both cities! I think they are both quite underrated!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:25 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
I think Rocky is most famous! Benjamin Franklin and even Philly Cheese steak is not a known "Philly" icon here in Sweden. We do have the latter in our subway restaurant though, even though it's just call Cheese steak I believe.

Not much from Toronto either, except for some of our more well known ice hockey players who played for the Maple Leafs in the past, and that Rob Ford fella lol.
Well I know the Brits and French tend to know these sites from my experences.And yes EVERYBODY knows who Rob Ford is now!lol

Old 05-19-2014, 02:28 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
I don't think it is. The reality is that foreign tourists are not heading to Philly from Newark when NYC is only 20 minutes from there. There is some fringe foreign tourism heading from NYC to Philly, but it is not significant. The Asian tourists you saw were probably part of a bus tour from NYC. These bus tours across the Northeast are very popular among Asians in NYC. Popular destinations are DC, Boston, Philly and Niagara Falls. It is likely that they were American residents.
Here you go again. Of course NYC is going to blow Philadelphia out of the water when it comes to tourism. It is the capital of the world! The only other cities that could maybe hold a candle to it are London, Paris, and Tokyo. To compare Philadelphia tourism to New York tourism is just blatantly unfair, but your hatred of this city doesn't stop you. And yes, maybe a lot of them were coming from NYC, but they still came as tourists to Philadelphia for at least a day because there is stuff worth seeing here.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
You gave out Degrassi.

Some of us Americans who are fans of Primeval were aware that one of the seasons switched over to Vancouver from London.

We're aware of music artists such as Drake, Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen, Avril Lavigne, Kardinal Offishell, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, Melanie Fiona, The Weeknd, Tamia, etc.

There were times when they made references of Canada or their hometown in their music.
Yes, the Primeval spinoff is one example. Canadians are well represented in the music scene, though many times people only know that they are from there and nothing more.

As the swedish poster pointed out, they know Philly for Rocky. People grow up familiar with American cities because they are always featured on films and TV shows.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Here you go again. Of course NYC is going to blow Philadelphia out of the water when it comes to tourism. It is the capital of the world! The only other cities that could maybe hold a candle to it are London, Paris, and Tokyo. To compare Philadelphia tourism to New York tourism is just blatantly unfair, but your hatred of this city doesn't stop you. And yes, maybe a lot of them were coming from NYC, but they still came as tourists to Philadelphia for at least a day because there is stuff worth seeing here.
Huh? What exactly are you arguing? I'm not comparing Philly tourism to NYC tourism. All I am saying is that NYC sucks up all of the possible foreign tourism in the region. Why would a foreign tourist go anywhere else other than NYC if they are coming to the Northeast? Lets be real! Hence the reason why there aren't many foreign tourists in those cities. The other cities in the region only get fringe tourism from those visiting NYC. I didn't say Philly wasn't worth visiting. If anything, I'm defending Philly by attributing the lack of foreign tourist to NYC, not any undesirability of Philadelphia itself. Why are you so defensive?

Old 05-19-2014, 02:39 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,377 times
Seems like a lot of posters on here like to throw rocks and hide their hands.

By the way philly rocks cause I say it does.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
What is the difference of Transborder and International in this link?

http://www.torontopearson.com/upload...c_Feb_2011.pdf

in case the above does not work can be located here as well

Airport statistics and report

Here is the census data on International arrival and PHL at about 3.7 Million

Travel and Tourism - The 2012 Statistical Abstract - U.S. Census Bureau

Not saying PHL has more just trying to understand the volumes here

Old 05-19-2014, 02:43 PM

354 posts, read 681,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What is the difference of Transborder and International in this link?

http://www.torontopearson.com/upload...c_Feb_2011.pdf

in case the above does not work can be located here as well

Airport statistics and report

Here is the census data on International arrival and PHL at about 3.7 Million

Travel and Tourism - The 2012 Statistical Abstract - U.S. Census Bureau

Not saying PHL has more just trying to understand the volumes here
It seems like by transborder they mean USA traffic.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
It seems like by transborder they mean USA traffic.
that is what I was thinking but not sure - so excluding US/Canadian flights from both they are very likely close - actually PHL may have more Int'l volume - not sure on O&D though

again I am really not all that interested in a pissing match but think these two cities match up in many ways more closely than people might first assume.

Personally I don't feel the need to have a "winner" per se but see a lot crap being thrust around here in all directions.

Also on the Liberty Bell - it is one of the most used symbols in people's fights for freedom world wide

I like both cities so not sure the rub either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City