Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities would you rather live in as a college student?
SF/Bay Area 13 14.44%
Chicago 19 21.11%
New York 15 16.67%
Boston 21 23.33%
Other (Please Specify) 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:33 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times

Advertisements

Nyc

Then move to San Fran after college

End thread/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:05 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
New York. I did a few years of school here and I laugh when people ***** and moan about the cost of living. There is SO much stuff to do in NYC that is either free or cheap it's ridiculous. Low cost entertainment abounds. So does low cost food and clothing -- if you take the time to find those things. All the people I've know who were in school then say same thing: We were all broke, but what a great time we had!

If all you do is think about Broadway shows, night clubs in the Meatpacking District, and restaurants in Soho, then yes, its far more expensive than other places. But most students will only do that sort of thing maybe once a year, if that often.

And as far as housing, I don't think student digs (outside of dorms) would be a lot more expensive than Boston, San Fran, or LA, especially outside of Manhattan. Only Chitown would be noticably cheaper.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
New York. I did a few years of school here and I laugh when people ***** and moan about the cost of living. There is SO much stuff to do in NYC that is either free or cheap it's ridiculous. Low cost entertainment abounds. So does low cost food and clothing -- if you take the time to find those things. All the people I've know who were in school then say same thing: We were all broke, but what a great time we had!

If all you do is think about Broadway shows, night clubs in the Meatpacking District, and restaurants in Soho, then yes, its far more expensive than other places. But most students will only do that sort of thing maybe once a year, if that often.

And as far as housing, I don't think student digs (outside of dorms) would be a lot more expensive than Boston, San Fran, or LA, especially outside of Manhattan. Only Chitown would be noticably cheaper.
Exactly. And some schools in and around NYC even offer discounted show tickets so students can go for much less, plus there's student rush. NYC is expensive but if you're there in college, and live on campus, you likely have some sort of meal plan and housing. No different than going to school anywhere else.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Exactly. And some schools in and around NYC even offer discounted show tickets so students can go for much less, plus there's student rush. NYC is expensive but if you're there in college, and live on campus, you likely have some sort of meal plan and housing. No different than going to school anywhere else.
I just think Boston is a better for going to school. Better schools, more manageable city and I think a better environment for students imo.

While NYC offers the most things to do at the same time it can actually cause a distraction. I know I would hate for example being in NYC for law school or architecture school. Extremely rigourous studies and you really can't enjoy the city because your coursework is so intense. It's almost a slap in the face. I remember in architecture school, I had to put in more hours than a full time job 40+, and also worked part time. Luckily I was in a small college town so wasnt' missing much. But if that was what I had to deal with in NYC and knew that I couldn't go out and enjoy the city to the fullest extent, it would almost be like a slap in the face day in and day out, knowing that I am living in a city that I can't really enjoy.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Austin

Party central.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Austin

Party central.
Austin is overrated. You can have more fun out in the night in NYC and Chicago in college easily over Austin. UT might be a party school, but NYC and Chicago are WAY more party/bar/drinking cities than Austin will ever be.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Austin is overrated. You can have more fun out in the night in NYC and Chicago in college easily over Austin. UT might be a party school, but NYC and Chicago are WAY more party/bar/drinking cities than Austin will ever be.
Those aren't considered college towns. They are major cities with "pockets" of college hang outs.

You can't go anywhere in Austin without being around college students. The population is so young & diverse. Austin is pro small local business NYC & Chicago are greedy corporate cities.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Those aren't considered college towns. They are major cities with "pockets" of college hang outs.

You can't go anywhere in Austin without being around college students. The population is so young & diverse. Austin is pro small local business NYC & Chicago are greedy corporate cities.
When did I say they were college towns?! You said party central, and I was just saying that NYC and Chicago offer way more in that regard than Austin.

Austin is no longer a college town. It's a city with 800K + residents. While UT certainly is a significant part of the city, the city doesn't not revolve around UT.

Anyway I forgot you are a Texas booster. No point in reasoning with you. Have a good weekend!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:13 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I would like to hear some input on this.
If the university doesn't keep its students in dorms all 4 years, I'd say Chicago. Chicago's median apartment price is lower than all the other cities listed, which will save you money in the long run. There's also still plenty to do, and the nightlife is great.

The universities are all integrated into the city's public transit system as well, although some more so than others, meaning they're right next to an L stop rather than a bus top. Either way, you would be able to get around the city with little problem, especially if downtown is your destination.

Also, the city has plenty of good schools to pick from. You'll have your top tier universities to pick from in addition to some very well regarded midrange schools. The selection may not be as great as a place like Boston, which is known for its universities, but it's no slouch either.

Finally, assuming you opened this thread for your own benefit, best of luck picking a city/school!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 PM

349 posts, read 573,136 times
^ The U of Chicago's location isn't the best though.

I'm glad this hasn't turned into a "What city has more prestigious schools" thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City