Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 AM

89 posts, read 97,036 times

Advertisements

I have been to dallas and loved the culture and feel of the city. There was no hip hop vibe or culture when I went there.
Bigstick has private messaged me a few times here at first his agenda is to sell atlanta. I looked into it and was quickly put off by the high crime, the culture, the decreasing house prices and the poor race relations, weaker job market compared to dallas. In fairness Atlanta's weather beat dallas weather.
I will suit dallas or wherever I move to as I adjust and im dynamic and a reasonable person. But in my opinion there is not much difference to moving to detroit Cleveland or baltimore or st louis to atlanta. All 5 are the most dangerous cities and the only difference is atlanta is warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:53 AM

254 posts, read 419,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Let's go by citydata numbers, the small portion of East Point Atlanta where you get those high crime rate reports: 755 people...

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...a-Georgia.html

Okay, now let's look at the suburbs..Almost all the suburbs are in the range of 50-199 in terms of crime rate! I mean, come on!

Now, let's look at Flint, Michigan, the most dangerous city in America. 1,041 people die in Flint Michigan every year.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Michigan.html

Compared to Flint, Atlanta is very safe. Plus, people don't reccomend the east point aera. Many people reccomend the suburbs.

The point is those numbers were taken from the slums. The slums. You must not sample half of an aera, you must sample a whole aera, and when we look at a WHOLE aera Atlanta is safer than some of the most dangerous places on Earth and in America.

I'm re-quoting this again for the clueless London_Knowledge who doesn't know how to decipher statistics.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I'm re-quoting this again for the clueless London_Knowledge who doesn't know how to decipher statistics.
Yes but by that logic detroit is safe compared to flint.
You are stating the obvious about the suburbs no one has ever said they are unsafe. Whatever way you try and sugar coat it you can not get around the fact that atlanta is one of the most dangerous cities in usa based on aggravated assault, murder, violent crime, burglary, property theft. Repeat one of the most dangerous. FACT.
your silly point about the stats being taken from the slums is irrelevant as the whole lists stats will have been taken from the slums of each city then. All youve done here is prove atlanta has worse slums than 98% of the countries cities slums lol!

Old 10-29-2013, 02:49 AM

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Detroit - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes

Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider

The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities: The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - US News & World Report

Oh dear. Atlanta in all 4 of these. Even number 2 in one of them lol. But I guess they only took the stats from the slums in atlanta and not every where else on the list haha.
Oh and dallas no where to be seen on any list...interesting bigstick mutiny and kingjohn

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2013 at 06:27 AM..

Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Wow, I tried to keep up with this thread but it just exploded today! I can't get passed page 17. Im just gonna make a few comments from what I read, lol.

Kathryn, quit using city limits for population count. Sorry for picking on you (cause obviously there have been a number of erroneous stats thrown around) but you surely know how that's a total misrepresentation when discussing larger regions.

Code L, Austin is not a tiny little town, not by any standard.

And I think LondonK's perspective of Atlanta is way off base, and I'm certainly no Atlanta homer. But whatever, it very well could be that Dallas is more suitable. Just wanted to offer myself as one non-local commenter in defense of Atlanta and the skewed portrayal it's receiving.
All I was trying to do was pick a method that was consistent. Please note that I did switch to metro area numbers later in the thread.

As for Atlanta - SHEEZE, can we give it a rest? The OP had questions about Dallas, Charlotte, and Tampa. This thread was never intended to be about Atlanta.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNOJ View Post
CODE LYOKO was V E R Y C L E A R on his opinion of small, medium, large, XL. This is his opinion, no need to change his opinion and Austin is small!
Well, alrighty then. For the record, I didn't ask him to change his personal opinion. He's more than welcome to it, as are you. I'm welcome to mine as well. I don't think a city of 1.8 million people is a "little, tiny town." A little, tiny town is Ruston, Louisiana.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London_knowledge View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Detroit - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes

Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider

The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities: The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - US News & World Report

Oh dear. Atlanta in all 4 of these. Even number 2 in one of them lol. But I guess they only took the stats from the slums in atlanta and not every where else on the list haha.
Oh and dallas no where to be seen on any list...interesting bigstick mutiny and kingjohn
Don't know how many times I can say this, London, you don't know Atlanta as well as I do. There's a large slum in West Atlanta where those stats were taken from. There's an entire metro aera to explore and live in.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2013 at 06:27 AM..

Old 10-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Don't know how many times I can say this, London, you don't know Atlanta as well as I do. There's a large slum in West Atlanta where those stats were taken from. There's an entire metro aera to explore and live in.
The OP isn't interested in living in Atlanta. Get over it. The OP's questions are not about Atlanta. They're about Dallas, Charlotte, and Tampa.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
But how do you know all those other cities are not beautiful apart from the one slum theyve had their data taken from lol?
It cant be one rule for atlanta and one rule for the rest of the cities.
Also show me where where the proof that all four of those studies was taken from that one particular west atlanta slum?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London_knowledge View Post
But how do you know all those other cities are not beautiful apart from the one slum theyve had their data taken from lol?
It cant be one rule for atlanta and one rule for the rest of the cities.
Also show me where where the proof that all four of those studies was taken from that one particular west atlanta slum?
How do I know? One, i've been there, two I've checked the crime rates. You're asking for proof, I've given you proof MULTIPLE TIMES. City-data statistics point to a specific part of Atlanta that's colored in red as a high-crime aera. Outside of that, most of the cities are very low-crime and nearly non-existent of negative statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City