Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 05:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

OMG y'all are still talking about Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:03 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
statistics can sometimes be misleading, especially if 90% of all the crime in a given city happens mostly on one side of town and in some cases two area of the city. like I was watching a football game the other night between st. Louis and seattle. all the stats was stacked against seattle big time and in favore of st.louis, just looking at the stats you would think seattle got blown out but they WON the game. sometime you have to read beyond the numbers, especially in big and large metro areas. you can be in the same city with lots of crime but yet be worlds away from that reality depending on where you live in that city or its suburb. also, there is no perfect place when it comes to crime here or anywhere, no utopia out there.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 AM

89 posts, read 96,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im not saying that at all.However you did not just say the crime is in the top 5-10.You went on about how its worse than in other cities because it is in the top 10.

The crime between many U.S. regardless is not nearly as pervasive as it seems just because of a ranking on a list.Dallas is no more or less safer than Atlanta.

Regardless of where it ranks the chances of you being a victim of crime is not a major difference from most major cities to another accept maybe Minneapolis or Salt Lake City.Why not move those places if you are so concerned about being a victim of crime?

I mean do you really think people (other than you)choose Dallas,Houston or Miami over Atlanta because of the perception of higher crime based on some rankings?

Stats has also shown how the murder rate in Atlanta has gone down every year for at least the past 5 years and in Dallas its gone up by 50%just over from 2011-2012.

Does that mean you want to move to a city(Dallas) where even though the crime is lower than it used to be historically,it is now going up.
That is the question you asked me is it not?"Why move to a city with crime issues?"How does that make sense?

And what race issues in Atlanta have you heard about?Im curious.
Yes I do believe people look into crime before they move somewhere. Anyone smart does.
Proof that dallas murder rate has gone up 50 percent please?
Despite Atlanta's going down as you say its still higher than dallas tho lol. So another redundant point from you.
Eg city 1 last five years murder rate 1 4 87 99 101
City 2 800 750 742 680 650

I will always choose city one

Simple question can you admit atlanta has higher murder rate per 100000 higher violent crime, higher aggravated assault, high burglary than dallas?? Thats all I want to know. If you cant then you a moron who is arguing against facts that have been proven

Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Im sure it was not you but I need to ask: Did you just rep me with a negative comment?I believe it was BigTex(AKA HarrisCo) who is the culprit but your name was listed by it.
No, I didnt. I dont send negative reps to anyone.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
We just have to disagree whether or not its meaningless.Fact is I was not wrong about what I said.

The point I was making is still clear:Atlanta has a very fast growing foreign born population.The economy withstanding,Atlanta probably would be even further along.

The city is attracting people from all over.That is no different than any of the cities the OP is considering.
Thats fair. I didnt mean to take anything away from Atlanta.

As far as your last sentence, I would say it is different. Charlotte and Tampa dont have nearly the international pull that Dallas and Atlanta do when it comes to attracting new residents.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:00 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
statistics can sometimes be misleading, especially if 90% of all the crime in a given city happens mostly on one side of town and in some cases two area of the city. like I was watching a football game the other night between st. Louis and seattle. all the stats was stacked against seattle big time and in favore of st.louis, just looking at the stats you would think seattle got blown out but they WON the game. sometime you have to read beyond the numbers, especially in big and large metro areas. you can be in the same city with lots of crime but yet be worlds away from that reality depending on where you live in that city or its suburb. also, there is no perfect place when it comes to crime here or anywhere, no utopia out there.
Rational people can easily comprehend this. Others? Not so much.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:21 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Rational people can easily comprehend this. Others? Not so much.
Exactly.That is the whole point you,myself and others I were attempting to show.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London_knowledge View Post
Yes I do believe people look into crime before they move somewhere. Anyone smart does.
Proof that dallas murder rate has gone up 50 percent please?
Despite Atlanta's going down as you say its still higher than dallas tho lol. So another redundant point from you.
Eg city 1 last five years murder rate 1 4 87 99 101
City 2 800 750 742 680 650

I will always choose city one

Simple question can you admit atlanta has higher murder rate per 100000 higher violent crime, higher aggravated assault, high burglary than dallas?? Thats all I want to know. If you cant then you a moron who is arguing against facts that have been proven
I have not denied anything.Atlanta does rank as having high crime but as people have tried to explain to you,unless you live in some bad neighborhood then your chances of being a victim of crime is not any higher than any other city.

How is it a redundant point of crime is significantly higher than the year before?
http://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2013...-decades-past/

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/03/25/d...uld-be-lowest/

Yes its smart but it is smarter to be rational in determining how statistics work.You have not been that and its to your detriment not us that have been attempting to help you understand that so you could make an informed decision.

Instead it sounds like you are just not wanting to hear reason or logic.Like I said,for the amount , of people who move to Atlanta if crime was so bad it would affect the way the city is growing by population and investment.

The investment in Atlanta with projects like Atlantic Station,The BeltLine,and the new streetcar being built are some the largest infrastructure projects in North America.
You seem to just want to ignore that.

Like I said,you can go to Dallas and it would not be a bad decision at all but don't act like Atlanta is so much less of a choice.Its just not.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Thats fair. I didnt mean to take anything away from Atlanta.

As far as your last sentence, I would say it is different. Charlotte and Tampa dont have nearly the international pull that Dallas and Atlanta do when it comes to attracting new residents.
Yes.I figured that.I know who it is.He used your name in the rep point.

I know.I just wanted to show the OP how irrational his statements were.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 PM

89 posts, read 96,924 times
Quote:
I have not denied anything.Atlanta does rank as having high crime but as people have tried to explain to you,unless you live in some bad neighborhood then your chances of being a victim of crime is not any higher than any other city.

How is it a redundant point of crime is significantly higher than the year before?
Dallas murders on the rise after 2 decades of declines

Dallas Murder Rate Up 50%, But Yearly Rate Could Be Lowest « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Yes its smart but it is smarter to be rational in determining how statistics work.You have not been that and its to your detriment not us that have been attempting to help you understand that so you could make an informed decision.

Instead it sounds like you are just not wanting to hear reason or logic.Like I said,for the amount , of people who move to Atlanta if crime was so bad it would affect the way the city is growing by population and investment.

The investment in Atlanta with projects like Atlantic Station,The BeltLine,and the new streetcar being built are some the largest infrastructure projects in North America.
You seem to just want to ignore that.

Like I said,you can go to Dallas and it would not be a bad decision at all but don't act like Atlanta is so much less of a choice.Its just not.
So that means that in all the other cities you just have a small chance of crime too? And its just bad neighbourhoods there that are putting them on the list?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City