Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by London_knowledge View Post
So that means that in all the other cities you just have a small chance of crime too? And its just bad neighbourhoods there that are putting them on the list?!

This is America.We have crime everywhere.I lived in England so I know its a different mentality.All I am saying is your chance of crime is not going to be any significantly worse or better no matter what U.S. major city you are in.

Atlanta is not worse than any other city with the exception of cities like Detroit,Camden,and some other cities.I

Im not trying to defendi the crime,I'm not ignoring it.I'm just saying it does not seem realistic or logical based on so much evidence that contradict the stats,that there is room for ample consideration.

As someone who has lived all over the U.S. and the world,I know that until you actually go to a place and talk to people in the area, experience and see how life is for people actually there,its impossible to make a fully informed decision.

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with any of the your options listed.None of the issues except Dallas has a better economy at the moment is that diffeent from the other.

Considering all these cities are in the South,they have very strong similaities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 02:57 AM

89 posts, read 96,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This is America.We have crime everywhere.I lived in England so I know its a different mentality.All I am saying is your chance of crime is not going to be any significantly worse or better no matter what U.S. major city you are in.

Atlanta is not worse than any other city with the exception of cities like Detroit,Camden,and some other cities.I

Im not trying to defendi the crime,I'm not ignoring it.I'm just saying it does not seem realistic or logical based on so much evidence that contradict the stats,that there is room for ample consideration.

As someone who has lived all over the U.S. and the world,I know that until you actually go to a place and talk to people in the area, experience and see how life is for people actually there,its impossible to make a fully informed decision.

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with any of the your options listed.None of the issues except Dallas has a better economy at the moment is that diffeent from the other.

Considering all these cities are in the South,they have very strong similaities.
Why are they no worse than the others then when the levels of crime are higher according to records though. Do they just make the stats up? I agree not all the city will be dangerous but the parts that are dangerous are significantly worse than other cities bad parts. Is that fair to say?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Why are they no worse than the others then when the levels of crime are higher according to records though. Do they just make the stats up? I agree not all the city will be dangerous but the parts that are dangerous are significantly worse than other cities bad parts. Is that fair to say?
Yes but there are valid reasons.One of them is weather.Ever notice how cities in hotter climates tend to be the most dangerous?

Cold weather cities like St.Lake City,Minneapolis,Denver,Pittsburgh.Those cities lack large minority populations that have been traditionally large.

Not always.Sometimes is just the economy.

One reason is also reporting.Some Police departments release to the federal government more than other cities do.

Another reason is marginalization of African Americans and Hispanics.Crime in those communities that tend to be poorer have more crime due to lower education standards and poverty.

Look at L.A. with its historic gang problems.Chicago also.

Black on Black crime is a huge problem not just in Atlanta but in most American cities.Atlanta has a larger than average African American population.
The poverty rate for African Americans is double what is for white in the U.S.

Atlanta has a huge black middle and wealthy class than many cities but also a significant poorer class.In other words,blacks represent everywhere in Atlanta in every class and location.

I can go into any high end store in Atlanta as a black male,and people will not blink like they do in many places in even like NYC.People are used to blacks with money so its just not an issue.
I have never heard of an incident recently of discrimination at some of these high end stores in Atlanta like I have any other cities.

I went in to Roche Boubois and later Ligne Roset helping a friend look for furniture.
Immediately we were helped and there was absolutely no attitude directed toward us two black males.

If you even look in Atlanta high society pages you will find some blacks in those circles.Of course its still very white but you do see wealthy blacks hob -nobbing with the wealthy white movers in shakers.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Yes but there are valid reasons.One of them is weather.Ever notice how cities in hotter climates tend to be the most dangerous?

Cold weather cities like St.Lake City,Minneapolis,Denver,Pittsburgh.Those cities lack large minority populations that have been traditionally large.

Not always.Sometimes is just the economy.

One reason is also reporting.Some Police departments release to the federal government more than other cities do.

Another reason is marginalization of African Americans and Hispanics.Crime in those communities that tend to be poorer have more crime due to lower education standards and poverty.

Look at L.A. with its historic gang problems.Chicago also.

Black on Black crime is a huge problem not just in Atlanta but in most American cities.Atlanta has a larger than average African American population.
The poverty rate for African Americans is double what is for white in the U.S.

Atlanta has a huge black middle and wealthy class than many cities but also a significant poorer class.In other words,blacks represent everywhere in Atlanta in every class and location.

I can go into any high end store in Atlanta as a black male,and people will not blink like they do in many places in even like NYC.People are used to blacks with money so its just not an issue.
I have never heard of an incident recently of discrimination at some of these high end stores in Atlanta like I have any other cities.

I went in to Roche Boubois and later Ligne Roset helping a friend look for furniture.
Immediately we were helped and there was absolutely no attitude directed toward us two black males.

If you even look in Atlanta high society pages you will find some blacks in those circles.Of course its still very white but you do see wealthy blacks hob -nobbing with the wealthy white movers in shakers.
Hmm not sure I agree with the weather statement you made. Detroit, Newark, Philadelphia, Flint, Cleveland etc they are all freezing cities with much higher crime than warmer cities such as san diego, san antonio, austin, tampa etc.

Why do police report more in atlanta? Do you have proof? I could say police report less in atlanta and its actually worse than shown for example! Do you have access to other cities police incidents and reports to show that they are all reporting less than atlanta? I dont buy this at all.

As for race relations I will take your word for it as you live there so I cant argue.

The question I would have is that blacks are treated decently as they should be in high end stores as you mentioned...how do minority whites get on in black neighborhoods of all classes?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Hmm not sure I agree with the weather statement you made. Detroit, Newark, Philadelphia, Flint, Cleveland etc they are all freezing cities with much higher crime than warmer cities such as san diego, san antonio, austin, tampa etc.

Why do police report more in atlanta? Do you have proof? I could say police report less in atlanta and its actually worse than shown for example! Do you have access to other cities police incidents and reports to show that they are all reporting less than atlanta? I dont buy this at all.

As for race relations I will take your word for it as you live there so I cant argue.

The question I would have is that blacks are treated decently as they should be in high end stores as you mentioned...how do minority whites get on in black neighborhoods of all classes?
Weather is not usually by itself the factor but when you have environments with high minority populations such as Philadelphia,L.A.,Cleveland,Flint,etc ,then it you will have more crime that is the culprit of a disenfranchised segment of society.

The FBI Uniform Crime reports is what it is called.This says it all right here:
Quote:
Data is voluntarily submitted by each jurisdiction and some jurisdictions do not appear in the table because they either did not submit data or it did not meet deadline
s

Quote:
The FBI web site recommends against using its data for ranking because these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents.[3] The FBI web site also recommends against using its data to judge how effective law enforcement agencies are, since there are many factors that influence crime rates other than law enforcement.

In November 2007, the executive board of the American Society of Criminology (ASC) went further than the FBI itself, and approved a resolution opposing not only the use of the ratings to judge police departments, but also opposing any development of city crime rankings from FBI Uniform Crime Reports (UCRs) at all. The resolution opposed these rankings on the grounds that they "fail to account for the many conditions affecting crime rates" and "divert attention from the individual and community characteristics that elevate crime in all cities", though it did not provide sources or further elaborate on these claims. The resolution states the rankings "represent an irresponsible misuse of the data and do groundless harm to many communities" and "work against a key goal of our society, which is a better understanding of crime-related issues by both scientists and the public".[5]

The U.S. Conference of Mayors passed a similar statement, which also committed the Conference to working with the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice "to educate reporters, elected officials, and citizens on what the (UCR) data means and doesn't mean."[5]
United States cities by crime rate (40,000

Regarding treatment of blacks and race relations.

Little background on Atlanta.Atlanta pretty much led the South in having better race relation through and after civil rights.
It was the first major city desegregate in the South.

Atlanta was smaller than New Orleans and roughly the size of Birmingham.
Racial conciliation and a major airport expansion led the progress and growth.

When Martin Luther King Jr.was murdered,cities erupted in Violence.Not Atlanta.Tensions were of course high like everywhere ,but with Mayor Allen and Robert Woodruff (Coca Cola President)as personal friends,they orchestrated a peaceful calm over the city by making arranging the body back to his family in Atlanta.

Ivan Alllen was the ONLY mayor from the South that testified in front of Congress in favor of passing the Civil Rights Bill.
Atlanta elected Maynard Jackson as the first black mayor of an American city.

Atlanta has one of the highest concentrations of Black millionaires after D.C.

You have to understand that this often visible wealth of African Americans and the power they have held in local government is not a usual occurrence on the level of cities like D.C. and Atlanta.

People(non black)SOMETIMES are uncomfortable when they come from other areas or cities where blacks don't have such obvious accrued wealth and power.

So yes,especially on these boards,you will hear people PM telling you its racist city.
I bet you most of those people saying these things are white.
Black people in Atlanta don't have a strong need to complain about racism in the current atmosphere.

In other cities like Dallas with much higher Hispanic populations,ask them about racism.

No Im not saying its higher in Dallas but just that different groups are always the target where they are large minority groups of different races.
That was my point earlier.Dallas,Atlanta,Houston,or Austin are not anymore racist than the other.Anyone saying it is just postulating.

I don't want to suggest there have not been hiccups on this matter,their have been for sure,but overall Atlanta today is very tolerant of everybody until you go further out of the far suburbs, which like many cities,then you see it more conservative.

Last edited by afonega1; 11-04-2013 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Weather is not usually by itself the factor but when you have environments with high minority populations such as Philadelphia,L.A.,Cleveland,Flint,etc ,then it you will have more crime that is the culprit of a disenfranchised segment of society.

s

Yeah I know this already but how do you know Atlanta has reported more or less than other cities? How do we know Detroit just doesnt report loads of things that other cities dont?
How do you know Atlanta doesnt report more or less than city X city Y or city Z I mean?
There is no evidence I mean so you cant really use that as a factor in this debate.
Also im 99.9% sure a murder would be reported by the police. Maybe some kids stealing sweets from a store may be left off a report to the fbi lol but I think murders are bit different! And Atlanta's murder rate is in top 10 or 12 in the country for a city over 250000.
Any way you look at it Atlanta is one of the leaders in murder rate, aggravated assault, burglary, violent crime.
I hear what youre saying only some parts of the city are responsible for these high figures but this is probably the case for all the cities on the list. Theres not a special rule for atlanta I mean.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah I know this already but how do you know Atlanta has reported more or less than other cities? How do we know Detroit just doesnt report loads of things that other cities dont?
How do you know Atlanta doesnt report more or less than city X city Y or city Z I mean?
There is no evidence I mean so you cant really use that as a factor in this debate.
Also im 99.9% sure a murder would be reported by the police. Maybe some kids stealing sweets from a store may be left off a report to the fbi lol but I think murders are bit different! And Atlanta's murder rate is in top 10 or 12 in the country for a city over 250000.
Any way you look at it Atlanta is one of the leaders in murder rate, aggravated assault, burglary, violent crime.
I hear what youre saying only some parts of the city are responsible for these high figures but this is probably the case for all the cities on the list. Theres not a special rule for atlanta I mean.
I did'nt just say it.The FBI,City Mayors Conference and other bodies all concurred that it is inaccurate for VARIOUS reasons to rank these cities using this data.

Quote:
The main problem with the FBI's Uniform Crime Report, according to UCLA professor Mark Kleiman, is that some cities have broader boundaries and include safer, suburban areas in their crime reports. The center of the city might be crime-ridden, but the safer outskirts skew the overall picture.

Another problem with the UCR is that different police precincts have different ways of classifying aggravated assault versus "simple assault," Carnegie Melon's Alfred Blumstein told us.

Read more: Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider
Remember earlier how I mentioned land area of these cities are issues that cause skewed results?

Atlanta ranked just ahead of Minneapolis on this list.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:

s

Regarding treatment of blacks and race relations.

Little background on Atlanta.Atlanta pretty much led the South in having better race relation through and after civil rights.
It was the first major city desegregate in the South.

Atlanta was smaller than New Orleans and roughly the size of Birmingham.
Racial conciliation and a major airport expansion led the progress and growth.

When Martin Luther King Jr.was murdered,cities erupted in Violence.Not Atlanta.Tensions were of course high like everywhere ,but with Mayor Allen and Robert Woodruff (Coca Cola President)as personal friends,they orchestrated a peaceful calm over the city by making arranging the body back to his family in Atlanta.

Ivan Alllen was the ONLY mayor from the South that testified in front of Congress in favor of passing the Civil Rights Bill.
Atlanta elected Maynard Jackson as the first black mayor of an American city.

Atlanta has one of the highest concentrations of Black millionaires after D.C.

You have to understand that this often visible wealth of African Americans and the power they have held in local government is not a usual occurrence on the level of cities like D.C. and Atlanta.

People(non black)SOMETIMES are uncomfortable when they come from other areas or cities where blacks don't have such obvious accrued wealth and power.

So yes,especially on these boards,you will hear people PM telling you its racist city.
I bet you most of those people saying these things are white.
Black people in Atlanta don't have a strong need to complain about racism in the current atmosphere.

In other cities like Dallas with much higher Hispanic populations,ask them about racism.

No Im not saying its higher in Dallas but just that different groups are always the target where they are large minority groups of different races.
That was my point earlier.Dallas,Atlanta,Houston,or Austin are not anymore racist than the other.Anyone saying it is just postulating.

I don't want to suggest there have not been hiccups on this matter,their have been for sure,but overall Atlanta today is very tolerant of everybody until you go further out of the far suburbs, which like many cities,then you see it more conservative.
Cool. So why do white people sometimes feel uncomfortable im your opinion? Are they made to feel uncomfortable would you say?

Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I did'nt just say it.The FBI,City Mayors Conference and other bodies all concurred that it is inaccurate for VARIOUS reasons to rank these cities using this data.

Remember earlier how I mentioned land area of these cities are issues that cause skewed results?

Atlanta ranked just ahead of Minneapolis on this list.
Yeah but youre still missing my point. There is no proof that there are less reported crimes or more reported crimes in any of the cities. If there are please post the link.
Atlanta still has top 10 highest murder rates in the usa regardless of what part or pocket of the city the data was taken from.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Cool. So why do white people sometimes feel uncomfortable im your opinion? Are they made to feel uncomfortable would you say?
This is not an Atlanta pronblem.This is nation wide.Its not pervasive by any means.Im quite sure if any white person in England might feel uncomfortable also if they were in a majority minority neighborhood with little white residents.

Minorities are used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City