Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cities ranked by violent crime PER CAPITA.

There - no one has to actually do math to understand this table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 AM

89 posts, read 96,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cities ranked by violent crime PER CAPITA.

There - no one has to actually do math to understand this table.
Atlanta higher than houston as expected.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post

I'm good at math and I'm pretty sure the FBI statistics team is good at math too. Please look at the tables and look at the metro area stats (which were the stats being referred too). Also, your method for calculating per capita stats is hilariously wrong as well. You divide 100,000 by the population and times that by the number of violent crimes.
To work out which has the higher violent crime you divide the violent crime number by the population in question. This shows what percentage of the population was effected by violent crimes

Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London_knowledge View Post
To work out which has the higher violent crime you divide the violent crime number by the population in question. This shows what percentage of the population was effected by violent crimes
To determine how many crimes occurred for every 100,000 people, you do the method that I stated and the FBI does. As you saw (hopefully) the Houston metro (which in the U.S. means the major city and its surrounding municipalities) has more crimes occurring for 100,000 people than the Atlanta metro. The Atlanta area suffers from St. Louis syndrome: crappy urban center, but the overall area in which the people are bound to is relatively well. Btw, the method you use does show the same thing, so I'll give you that. If you applied your method to the metros, you would see that the results would still agree with me. But your method doesn't look as good (per capita looks better than a percentage with -03 exponent.)

Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 AM

24,546 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Which dallas tornado are you talking about recently? The highest number if deaths from a tornado in dallas is 24. That was in 1919.
The 1906 san fran earthquake killed over 3000 alone.
You do the math. So I will repeat- in my opinion and in many other people's opinions im sure, anyone who doesn't take into consideration the high risk earthquake factor of a city before they move there is a moron.

Maybe you should stay in London - a town with no hurricanes, tornadoes, unpleasant contemporaries, problems of any kind, a couple of morons maybe.

Does it matter if one person gets killed or 3000? For those left behind it is devastating. You have never worked clean up after a disaster.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 AM

24,546 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
So where should everyone in America pack up and move too?
London?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Maybe you should stay in London - a town with no hurricanes, tornadoes, unpleasant contemporaries, problems of any kind, a couple of morons maybe.

Does it matter if one person gets killed or 3000? For those left behind it is devastating. You have never worked clean up after a disaster.
I never said deaths werent devastating whether its 1 or 100 someone has lost a loved one, this wasnt my point. Please don't put words in my mouth again.
It matters to me when deciding to relocate, I will always pick a place thats natural disasters are likely to cause 1 death rather than a place where 3000 would be the result. Its called being sensible and valuing your life.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:34 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
This website cannot help delusional, ignorant people. Please stay in London.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
This website cannot help delusional, ignorant people. Please stay in London.
Why am I delusional? !
I know what I want and I have found some great cities to help me make my decision next week.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Why am I delusional? !
I know what I want and I have found some great cities to help me make my decision next week.

Come on over and enjoy living in Texas! It's a great place to make your home! You'll find that people are very welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City